It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There’s Been A Startling Rise In Suicide Rates In The U.S.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   
There’s Been A Startling Rise In Suicide Rates In The U.S.

If you need any more proof that mental health disorders are a public health issue, look no further than rising suicide rates over the last decade and a half. Deaths from suicide have increased 24 percent from 1999 to 2014, according to an analysis of Americans aged 5 and up conducted by researchers at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

While the CDC researchers can’t definitively pin down why the rates are increasing (there are multifarious factors that contribute to mental illness and self-harm), the study’s results are a huge wakeup call: Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the U.S. “Suicide is not just a mental health issue — it is a public health issue, and it is preventable,” said Kristin Holland, a behavioral scientist in the CDC’s Division of Violence Prevention Surveillance.

“There are quite a few programs that have been shown to effectively prevent suicide, and at the CDC we are continuing to evaluate innovative suicide prevention strategies.”

From the same source...

I find the American Indian and Alaskan Native and White demographic increase to be a bit...hmm... odd I guess. This article comes at a very relevant time for me as my soon to be brother in law just committed suicide on April 15th 2016, he was 36.

I have my theories as to why. It was an intentional overdose, there was a letter, and after analyzing it numerous ways, it was written in a very angry, substance fueled, very 'in the moment w/ complete emotional tunnel vision' and in a contradictory and incoherent fashion. However, though he was a heavy drinker, he was also on anti-anxiety medication Klonopin and was started on a 'new' anti-depressant in early Feb (we're waiting to receive his meds back from the Sheriff's Office Detectives, after I can research side effects) which they had to start off at 20mg and move him up to an eventual 200mg. He was also on blood pressure meds Metoprolol. He wasn't in a good place financially, was struggling to find a job, was hanging by a thread with his living arrangements and seemingly decided that this was the answer.

He had just gotten his meds refilled on the 5th. He took what was left in all three bottles, drank 3 beers and 2/3's of a small bottle of vodka and then went to sleep... forever.

The side effects on these anti-depressants usually say 'suicidal thoughts may occur, tell your Doctor if you have these thoughts...etc.' on most if not all that I have seen advertised. But, I know he wouldn't have told his Doctor that even if he was feeling those thoughts.

Here's the thing though. He wasn't the type to kill himself... I know this may be my own coping mechanism. I have known him for over a year and we actually had some really in-depth conversations. One of them being suicide... and during the discussion I remember us both being in agreement that suicide was for weak people who can't handle all that life throws at them, so I find it hard to believe...

I know this is a tough subject, but I am going through a fresh experience and when I happened upon this article I knew it was time to come here and seek out opinions...even better, and if you're willing, any experiences that you have had.

More importantly, through this discussion perhaps we can begin to build some patterns and correlations.

If you happen upon this thread and you feel like harming yourself, please call someone and talk about it.

Need help? United States:
1 (800) 273-8255
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week
Languages: English, Spanish

For those not in the US...
Here is a pre-defined Google search link, after pressing the link, enter your location in the Google search bar after
Suicide Help Line in

Thank you for reading... now... go hug someone and tell them you love them... even if it's yourself!
edit on 4/23/2016 by UberL33t because: BBCode adjustment

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: UberL33t

We have had similar suicide issues in certain parts of Canada. Specifically in provinces experiences mass layoffs and job losses.

I don't think this is a mental health issue as much as it is a quality of life issue. The rates of suicide coincide with communies experiencing high unemployment rates and high drug addiction. I think the drug addiction has a lot to do with the high unemployment as well.

I also think that this also is reflective of how many don't feel a part of a community anymore. We work we travel we watch tv or go online then sleep and start over. People don't spend time in large groups as much as they used to. We are social beings but we substitute actual human contact with internet forums and text messaging.

All in all its something horrible. I worked as a youth care worker for many years and lost 4 of the young people I worked with to suicide.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Joecanada11

lost 4 of the young people I worked with to suicide

I am very sorry to hear that. Let me ask, did you experience any survival guilt?

+9 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   

The main cause of suicide is being miserable, and the thought of it continuing for the rest of your natural life triggers the crisis. Were now in financial prisons in a world where the illusion of actually getting a head by honest effort is a dream . I think more and more people will say f#@%$ it. As they realise they cant win in a rigged system.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity

The main cause of suicide is being miserable, and the thought of it continuing for the rest of your natural life triggers the crisis. Were now in financial prisons in a world where the illusion of actually getting a head by honest effort is a dream . I think more and more people will say f#@%$ it. As they realise they cant win in a rigged system.

I'd be curios to know how many of those people in your scenario would be on anti-depressants?

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   
There are a number of reasons why one would take their own life. In the end, they lose hope and give up. It is so sad. I am sorry for your loss.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I think the western worlds making life harder on everyone with technology and not easier.

Believe it or not the white priveledge myth is exactly that.

In my experience I am expected to be successful and have money and am looked down upon by my entire family for starting college at such a young age.

Because I am a white male I get no slack cut I am expected to be this or that at 30 years old.

Also the family structure in the white community is horrid.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: UberL33t

lost 4 of the young people I worked with to suicide

I am very sorry to hear that. Let me ask, did you experience any survival guilt?

As a youth worker I experienced alot of guilt. Many of the other staff I worked with felt a sense of responsibility. Two of the young men we worked with had just become fathers of newborns. One of those two hung himself outside of a building in our city centre. I quit my job not long after that and switched to sales.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   

and switched to sales

Can never go wrong there, people will always have to buy stuff. Thanks for sharing your story

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   

I've been hospitalized before for being a danger to myself twice as I've struggled with depression since the end of my fighting career. Because I've chosen such an abstract lifestyle I've been shunned By family and it took a long time to realize if was because of them and not me.

Ive dealt with my depression through a process of self actualization and realizing new potential goals.

I wasted my talent drinking and I was on my way to beihg one of the best athletes in the world when I self destruct.

I don't talk about it much but finding new goals to achieve on par with my drive for fighting was the biggest part of the process.

I also love teaching boxing and that has saved me.

I rarely talk about it but it may help someone reading this.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Thank you. ...and to your post... why the upsurge? If suicides have been increasing, then so too should the cause have. So, what else... has been upsurging at relatively the same amount? Would take some digging to see if any patterns emerged... I have a feeling there is one.

a reply to: onequestion

technology

I concur... it is destroying our instinctive, social, human nature imho.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Thank you for sharing. I actually was hospitalized last year for a couple of weeks after struggling with depression and harmful behavior to myself as well.

It's a tough thing to deal with. I'm convinced it's more environmental and circumstances based than mental health based in my case anyways. I guess I thought I would be somewhere else at this point in my life.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   

I think that we determine our worth by our success financially and with the decline in the economy its harder and harder for people to be on their own and with gen x not understanding that many younger kids kill themselves out of desperation because they cannot meet the requirements of their friends and family there for having no self worth.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   

The worst part is no one you ever meet knows how to deal with it.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I think its part of the great die off...
Humans do not see themselves as a part of nature...they look at nature as if from the outside....
In reality they are integral parts of nature...both as a group and as individuals....
Now, look at the different mass die offs of species and such that we increasingly hear about...
Is it just better media or is this suicide thing nature wide and growing....think about it....

edit on 24-4-2016 by bandersnatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: bandersnatch

I think were entering a new period of cold and global warming is complete bs.

I see the darkening of culture and the decline in population as evidence that IRS about to get real cold.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: bandersnatch

suicide thing nature wide and growing....think about it....

I'm reminded of this...

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Oh well then theres........................HOCKEY !!

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I think the rise has to do with a combo of multiple things. From disparity in income in their demographic, aging people are finding there's nothing to retire to or with. Also, to mention the shift in society where younger people can no longer afford or have the housing facilities to take care of their aging parents let alone themselves as they have done in the past.

Prescription painkiller dependency eventually makes the brain become more tolerant to the drug, the person then turns to more prescription drugs(bought on the street), harder drugs and or alcohol to compensate for that. In turn many lose everything, more often than not end up homeless due to the consequences of addiction.

I live in a state that has one of the highest suicide rates in youth and elderly men. Here it's due to the poor economy as well as how methamphetamines and alcohol have been a mainstay in the lives of many, availability of a suicide tool(guns), etc. This is now becoming more common in females overall-60 percent rise in suicide rates from 1999 to 2014-.

Anti-depressants as mentioned, are likely a part of it as well being that since some are painkillers as well sometimes used for both mental health and pain issues). As well as especially considering how may people are on them now days.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

I think that we determine our worth by our success financially and with the decline in the economy its harder and harder for people to be on their own and with gen x not understanding that many younger kids kill themselves out of desperation because they cannot meet the requirements of their friends and family there for having no self worth.

This. Here's your root cause of suicide increases, and it's not just for Gen X'ers, either. Every age group is feeling the pressure to measure up, and struggling to achieve it. We have a very effed up idea of how to exist (if you're not worth a lot, you're not worth anything) and people are seeing that for what it is. Those who feel the best option is to throw in the towel & quit life are free to do so, but it's up to society to fix the mess we made of living. Assuming society at large cares beyond status and net worth.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join