It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There’s Been A Startling Rise In Suicide Rates In The U.S.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: UberL33t

Hi Uber1337. You are indeed, uber leet. I will start by saying I am very sorry for your loss. I have had a gun to my head at 13 years of age, and I was going to intentionally overdose on opiates a few years ago. The first time, I just couldn't do it. The second time, I might have, but my best-friend happened to be in town and called me that night, and instead of what i had planned, I shared with him and lived through the night. Both times, I was not thinking clearly and I had lots of issues/problems that I thought were insurmountable. In that state, it was very much a tunnel-vision, and Suicide seemed the best option. I have gone through a Rehab program, and have known too many people take their own lives/ overdose. It is very, very sad.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any, honestly not sure what else to add in as I don't want to ramble on.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

In your opinion... of all the reasons you mentioned, what would you say would be the #1 cause for the 60% increase in women?

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: UberL33t

In your opinion... of all the reasons you mentioned, what would you say would be the #1 cause for the 60% increase in women?

Two words, public image.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Sourcery

Sourcery.. you said plenty, and it was quite comforting to get that validation. I appreciate you, and the same goes, PM is always open

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Makes perfect sense.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Makes perfect sense.

Yup.

I can get hot chicks but i take average over hot because hot chicks tend to be the nutty ones. The average ones can outshine perceived flaws to the point where I don't even notice or my perception is altered.

I am somewhat shallow however so please forgive me women I really try.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:00 AM
link   

ETA: Failure and gaps in the mental health system is an issue as well. Would wager that rates pretty high maybe near #1. For some it's a dead end if the depression is caused by not being able to find work,have income or housing.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   

The mental health industry here is a complete joke.

Its run by a bunch of dunces with no real personal experience for the most part just a degree they thought would be easy and still make money.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Based on my perspective do you think the media and government need to take responsibility for lying about the economy?

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: Joecanada11

The worst part is no one you ever meet knows how to deal with it.

Yes they don't know how to react to it. Doctors want to push pills. Insurance companies are far more willing to pay for medication rather than therapy when empirical studies show that a good psychologist using modern therapt practice has far better results than medication. Our system is twisted. We've replaced conmunity and a sense of belonging with pills and electronic devices.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   

I think the government should be COMPLETELY transparent.. with the exception of various national security matters/secrets, we the people should have that right. If that were the case, the media would have no choice but to report the truth.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Totally agree.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:09 AM
link   

I'm also sorry for your loss I meant to have that in my original post but it for erased somehow.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Makes perfect sense.

Being in the digital age of selfie addicts and social media norms, often people are judged by their digital presence even when finding work. That's lead to more plastic surgery because of complexes about not getting the right picture angle, etc. Studies have shown that social media makes people depressed because their lives never measure up to such as other women's Facebooks who share their vacations, great careers, beautiful pictures, etc. It's keeping up with the Kardashians basically.

Observe the impact on how media has brought young women and even old to the heights of insecurity due to the perfection in Photoshopped perfect of already perfect or near perfect models. Aging looks are shunned upon for one. Also, the even bigger factor is weight. (Okay not to stir the pot on the "Airline Obesity" debate that went on where I could only vaguely observe at the time): The country is changing, American obesity is at an all time high due to the lifestyle changes(quality of food has gone done so much as well). Larger women not only make less money but are treated very differently in life overall.

So in that way they may be right, maybe not the top reason but it's there. Some might say the "Me Generation" is a failure anyway which may have lead to the acceptance of the Social Media display of everything in people's daily lives.
edit on 24-4-2016 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Joecanada11

I'm also sorry for your loss I meant to have that in my original post but it for erased somehow.

Same, didn't get around to that yet, but meant to.

Sorry for your loss and thanks for the thread as this needs to be addressed and discussed.
edit on 24-4-2016 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:23 AM
link   
&

Thank you both for your condolences.

I agree, this needs to be discussed... maybe we can have a eureka moment in this discussion and call the CDC, because apparently they don't know...

the CDC researchers can’t definitively pin down why the rates are increasing (there are multifarious factors that contribute to mental illness and self-harm), the study’s results are a huge wakeup call

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Well said... it almost seems orchestrated in some aspects ...I dunno... maybe I'm just hyper-conspiritating

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   

A good percentage I would warrant, the way the society is rigged at the moment if your depressed its usually about lacking personal recourses, ie. poor in coping strategies. Could be lack of money,or personal relationships draining you. When your up against it, be assured their are many in the same boat, the natural thing to do is form a hunting group, then have an ideas meeting to think your way out of it . Then a least you have the main ingredient which is hope.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 02:45 AM
link   

With such a large jump, it has to be in the food, the water or the air.

There has been issues in Canada after large layoffs, but the same hapens elsewhere without suicide.

posted on Apr, 24 2016 @ 02:57 AM
link   
On the rise in the uk too, but then mental health funding has been cut at a time of austerity and men are finding it harder to fulfill their role as provider as budgets are squeezed and well paying jobs are more scarce. Society is becoming meaner as well with the right wing media continuing its demonisation of the poor

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join