It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone ever had to write a letter of intent?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Hello ATS.
I am curious if anyone here has ever had to write a letter of intent to attend a university or college? I am thinking very deeply about going back to school at 30 years old to a renowned art and design university. They require I write a letter of intent and am not sure what to write, I understand it is supposed to be all about me. Other than that, I am clueless. Some help by way of insight and examples would be fantastic, this move if I make it would drastically alter my life one way or the other as well as completely change my profession.

Thanks for stopping in!

B-man

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

Did they not give you a topic? Many universities have assigned topics or multiple choice options.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
No, they didn't get me set up with a topic. This school is trying to recruit me, last week they invited me an like 20 other people from the north east to go to a catered presentation/ Q&A/ Why you are here type of events. At the time the floor was open to questions I had asked about it. The gentleman that was giving the presentation was the director of recruitment for the north east simply said, "Its all about you, this is your time to write about you." I thought that was kind of vague and I don't know where to begin to write something like this.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   

They want to see your creativity. Draw a comic book describing what you want from an arts education.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
This site helped me when I apply for foundation or government grants...

www.grantwatch.com...
edit on 20-4-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct
I was thinking about doing something like that but I am not sure how acceptable that is or isn't.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
Hey buddy, thank you for that resource!

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
Draw a comic book describing what you want from an arts education.

Good idea. Make sure it includes tons of graphic violence and gratuitous sex.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   

What are your intentions behind becoming an artist? That letter will give them an idea of your chosen artistry, reasons and how sincere, determined you are, etc.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
I thought that was kind of vague and I don't know where to begin to write something like this.

Interesting. If I were you I would try to pick something compelling, perhaps your reason(s) for wanting to revisit attending college at such a later stage in your career/life.

Try to include some value for both you and the university for your decision to attend.

edit on 20-4-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   

They've all ready recruited you. They're an arts college. The only reason for universities to be vague is to allow your mind to take over. They want to see your unadulterated thoughts.

I'd advise against basing your letter of intent on any examples you see online. It should represent you only. Your hopes, dreams, and fears regarding attending college as an adult artist.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   

I would say, think deeply about why you want to go to school and pursue that degree. What future do you envision as a result of this education? If it's relateable, what are your interests and passions, and did they contribute to this goal?

How do you intend to be successful, handling homework, projects, tests, etc. while balancing a healthy non-school life?

I would try to explain where you are coming from, where you're trying to go, and how you plan to get there. It won't be like your typical letter of intent I'm used to, but here is template that was useful for me in drafting up an LOI for a Hemp/Farm Bill project:

[Your Name]

[Street Address]

[City, St Zip]

[Optional – Email Address]

[Date]

Your Name

Your Title

Mailing Address

Dear (Recipient):

[Short introduction paragraph – indicate you are submitting this letter with the intent to do a specific action (purchase, partner, acquire, license, etc.). Indicate that the intent is based on the following conditions.]

[Define the specifics about the item behind the intent listing all pertinent variations of the item or supporting material. Provide indication or your intent with respects to the liabilities.]

[Considerations – Propose what you are willing to provide as compensation or other as consideration for the specifics listed above. Be sure to define amounts, timing.]

[Provide conditions for the transaction. This may include conditions on due diligence, limitations on further seeking other interested parties or confidentiality.]

[Indicate that this letter is not an official offer and that all details would need to be negotiated and executed through a formal Purchase (or other) Agreement.]

[Indicate your expected timing for the transaction to take place assuming you were selected.]

Sincerely,

X. _____________________________ (signature)

[Your Typed Name]

hope it helps Brotherman.

PS You still kicking around Vermont or have you moved? Hope all is well!

edit on 20-4-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Atsbhct
Draw a comic book describing what you want from an arts education.

I had thought in that direction like I was saying sort of. I was going to video me working on various things like my comic book, an animated cartoon I am doing, oil painting on a large canvas, making sculptures. then edit some of it like my comic section like a speed drawing and other various design choices all the while explaining I'm one bad mother ****er. If accepted I would be the only guy on campus with a big diesel rig weldin truck lol

"Interesting. If I were you I would try to pick something compelling, perhaps your reason(s) for wanting to revisit attending college at such a later stage in your career/life.

Try to include some value for both you and the university for your decision to attend."

I think it may have something to do with spending most of my later teens (17-18-19) to my mid 20's in the marine corps. After getting out of the service I have been desperately struggling to not be homeless again. I made lots of poor decisions out of desperation, I have been homeless, I have also been beaten and robbed, hell my place in the ghetto I once had a guy bust through my front door with his face overdosing and died on the living room floor twice. I am 30 now and things still haven't changed much despite my better efforts and intentions. I want to say **** it and try something new, learn new things. I am not sure I can be pretentious enough to consider my self an artist, I haven't really done anything that makes me believe I qualify for that title yet.
edit on 20-4-2016 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

I like it. Shows tons of creativity and individuality.

I hope this all works out for you. Good luck.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I think it would be a good idea to tell them that you plan to vote for Bernie Sanders (even if you don't intend to).

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Be sure to end it with a cliffhanger so they get hooked in and keep checking the mailbox for your Episode 2: Spring Break Shenanigans submittal

edit on 20-4-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
I think it would be a good idea to tell them that you plan to vote for Bernie Sanders (even if you don't intend to).

That's pretty funny

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
a reply to: Atsbhct
I was thinking about doing something like that but I am not sure how acceptable that is or isn't.

Doug Compton is great artist, comic books as well, he teaches at one of the universities I think on the east coast. A comic is probably a great method for the venue as it does show a great deal of creativity in both art and storytelling.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus Great idea. Also alot of gross stuff, wierd stuff, insane stuff, disrespectful stuff and in your face stuff.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Me personally,I would be vague back.

State your intentions are to get further in your education and career in order to better your future.
State what you are currently doing and just say you want to have more options.
Or you can take the "I like long walks on the beach" approach....your call.

Just be professional.

edit on 20-4-2016 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join