It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protests break out in Chicago after cop kills 16YO during foot chase

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Eilasvaleleyn

Do you have any idea how firearms work? If the kid didn't have a round chambered or the safety was on, there's plenty of time for the officer to draw, aim and shoot. No gunslinger BS needed.

It's more likely that Gary gang banger didn't know how to use his gun. This is real life, not a movie. Things happen.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn
a reply to: Sparkymedic

It's interesting that he pulled a gun on the cop and the cop managed to draw, aim, and shoot before he could. Must be one hell of a gunslinger, that cop.

That happens quite often. It's called training.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

Things like cops shooting unarmed civilians?

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Chicago is such a joke! People/kids shot daily in that cursed city, but one criminal (probably) armed kid running from the police gets shot and then NOW it's time to protest.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Hm, I suppose, but I find it hard to believe that he'd have his gun out aiming at the cop, and the cop managed to draw, aim, undo safety, shoot, before he pulled the trigger at least once. (Even if he missed.)

Was the gun recovered?

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Yes, the gun was recovered.

This kid was not unarmed, he aimed a gun at an officer and paid the ultimate price. Like I said before, if the kid didn't have a round chambered(and he most likely didn't, as he didn't get a shot off) then the officer had plenty of time to draw, aim and shoot.

All CCW classes in this State make sure you're proficient in un-holstering your firearm, aiming and firing with accuracy, within seconds. One minor setback from the gang banger would have given the officer all the time he needed.

Not sure why you don't believe an officer can't react within split seconds like he's trained to do?

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

They don't seem to be able to de-escalate the situation like they're trained to.

Well, trained to in other countries. I suppose American police are masterful shooters, but lacking in the "not killing people" department.
I guess it's the price you pay for having more guns than people.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Not sure how the officer could have deescalated the situation. He pulled a vehicle over that matched the description of a vehicle involved in an earlier shooting. The kid bailed from the car and ran with the officer in pursuit. While being chased, the kid pulled a gun and aimed at the officer. The officer then ended the threat.

I don't know if the kids gun misfired, if he didn't have a round chambered or if the safety was on. We won't know that until the investigation is over.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   

a reply to: Sparkymedic

It's interesting that he pulled a gun on the cop and the cop managed to draw, aim, and shoot before he could. Must be one hell of a gunslinger, that cop.

They tend to be...training and all. And I'm sure being from Chicago, this is probably not the first time the cop has had to draw their weapon. Let alone fire it.

Listen, I am no fan of people being killed, let alone by cops. I'm also no fan of corruption in the police rank and file. But I'm an even lesser fan of thug culture and people who make excuses for it.

Could this have been avoided? Yes. But don't take it all out on the cop. It takes two to tango.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   

They don't seem to be able to de-escalate the situation like they're trained to.

Well, trained to in other countries. I suppose American police are masterful shooters, but lacking in the "not killing people" department.
I guess it's the price you pay for having more guns than people.

Are you a cop? Have you ever had to deescalate a crisis situation? Have you ever had a gun pulled on you? I can say yes to two of those questions. Believe me...I wish I was a cop and I wish I had the gun in defense. Somehow, some way, I'm alive to tell my tale and I honestly rack it up to the fact that I probably sat on a horse shoe or cloverleaf or something that morning.

Cops have guns for a reason. They also usually have a split second to decide if they are going home at the end of their shift or not by using the gun or not.

If people continue to put themselves in these extremely high risk situations, they will continue to pay for it one way or another.

Man Surprises Cop With Knife

This link will hopefully have a video in it which shows exactly how quick police are trained to react with their weapon. I'm not gonna lie, I think he got lucky.

And in no way am I trying to tie this link into the current threads story. I'm merely trying to give evidence of how fast a reaction for going to a gun is. And believe me, there is NO reason that officer needed to be as restrained as he was.

In a perfect world, this kid would still be alive and probably laughing it all off with the cop as a little misunderstanding... But no such world exists...things are the way they are for a multitude of reasons, and accosting the actions of a police officer will not change that.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit
The MSM is already doing their role as agitator extraordinaire. Yet another angel killed by the privileged white devils!

Damn!!

Don't mess with that cop if he's able to put a lethal shot on something that skinny.

As most of the stars in this thread would suggest ... I too could care less if this thug was ushered into Hell all holy.

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 04:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9

Do you have any idea how firearms work? If the kid didn't have a round chambered or the safety was on, there's plenty of time for the officer to draw, aim and shoot. No gunslinger BS needed.

It's more likely that Gary gang banger didn't know how to use his gun. This is real life, not a movie. Things happen.

Obviously not...Lol.

Thank goodness some of us around here actually get it. So kudos for that!

Trying to explain this in even the most basic terms to some folks is futile. Totally futile.

Tons of other threads that claim the police are overly proficient, they shoot too much, etc. Now this...

In this thread, someone feels that there is just no way this well trained/professional policeman was able to get off a shot before some gang banging punk shot him.

WTAF??

Again...futile.

I probably could've gotten a shot off before gang banger did. I am pretty proficient with a pistol and if I had it holstered on my hip, open carry style it takes very little time to get a shot off. IF you know what you're doing, which you obviously do!

It is muscle memory in this type of situation. You do not think "gee, first let me unclip my holster, now next I need to turn off the safety....." Lol...Thank goodness someone gets it.

You act in order to stop the threat to your life in these types of situations.

I can only chalk it up to those with little to no life experience, or who have never had an actual life and death, adrenaline filled experience wouldn't get it.

Maybe if they left their SS and went to the range it would help.

God forbid this cop make it home to his family rather than to the morgue...Just another innocent murdered by the police. Those cops MUST be hiding something because there is just no way it could've gone down like that. /sarcasm

posted on Apr, 15 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

Most safety conscious people will not keep a round under the pin, but that is of little matter in terms of time. Many newer guns are double action anyway. There are two actions when you pull the trigger. First, the barrel rotates into position for a revolver or a round is ramped if there isn't one in the chamber already for a semi auto, while the hammer is being pulled back. The second action of the trigger pull is to drop the hammer. Simple.

This is the sequence:

Your thumb is on the safety as you clear the holster.
The target is in front of you already.
You keep your eyes on the target and bring the gun sights in to view. This means when you see the gun sites you are already rough-sited on your target. Depending on circumstances you can fine-site and fire, or just fire if need be. Usually you want to double tap anyway so if the first round is slightly off by the time you fire the second you should be on a good line.

For a skilled pro that takes about one second.

The fast draw record right now is .252 seconds. That includes .145 seconds for reaction time, which means the actual draw and fire was .107 seconds. If you blinked you could have missed it twice.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: jkm1864

He would be alive today if His parents loved Him and taught Him to respect authority. If You get pulled over by a armed man of authority Your first words should be "Yes Sir". We should also stop coddling to these idiots and they should be expected to act a certain way in society. The media and the demoncraps never hold the INDIVIDUAL responsible for their actions if they are a certain color. The rule of thumb for the idiots is if someone screws up blame it on racism or poverty and not the idiots actions. This line of reasoning needs to change because it has already destroyed that community and it's quickly destroying everything else.

While the cop was probably in the right here, I've never understood this respect you should automatically have for authority, especially police. Why is it necessary to verbally fellate them? Do you think a cop should be able to hassle you extra, or perhaps beat you because you're being rude? What about other professions in the US? Can a cashier punch and subdue a customer whose being a jackass? Not everyone is going to be nice all the time, that's not an excuse to assault them or go outside your job duties. Attitude is irrelevant.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
With all of the issues that has happened with in the past year, there are a few things that should be brought up.

As a citizen, I would like to know if there is a video of such, if not, then why are the officers not equipped with body cameras? What about all of the cell phone camera's and footage? That in itself would show one way or the other who is right in this aspect.

I am not saying the person who was shot is innocent, nor am I saying that the police are in the right. Just that with the advent of all of the video's around, that there should be footage of such, and it would show and prove one way who is right.

But there is one other aspect here, is that if the young person was a known gang member, then the young man is not such the innocent angel.

posted on Apr, 16 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   
One thing I can guarantee about all of this... one day American's are going to look back on all this, perhaps read the opinions and attitudes of their own parents, grandparents, great grandparents, and wonder how the f anyone could think that a kid being shot was ever excused as "deserved".

This is really f-ed up, really. These are children you lot are talking about, kids. You know, young people who need guidance in their lives, kids who made sh*tty decisions, kids who were in the wrong place at the wrong time, kids without the right opportunities, kids who grew up surrounded by the results of institutionalised and excused mass racism... and all you people can think is "good, another kid is dead".

America is one seriously f-ed up country, and with attitudes like the ones seen here I'm not at all surprised you have the problems you have.

You guys all want to blame "culture" (any other than your own, of course) when your attitudes to kids being shot dead in the street is just as messed up as any "cultural" problem you want to blame on others.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013
One thing I can guarantee about all of this... one day American's are going to look back on all this, perhaps read the opinions and attitudes of their own parents, grandparents, great grandparents, and wonder how the f anyone could think that a kid being shot was ever excused as "deserved".

He reached for a weapon. The key difference between this case and many of the other ridiculous cases is that this kid reached for a weapon that was actually there. Once you go for a gun I think it's pretty reasonable for law enforcement to do the same.

This is really f-ed up, really. These are children you lot are talking about, kids. You know, young people who need guidance in their lives, kids who made sh*tty decisions, kids who were in the wrong place at the wrong time, kids without the right opportunities, kids who grew up surrounded by the results of institutionalised and excused mass racism... and all you people can think is "good, another kid is dead".

Inner city culture is definitely one factor involved here but there are others. The same culture but using knives vs guns wouldn't necessitate as many shootings. I'm not thrilled this kid died, his death represents a failure of society, but he was going to shoot a cop who was actually contribute to society. To not defend the cop is an even bigger failure of society.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

He allegedly reached for a weapon, I believe. Was there footage or something?

With this case I actually believe that though, since it got the "chase" part to begin with.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 02:17 AM
link   
You know something, I do feel for this kid. Not for what he was/might be, but for what he could have been if his cards had turned a bit differently...

A doctor, maybe? Or any number of things that didn't involve "thug life", or whatever the current in phrase is.

I wonder what his parents/family are thinking? Away from the cameras, and the publicity...in the darkness just before the sun comes up, when reality has a habit of crashing down on ones head, and heart.

How soul crushing must it be to lose a child? For something so stupid and avoidable as running from a cop. Stop. Get arrested. Go to jail. Hell, even a beating from the cops...at least you're alive and can fight the battle another day...

Sad. ...and the story is repeated over and over and over, again.

#whatmighthavebeen.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   

a reply to: Aazadan

He allegedly reached for a weapon, I believe. Was there footage or something?

With this case I actually believe that though, since it got the "chase" part to begin with.

There was a chase, and they did recover a weapon. I'm inclined to believe them in this case.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join