It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian jets speed past US Navy destroyer in 'simulated attack profile

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I don't know much about manning battle stations or radar technology. But it seems to me that those middies(?) weren't too concerned. Reasonably then, I'd guess this to be a mutual exercise.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: neformore

Which is why I said, in a previous post, ANY news source, from ANYWHERE, and RECENTLY didn't I? After direct flyovers ended, and the 1973 treaty was signed, things calmed down, and things like this stopped happening until recently.

edit on 4/13/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

There are rules governing interactions in international waters and the US has the opportunity to raise a complaint regarding unsafe practices.

We're all pretty lucky that this was nothing more than Russia poking and prodding like an immature teenager. If they had been armed and done that, the US would have retaliated, and they would have been well within their rights to do so.

In fact, they could have in this instance if they'd wanted to, but they realize that Russia is attempting to escalate things primarily for internal nationalism. Putin is desperate for a cause to rally his people behind, he's doing pretty badly with his own people right now and he really needs a distraction.

And in before all the Kremlin nutters: Yes, Russia IS the aggressor. Russia invaded another country, annexed Crimea, has spent the last year running mock bombing raids on other nations, then cries like a little b*tch about how nasty the "evil NATO" is. Enough with the BS. If Putin doesn't want NATO on his doorstep, maybe he should stop acting like a warmonger threatening all his neighbours?

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Oh, oops... did we leave that on?

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I have to honestly admit I did smile. Don't get me wrong, I realize it is not a laughing matter...militarily speaking, but obviously, Russia knew they would not be any repercussion and they pushed it! Thus, confirming that Obama's military command would not do anything as they suspected.

Now why such a brazen act? I can only surmise either they wanted to show their countrymen that they are more powerful via proproganda or they are seeking to influence Americans into questioning their choices in our upcoming chief. Though would guess it is the first, to bolster more countrymen support in the future if more hardships have to be endured by citizens.

It was interesting to watch...and I can only imagine the adrenaline rush in the individual Russian pilots as they competed with each other on who could get the closest! Obviously, a game of testosterone that could have back fired but didn't.
edit on 4 13 2016 by CynConcepts because: Spell checker error

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: CheckPointCharlie
I don't know much about manning battle stations or radar technology. But it seems to me that those middies(?) weren't too concerned. Reasonably then, I'd guess this to be a mutual exercise.

That crew did look to be observing casually like it was just another day on the job.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

Flybys are pretty routine. In this case there were no weapons on the aircraft, so short of flying into them or strafing them there wasn't much they could do to the ship. The simulated attacks and the extremely short range were the big problems.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Like I said, if the US/UK/Nato has done it, it wouldn't be reported in the West, would it?

Look.... I get the "all holier than thou, we're the good guys and we stick to the law" schtick but really... no ones that naive any more, are they?

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Screw this too. I'm done talking to brick walls.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
This was Russia saying , "You want, come take!"

That was some fine flying, regardless!

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I smell B.S here I'm afraid.

If the Russian jets were simulating an attack, why did the Cook not fire upon them? If the Russians came as close as being claimed and the Cook was on alert, they should have shot at the Russians, how did they guess it was only a simulation?

If the Russians had conducted a simulated attack, U.S.S Cook would have been within their rights to fire at them, unless they were in Russian waters, which they probably were.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Screw it.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
and the US never encroaches foreign vessels.... 'to show strength' ... mind you sometimes in foreign territorial waters/land.

or am i making this up.

Good Christ why do so many on ats trot out this logical fallacy?

Oh America has done something at some point in its history?!? Well by God we sure as hell cant ever talk about somebody else doing something then, can we?!?

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

If the Russians had conducted a simulated attack, U.S.S Cook would have been within their rights to fire at them, unless they were in Russian waters, which they probably were.

The USA is eating up Russia's backyard and old Soviet space. They are sure to bite back with actions like these. Do American politicians not see that Russia has its backyard, that Russian people have their pride, that Moscow does see itself as being encircled by American power and interests. Maybe its time to pull back the military and let Russi have some space.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: GoShredAK

Flybys are pretty routine. In this case there were no weapons on the aircraft, so short of flying into them or strafing them there wasn't much they could do to the ship. The simulated attacks and the extremely short range were the big problems.

Roger that, thanks Zaph.

2nd

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   

a reply to: odzeandennz

Show me one time, in anyone's media, that there have been reports that the US has done anything like Russia has been doing recently. Yes, they do approach other nation's borders, that hasn't been disputed. But they don't fly within 30 feet of ships or aircraft, or zip around them like they have been in recent years.

What difference does it make? All we do for decades is go "rawr and stuff" back and forth.

They fly past out war ships and, you know, we build "missile shields" around them.

Personally, I say break out the BT TR3B's and the Russian counterpart and have a go at it. Let the aliens watch.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I'm not sure what the fuss is about, frankly.

This sort of thing was fairly common place, relatively speaking, back in the day.

Admittedly, most are probably sea tales being spun for the lubber (me). But this was just a tad bit over the top to my eye.

What the skipper of the destroyer should have done was have a air raid drill. Fire off some chaff, and flares just as the Russian bird was flyin' over...

Oops. So his airplanes engine ingested a bunch of chaff? So sorry. He might think twice next time about buzzing a US military vessel in international waters.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   

a reply to: nooneyouknow

The fact that it was in international waters and not a threat.

I don't know about not a threat. Those are Su24's! They could have very well fallen out of the sky for any number of reasons and crashed into the Cook.

If I were the captain of the Cook I wouldn't mind that I'm being buzzed if it were with say a newer aircraft that wasn't half liable to turn it's self into a self lit fireball and wreck into the poor ship.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

The USA is eating up Russia's backyard and old Soviet space. They are sure to bite back with actions like these. Do American politicians not see that Russia has its backyard, that Russian people have their pride, that Moscow does see itself as being encircled by American power and interests. Maybe its time to pull back the military and let Russi have some space.

I was about to reply a very similar response to a post here, but let them keep on believing the crap that comes out of the MSM.

Can you imagine if Mexico decided that they would prefer to work closely with Russia.and cease the trade agreements with the U.S?

Anyone remember The Korean and Vietnam wars?

Every Empire are challenged, throughout their reign and he U.S, whether you accept it or not, is an empire.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Sure sure that's why the SR71 was developed wasn't it......
So the Ruskies couldn't shoot them down.....
Look im not pro Russian here im anti prick waving military assholes who like to play chicken with nuclear war on our, (or their ) behalf....
Im thinking we should rope off a section of vacant ocean and let the whole works kill each other off....both sides...
Then maybe just maybe we can actually work on peace....
This constant posturing will end badly one day.....
WTF is the US doing with its hundreds of foreign bases ......
Its constant far flung fleets of ships and its never ending military adventuring....
The Baltic is a primarily inland sea.....
provocations lead to confrontations lead to conflagrations...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join