It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian jets speed past US Navy destroyer in 'simulated attack profile

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 05:11 AM
link   
They were probably just trying to see what switches would be flipped to the on position so they can see what were made of. Restraint is the name of the game.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Russia defends pilots who buzzed US Navy destroyer.

Russian defense officials Thursday rejected U.S. criticism of two Russian pilots who buzzed an American guided-missile destroyer in the Baltic Sea earlier this week.

Video :

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
The Gang That Couldn't Fly Straight

a reply to: Ddrneville

(My personal opinions follow)

Predictably, the only beneficiaries of shenanigans like these are the U.S., its allies, and their increasingly successful efforts to depict Russia as a reckless and belligerent rogue nation in need of "containment".

When people can see the video evidence and contrast that to the statements of Russian officials, it reveals Russian leaders to be either incompetent, liars or incompetent liars.

This, in turn, makes the case for more military spending by NATO and accelerating such initiatives as the NATO missile defense system, which Russia rightly protests as a direct threat to their national security.

NATO encroachment is indeed quite real and the U.S is indeed not to be trusted, which is all the more reason why the Russian government needs to put an end to these sorts of childish stunts and bring their "A" game. Or, failing that, they can continue down a road that leads only deeper into the abyss.

As things stand, I'm sure the military-industrial complex will quietly thank them for their patronage during the next round of congressional budget hearings, where mashups of videos like these will no doubt be all the rage among defense lobbyists.

I fully understand and agree with Russia's concerns about Western expansionism and wish them well in their efforts to counter it. I am very fond of the Russian people, have been for decades, and never tire of seeing President Putin show how "junior varsity" President Obama can be on the world stage.

That's why it galls me so much to see Russia trying so desperately to position itself as the next North Korea. Diplomatically, Putin is defeating his own purpose by allowing the Russian military to behave like undisciplined frat boys instead of military professionals.

Russia should be smarter than this. Here's hoping they figure that out before they lose what little international support they have left.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Screw this too. I'm done talking to brick walls.

Sorry you left Zaph.

A lot of us really appreciate your input

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: spy66
Thank you for copying the image link from the html source.

But that was not my point, I know how to get the preview picture and I know how clickbait works on youtube.
What I wanted to say was, that this scene is not in the video, it´s not even the same ship from looks.

They were close, but not as close as shown in the preview picture that has nothing to do with the video.
I know it´s not a big deal but it tells me the one uploading did this on purpose. Maybe clickbait or his own agenda.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

The photo is from an article posted by the United States European Command here:

US Navy Ship Encounters Aggressive Russian Aircraft in Baltic Sea

It's 2 of 7 in "Related Photos", comes with a hi-res version and is captioned:

160412-N-ZZ999-008 BALTIC SEA (April 12, 2016) A Russian Sukhoi Su-24 attack aircraft makes a very low altitude pass by USS Donald Cook (DDG 75) April 12, 2016. Donald Cook, an Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer forward deployed to Rota, Spain, is conducting a routine patrol in the U.S. 6th Fleet area of operations in support of U.S. national security interests in Europe. (U.S. Navy photo/Released)

I haven't been able to make a positive determination about the video, but it appears it was shot on April 11, while the closer fly-by photos were taken April 12, both by USS Donald Cook crew members.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   
In the event of combat, i would hope these fellows would have jobs to do or something. Clearly, if these guys thought there was any danger whatsoever they'd probaby not be crowding the deck for the best view possible. Frankly, these guys seem entertained, this will probably be the exciting highlight of most these sailors tour and they'll have a great story with news articles and this video to back it up for the rest of their lives. I wonder how much Russia spent on this airshow.

edit on 14-4-2016 by LordSnow21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: LordSnow21

The crew of the Donald Cook were definitely entertained, to be sure, so at least somebody got something out of it.

As for the cost, that will be paid as an aggregate expense in the months and years to come, as displays like these are used to justify tighter economic sanctions, further diplomatic isolation of Russia, and greater militarization of Western Europe.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: mazzroth
I'm betting that Mig tried to use an electronic warfare device to shut down the electronics on the Destroyer just like one did back in 2014 seen here... www.voltairenet.org... . I also bet that the US has battle hardened itself since that encounter the Donald Cook had with a mig and spooked the heck out of the crew. Interesting how it is the same ship, perhaps the Ruskies are seeing if it got an upgrade ?

Oh wow, there are still people who believe this Russian news made hoax?.. You're a victim of the Russian propaganda machine.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: mazzroth
I'm betting that Mig tried to use an electronic warfare device to shut down the electronics on the Destroyer just like one did back in 2014 seen here... www.voltairenet.org... . I also bet that the US has battle hardened itself since that encounter the Donald Cook had with a mig and spooked the heck out of the crew. Interesting how it is the same ship, perhaps the Ruskies are seeing if it got an upgrade ?

The original link said that the system used was a Khibiny. If that is the case, it would have only tried to confuse the radar and not shut down anything on a vessel hardened for an EMP pulse. One sad old Fencer with an ECM module wouldn't have done it. It doesn't have enough power to bother US radar systems on that class of vessel.

from en.wikipedia.org...(electronic_countermeasures_system)

"Khibiny (L-175V) (Хибины) (Л-175В) is Soviet / Russian aircraft electronic countermeasures (ECM) system.

The system is designed for radio direction-finding and probing signal source irradiation allowing it to distort reflected signal parameters. This helps to
Delay aircraft detection;
Mask the true subject against false reflections;
Cause range finding difficulties, namely in speed and angular positions;
Degrading Maintenance Mode "on the aisle" when scanning antenna beam radar;
Increase the time and difficulty of capturing an object during real-time active scanning."

There is more relating to the 2014 event.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

Nice LOL

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

originally posted by: CynConcepts
I have to honestly admit I did smile. Don't get me wrong, I realize it is not a laughing matter...militarily speaking, but obviously, Russia knew they would not be any repercussion and they pushed it! Thus, confirming that Obama's military command would not do anything as they suspected.

So you would presumably prefer our leaders to act dangerously, like Putin, with immature bravado, than with common sense for the greater good?

The US didn't do anything because they're the ones not seeking to escalate this and create something more dangerous, Putin on the other hand seems entirely irresponsible and dangerous, willing to risk all out war for nothing more than brownie points with his equally immature public.

Real leaders don't act so irresponsibly, and it should rightly lead Russians to wonder just who has control of Russian military - was this really a sanctioned act by the leader of a nation, or was it a rogue element within the Russian military taking actions independently?

Either way, many sensible Russians will now be wondering how stable their government is, and they should be wondering exactly that.

Maybe the high speed passes on the Cook were an attempt to provoke a response as a distraction to push the Panama papers to the second page. Putin is said to be a prominent entry.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Majic
Thanks for taking the time to research the pick.

Appreciate your contributions

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Majic

Same for me, that cleared it up, it has nothing to do with the actual video but with an incident a day later (on the same ship)

edit on 14-4-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
The people here saluting this action are ignorant, immature, and probably not well in the head. I've never seen such desperation.

Let's be honest here. Russia wants to take the wheel in world affairs, but they've proven incompetent, crooked, and plain stupid at every corner. The only people who are impressed by the Russians are the ones that needlessly hate America so much that they'll sell their own principles and common decency to see the death and destruction of a place they know very little about.

Many of the United States actions are unacceptable and this action by the Russians is equally as bad if not worse based on the military provocation. I'm not putting on the blinders here when Putin is proven monthly to be moronic, corrupt, and oppressive towards his own people. You want to land grab and horde money while lying to your people, playing it off like it's someone else's fault? The people who buy into this must really be weak minded and pathetic.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Or we could rewind viedo, press pause and send this guy into action.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

Electronic warfare?

That doesn't affect cameras?

edit on 14/4/16 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

Reading comprehension is kind of essential on a forum like this.

Go back and re-read my post, in stead of spewing an ignorant ill informed knee jerk reaction.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokedownChevy

Slow clap .. Nailed it!

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: bandersnatch

Smaller packers this day and age

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join