It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian jets speed past US Navy destroyer in 'simulated attack profile

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Two Russian warplanes buzzed a U.S. Navy guided-missile destroyer in the Baltic Sea in what a defense official called a "simulated attack profile," one of several close encounters between the destroyer and the aircraft this week.

The USS Donald Cook (DDG-75) was conducting flight operations with a Polish helicopter Monday when two Russian Su-24 attack aircraft approached at an “unsafe” speed and altitude and buzzed the Navy destroyer as the helicopter was taking off from the destroyer’s flight deck, the defense official told Fox News.

The Russian jets came within 1,000 yards of the destroyer, flying just 100 feet off the ground, a defense official said. The next day, a Russian jet came within just 30 feet of the destroyer, the defense official said.

Russian jets speed past US Navy destroyer in 'simulated attack profile

This seemed rather brazen to me.

I have no idea what protocol is between nations such as Russia and the United States when it comes to maritime encroachment of airspace.
Perhaps Zaphod or someone can enlighten me.
Damn, that last pass, "on the deck", was at what, 50 feet?

I cant imagine the Captain of the Cook was very impressed.

edit on 4 13 2016 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
i just read about this elsewhere, what was stopping the cook firing on the Ruaf?
strange situation....

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
The reports I saw said it was a Russian helicopter that appeared to be taking pictures then a single Su-24 that they could see had no external stores on board.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: nooneyouknow

The fact that it was in international waters and not a threat.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
The reports I saw said it was a Russian helicopter that appeared to be taking pictures then a single Su-24 that they could see had no external stores on board.

At least 2 jets, (Su-24's?), in the video.

I saw no helicopter, but I trust your sources more than MSM.

Is this considered 'acceptable' by the Navy?

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

No, not at all. There were rules in place for decades about flying around ships of either nation that kept accidents from happening.

This makes twice they've done this to the Cook.
edit on 4/13/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   
and the US never encroaches foreign vessels.... 'to show strength' ... mind you sometimes in foreign territorial waters/land.

or am i making this up.
edit on 13-4-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

a reply to: nooneyouknow

The fact that it was in international waters and not a threat.

cheers

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Not like that. I could have knocked him down with a baseball.
edit on 13-4-2016 by JIMC5499 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
In this tec age you Dont attack a ship 50 above it!
you shoot from 5 miles away.

+9 more 
posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Show me one time, in anyone's media, that there have been reports that the US has done anything like Russia has been doing recently. Yes, they do approach other nation's borders, that hasn't been disputed. But they don't fly within 30 feet of ships or aircraft, or zip around them like they have been in recent years.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
How does it feel to have the shoe on the OTHER foot for a change.....
The USA has engaged in Bear baiting for many years now.....
Remember F G Powers misadventure......
Its all fine and dandy to overfly Russia whilst thumbing your noses so whats the big deal......
This will keep happening as each side plays chicken with the other till war breaks out over stupid prick waving by ours, or their airplane jockeys......
Same goes for the Straits of Ormuz...
Iran is busy playing the same game with the USA there too....idiots .......
The days of this kind of activity are over...the atom bomb has seen to that....
why play chicken with a nuclear exchange.....

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

i served 2 and a half years on board DDG95 (JWS)
And another 2.5 on the IWO Jima (LHD7).
and got out this time last year, and the answer to your question is not what you are convincing yourself.
ill refrain from what they let out on google as news. but that craft to make such approach, no matter how low they fly,would have been picked up by a multitude of detection system of the accompanying carrier, or amphib ship near the training zone. (possibly 5th fleet); im going to reassure you that the 'international' waters described may not have been 'international' or there are a lot ommited to make this reporrt read as it does.

and if you want examples where US military over stepped boudaries (blatantly) use your news source, the mighty google, and then come debate.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Should of fired on them or at least locked radar on them..Im kidding..sort of, after all the Russians seen to like shooting down passenger jets..I believe the U.S. has done simular(passenger jet) This kind of sh@t will be the cause of bad stuff happening sooner or later. Seriously though what can be done about this kind of crap?

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Natutally it is Putins fault!
/carry on

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   

What carrier group? The Cook was on its own. And where did anyone say that it was undetected? They knew it was coming. That doesn't change the fact that it was aggressive, and that the aircraft performed simulated attacks, which is a treaty violation.

Really? You have reports of US pilots flying 30 feet off Bear bombers? And zipping right in front of them? And screaming along low like this in front of Russian destroyers? Yes, the US has done things, but they don't make a habit of doing them like Russia has lately.

There's a huge difference between sailing close to borders, or flying near borders, and making mock attacks on ships, or zipping in front of surveillance aircraft forcing them to take evasive action to avoid you. No one is trying to say the US is innocent or doesn't do anything wrong, but there's a huge difference between what you see the US do, and what has been going on lately.
edit on 4/13/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Nice work Ruskies!! What's the US doing there in any case.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Johnrat

Training with our allies in international waters.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I can´t find the picture in the video that it is promoted with??
I mean, on the preview picture you can see it very close, but in the videos, the quality is really bad and they never came as close as in the preview.

posted on Apr, 13 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Really? You have reports of US pilots flying 30 feet off Bear bombers? And zipping right in front of them? And screaming along low like this in front of Russian destroyers? Yes, the US has done things, but they don't make a habit of doing them like Russia has lately.

In all fairness, it wouldn't be reported in the USA if it has happened, unless it resulted in a direct international incident, would it?

And such things have happened in the past - I mean...you don't get more brazen than a U2 overflying Russia, or a direct Mach 3.2 leg towards the Kola Peninsula or Vladivostok with a last minute turn on a ferret run to see which ships turn their radars on... or a dash down a border.

Not that I'm defending the Russians mind... they're just as bad. Its cat an mouse. But no one is innocent.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join