It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is 'Star Wars' now a vehicle for constant feminist propaganda?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

...and I just plugged in,'teenage bondage lesbian Prince Charles alien' and got 497,000 results,perhaps the word 'feminist' guarantees a number of hits

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   

"The Force Awakens" feminist = About 577,000 results

"The Force Awakens" feminism = About 487,000 results

I Googled too.

Disney anti-women = 3,260,000 results

Hollywood anti-women = an astonishingly 4,910,000 results

If I ever have a daughter the only Disney princesses I want her to look up to are Rey and Leia.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Hmm.. the alpha male/man's man, Han Solo, was killed off as well.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I'm on a mobile but someone should plug the terms into Google Trends so we can see the graphs of the Star Wars feminism agenda creeping in. For us visual types. EDIT: Maybe even compare it to dollars earned in the same charts to see if this cause exists.
edit on 9-4-2016 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: IridiumFlareMadness

From a story telling perspective, that makes sense, If Han was alive, we don't need new heroes, he and Chewie will just fly off and fix the problem.

This story seemed to be about introducing new heroes (people who are under 70 and are less likely to get hurt on the set.)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   
IDGAF. Women are badass. I like a strong female lead.

Red pill douchebaggery is as bad as SJW douchebaggery.

Movie looks great, my nipples tore up my t-shirt.

There's a huge difference between SJW/new age feminism and regular old feminism. I would class myself as a feminists because I believe women have the same worth as us dudes, because I believe women should be treated equal, and because I value women for more than their tits.

Get secure in your manhood. It's OK to have a few Star Wars movies with heroines in the leading roll. I remember when people were flipping out over a black storm trooper.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:31 AM
link   

If it was a historical movie or a movie regarding politics I might be persuaded to agree, but it's sci-if, and that's really as far as any criticism can go. It's fiction. They're not real people. There are not only different genders, but there are also alien species, and droids who have clearly passed the Turing test. It's not propaganda; it's fantasy.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:45 AM
link   

What would you say if it was a feminist talking about a male lead being just more patriarch propaganda to show how men are better?

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   
This rubbish again. Female lead=Feminist propaganda. If you actually knew anything about Star Wars and followed the plot of the movies. You would know that your "theory" is full of holes. I think you have way too much time on your hands, and that you are reading way too much into movie teaser trailers. This is just a case of wanting to believe in something really bad, because it fits your ideology.

Forgery of Imperial documents
Possession of stolen property
Aggravated assault
Resisting arrest

Are all crimes against the Empire. They would not matter to the Rebellion. They would actually be checks in the pro column in a mission to steal the death star plans. She knows how to forage Imperial documents. She is a thief. She can handle herself. She won't go down without a fight. All useful when trying to steal something. This is like a heist film set during a war. Are you saying in the history of warfare. An army has never hired people with certain skills to do specialized top secret missions.

Now I have not seen the movie. But from what I can tell. From reading about the movie and reading its various tie-ins. Most of the people who go on this mission. Are underground types, criminals, bounty hunters, thieves, etc, etc. Its a team you can disavow and send on a suicide mission. Sort of like the upcoming movie Suicide Squad. Its like Oceans Eleven meets Saving Private Ryan meets Star Wars.

The Rebellion does not know how important the mission really is. They are only hearing whispers about a possible weapon. The Rebellion is a rag tag army in the early days of its formation. Its just starting to flex its muscles. The mission to steal the death star plans is an intelligence operation. Sort of like the US army in the early days of world war 2. Did they send only decorated soldiers to do this type of behind enemy line missions. Did the army do this kind of stuff or did the OSS do this kind of stuff? I wonder if the OSS ever hired criminals, spies, saboteurs, scoundrels, and women?

Speaking of scoundrels. I wonder if Han Solo was qualified to be a general? Oh and while we are on Han Solo. The character did not die to kill off the strong male lead. The character died because Harrison Ford no longer wanted to play the character. He hated playing Han Solo. The only way he would come back is if the character would be killed off.

The heroine is "reckless, aggressive, and undisciplined. I wonder if any of that was said about John Rambo when he was discharged from the army. Or any number of real life bad ass soldiers who later went on to become mercenaries. Whats the modern definition of the word Rambo- One who is reckless, disregards orders, uses violence to solve all problems, and bravely charges headlong into the teeth of the enemy.

Would Rambo be qualified to go on this mission? I mean Rambo went all PTSD and killed a bunch of cops. Sure those particular cops had it coming. But It still went on his record. Most of the things said about our heroine were said about him, and as already pointed out, he has a record like our heroine does. So with all of that. Would Rambo be qualified for the mission to steal the death star plans? Would his penis be his qualification? You might say Rambo has had military training. How do you know the girl in the trailer has not had similar training?

I wonder if in the history of cinema any movies have male leads unrealistically taking down large groups of evil doers. Where do you draw the line. Is it only bad and over the top when the person taking down hordes of bad people is a woman. Its all fantasy.

But yeah, having ovaries and starring in a movie automatically equals feminist propaganda. Viewing a teaser trailer and declaring so. Is not a reach at all. Its a totally valid and non fear based/reactionary opinion.

edit on 9-4-2016 by karmicecstasy because: Because a woman made me for propaganda purposes

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 02:44 AM
link   
O shut up.

Really.

So what if the lead character doesnt have a penis?

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:10 AM
link   

No, it's not.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:39 AM
link   
The fear of strong women. So worrying. So wrong, in this day and age.

Clearly having a female lead in Star Wars may limit the film's appeal in North Africa and the Middle East where such displays would be "culturally" compromising, but for people to complain in the West is rather sad.

Yes, the OP needs to get a life.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 05:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

What would you say if it was a feminist talking about a male lead being just more patriarch propaganda to show how men are better?

I would say that that's nonsense. Made-up stories don't prove anything. I like a lot of movies that I believe to be propaganda. Here's an example from Disney that's in the same vein as the new Star Wars films:

www.youtube.com...

I really enjoyed that film although I feel like it is feminist propaganda, that didn't bother me at all. I expect that from Disney and it usually doesn't bother me in the slightest.

The thing that really bothers me about all this is the fact that "Star Wars" is being turned into a money-making machine where art is being pushed to the wayside. George Lucas admitted it IMHO:

In an interview with Charlie Rose, George Lucas spoke about everything from his and Disney’s branching vision to the deal itself. Lucas, who has always been protective of his series and even refers to them as his “kids,” hasn’t been looking back well on the deal with Disney (via Collider).

“I sold them to the white slavers that takes these things, and…,” Lucas said before laughing and deciding it better not to finish. (See the interview below. Lucas mentions the “white slavers” around the 50-minute mark)
George Lucas Says He Sold ‘Star Wars’ to ‘White Slavers’

I suppose I'm just getting over my disappointment concerning all this.

originally posted by: karmicecstasy
Forgery of Imperial documents
Possession of stolen property
Aggravated assault
Resisting arrest

Are all crimes against the Empire. They would not matter to the Rebellion. They would actually be checks in the pro column in a mission to steal the death star plans. She knows how to forage Imperial documents. She is a thief. She can handle herself. She won't go down without a fight. All useful when trying to steal something. This is like a heist film set during a war. Are you saying in the history of warfare. An army has never hired people with certain skills to do specialized top secret missions.

The heroine is "reckless, aggressive, and undisciplined. I wonder if any of that was said about John Rambo when he was discharged from the army. Or any number of real life bad ass soldiers who later went on to become mercenaries. Whats the modern definition of the word Rambo- One who is reckless, disregards orders, uses violence to solve all problems, and bravely charges headlong into the teeth of the enemy.

None of the things above makes the heroine we're discussing qualified for the mission. Depending on the context, "aggressiveness" could be a plus. But, without proper training it's probably a negative attribute for a mission like the one we're discussing.

As to the rest of what you wrote, I don't see any relevance to this particular case.
edit on 9-4-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Short answer - No, it's not feminist propaganda.

It's called 'equality'.

Now sure you're entitled to think equality is a bag of horse manure and women should be barefoot pregnant and in the kitchen. But you're not entitled to think that people won't judge you for being a misogynist if that's what you think.

I'm a straight white guy and I love to see movies with kickass female leads. I grew up in the 80s and 90s and it was very obvious that women in my favourite movies were usually princesses or victims or otherwise needing to be rescued by the manly men. And that sucked, because, not equal. I think it's absolutely fantastic that we now have good strong female characters leading action movies. Because: Equality.

And for heavens sake, the criticism of Rey in The Force Awakens annoys me. Did all these whinging man babies moaning about Rey's powers ever complain about how a backwards farmboy from Tattoine suddenly became the bestest X-Wing fighter pilot in the galaxy by the end of the movie? No.

They did a much better job of explaining why Rey was so competent in the movie than they ever did with Luke. (She was abandoned as a child on a rough planet, she had to learn to fend for herself and fight and survive, she scavanged imperial ships so she learnt how all of their systems worked, there was a scene cut from the movie where she had found a flight simulator which was her one toy growing up alone. It was much better handled than Luke's magical powers.

So, yeah. Rant aside. No, absolutely not feminist propaganda.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   

No. I mocked you because we know full well you wouldn't have created a thread if Rey was a dude to complain about how the movie is portraying men as superior.

And that's pretty much all that needs to be said.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   
This is ridiculous.

It's not because she's a woman, it's because she's a Heroic Character in a FANTASY BASED SCI-FI SPACE OPERA

This is not complicated for those of us who have played RPG's for example or table top games like D&D.

It has nothing to do with feminism and everything to do with they just chose to have a women as the main protagonist in a - again - FICTIONAL UNIVERSE.

I dislike new wave feminism as much as the next same person, however it's not carte blanche to make really really really dump correlations with no data at all.

~Tenth
edit on 4/9/2016 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/9/2016 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Whenever I see stuff like this I start to wonder if the person in question is backed up.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
What do you have to say about characters like Bastila Shan, Padme Amidala, Ashoka Tano, Luminara Unduli, and Aayla Secura?

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I see female leads or co-leads. But no signs of feminism. Let alone "feminist propaganda". Whatever that means.

The decision to create female leads was an economic one. STAR WARS has wide appeal. But it's weakest demo is young women and girls. So they undoubtedly hoped by creating female leads or co-leads they might expand that demo.

Nothing more frightening or insidious than a quest for the green.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   

I think the movie looks horrible and the Force Awaken is over rated

so having another white female lead

oh well

wish the whole movie was Donnie Yen

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join