It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is 'Star Wars' now a vehicle for constant feminist propaganda?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Is 'Star Wars' now a vehicle for constant feminist propaganda?

No. It's a movie in which two of the major characters happen to be women. The other major characters, of which there are more, are men, males anyway...

Good grief, can't we just have a movie without bringing in "hidden" messages about what the heck ever?

I'll admit it wasn't as good a movie as I was hoping for...but then again, I'm an original Star wars geek...there's no way it could have lived up to my expectations.

Just pay for the ticket, popcorn, candy, and medium drink, sit back and enjoy the show. It's escapism.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Ain't it maddening?

Can't even just enjoy a piece of media anymore, it's all gotta be deconstructed and ruined by the moralists.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

...and if a "feminist message" was the intent, it failed badly, given the tone of many of the Daisy Ridley fan sites...

I must be getting old, 'cause she's just way too young...

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
...and if a "feminist message" was the intent, it failed badly, given the tone of many of the Daisy Ridley fan sites...

I guess everyone forgot that Leia was bossing Luke, Han and Chewie around in the first film.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I must be getting old, 'cause she's just way too young...

Yup.

If it was feminist propaganda they would not have cast a smokeing hot 20 something with a great figure.

It would have been a fat middle age skank with short hair.

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That's 'cause she was a Princess.

That didn't last long though. In "Empire", and "Revenge" they were a team. IMHO, of course.

(post by themsheep removed for a manners violation)

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 02:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

You really don't see how being a thief and being able to forge Imperial documents is a qualification for going to steal the Death Star plans, which are Imperial documents. Her record is the exact thing you would look for when assembling a team to go steal something.

You keep on saying she has no proper training. But how do you know that. All we have to go by is the current extended universe, which I can tell you have not read, and the minute and a half teaser trailer. For all you or any of us knows. She has all the training in the world. Or will be given training after she is recruited.

All you are saying is she is a girl. So she must not have training. Which is ridiculous. She could be ex military or a mercenary or a bounty hunter. You do not know. You are just assuming. Because she is a girl. It seems you are the one with an agenda.

But it does not matter. No one will probably read this and you will not change your mind. Cicero could rise from the grave and use his +10 rhetoric toga to refute your every point, and you will just point at him and cry......FEMINIST!!!!!!

edit on 10-4-2016 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I know this is rant and we can rant about anything we like but this is just petty. It's refreshing seeing the women take these kind of leading roles.

Profusion, you obviously feel threatened by strong women. Did a woman get that promotion over you or something?

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   

It is indeed a trend, and there could be worse ones. Think about the original Trilogy for a second: You have Leia, a strong female role herself, pick up a gun within the first movie. She hits more targets than any of the stormtroopers shown, she (in the implied background) also is part of a rebellion group, and in the latest film acts as a primary figure.

Rey was also introduced - another strong lead that not only was a bit of eye-candy for the guys watching, but was also placed there so that possibly, girls might be interested in seeing the new film as well.

Producers of movies can see where the current trends in society are - For example, I can think of at least 10 movies that came out around 2012 that were "world ending". That wasn't conspiracy - they knew the significance of the Dec 21, 2012 date, even though nothing came of it.

You have somewhat popular movies that are coming out with "strong" female roles (strong in quotes only because these are films I don't watch, and books that I don't read). Hunger Games, Divergent, The new generation of Star Wars movies. Quite frankly, I'm alright with this - Now, I would obviously have a problem if the main character says things like "all guys are stupid". But they don't.

-fossilera

PS: On the side - The movie is supposed to give you the idea it's "her against the Empire". Not only does it make the movie sound more interesting by adding a tinge of hope and despair, but remember, with Star Wars, there are a lot of moving parts on the back, out of sight. And, you don't send an army to retrieve plans if you want to do it covertly; you send one or two people at most. I wonder, would you be saying the same about Frodo and Sam being the only ones to be sent into Mordor, when they don't appear to have what it takes to complete their task? They did just fine, and judging by Rogue's placement in the Star Wars timeline, I'm guessing the lead does fine as well, as the Rebels end up with the plans, eh?

Playing Devil's advocate here, so nothing of mine is personal - just discussion.

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Wow...I just...wow

[QUOTE]I would say that that's nonsense. Made-up stories don't prove anything. I like a lot of movies that I believe to be propaganda. Here's an example from Disney that's in the same vein as the new Star Wars films: [/QUOTE]

You are using a MADE UP STORY to attempt to prove your point

[QUOTE]None of the things above makes the heroine we're discussing qualified for the mission. Depending on the context, "aggressiveness" could be a plus. But, without proper training it's probably a negative attribute for a mission like the one we're discussing. [/QUOTE]

Luke was all of this and worse. Also super impulsive. He had some mechanical ability and could pilot a bit but then Rey has mechanical ability and an pilot. And yet Luke was part of the salvation of the Force. Are you going to also hammer away that Eps IV, V, and VI could be male propaganda? There are two women. Leia and the other Officer planning the attack after Hoth. Aunt Beru with her whopping 30 seconds of lines. Sounds like every argument you make about Rey could be said of Luke.

No training at all, high midichlorian count. He picks up a lightsaber and within a couple hours is on the Falcon, blindfolded and dodging and deflecting laser blasts. Nex thing you know, days later he destroys the friggin Death Star USING THE FORCE and not his tracker.

All of this is ok of course because Luke is male....yet Rey has these same attributes but because she is female it's feminist propaganda.

And then you go off and the weird tangent about Lucas selling out...which is well true. If you'd have simply stated that Lucas sold out and you don't feel like Star Wars is art anymore...fine...I may not agree but I can see that

But you had to add the feminist part

BTW....I don't like blindsiding people...so I a suing you for whiplash...the post has made me shake my head way too much

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join