It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it so important that the Bible be true?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Why do you get so defensive that someone questions the Bible???

Personally I think it's false because it's a horrible book with awful lessons mixed in with good ones. I don't believe it's accurate or very helpful now other than perhaps some parts of the new test. It's also a horrible way to view our lives and/or afterlife as well. With unfair judgements and bias. That's just a few reasons right there.

That's a well formed opinion, and I have my own. I just don't see how its anything but arrogant to say, "your bible is false, why do you want it to be true?"

Does the OP KNOW the Bible is false? No, that is just an opinion. So why close the door on objectivity?

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOmthere is still hope for you. Forget the religion its not about that. It has to to with a relationship. He wil present himself to you Bro. Just ask, be sincere, open hearted. He will come to you. Thats your creator Bro, he made you for a reason. You were made to love and be loved

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Well, to be fair, the OP's question wasn't whether it was true of false, but why believers say it's true and believe it must be true at all costs.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

No, the OP's question was 'why do believers WANT the Bible to be true'. That implies the ASSumption that the Bible is false.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest
a reply to: mOjOm

No, the OP's question was 'why do believers WANT the Bible to be true'. That implies the ASSumption that the Bible is false.

So your ASSumption is that the bible is true?

Is that all true or true apart from the bits that are wrong?
edit on 642016 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Yes, I believe the Bible is true, but I'm not asking non-believers why they WANT it to be false. People can have their ASSumptions, I just don't see the point in belittling one person's OPINION based on an opposing OPINION. That is subjective reasoning.

edit on 6-4-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Yes, I believe the Bible is true, but I'm not asking non-believers why they WANT it to be false. People can have their ASSumptions, I just don't see the point in belittling one person's OPINION based on an opposing OPINION. That is subjective reasoning.

You came in here an did just what you said there's no point in doing.

As for opinion? Science has shown that some pretty major factors in the bible are false.

The global flood,
The ark,
The way people portrayed Jesus (white male lol),
Water into wine,
Healing with hands,

Do I really need to list more than that?

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 11:12 PM
link   

There are objective ways to discuss opinions and assumptions. This thread does not qualify.

Why don't you list instead all the times science books have had to be rewritten as human ASSumptions have been proven wrong...especially since science is man's limited observation of how the universe works.

edit on 6-4-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: typos

edit on 6-4-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: typos

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Why don't you list instead all the times science books have had to be rewritten as human ASSumptions have been proven wrong...especially since science is man's limited observation of how the universe works.

Ah, so you completely misunderstand what science is. That's hardly shocking.

Science is about evidence. A piece of evidence that puts the original theory into doubt doesn't get thrown aside, the theory adapts to the new piece of evidence.

Here's an example.

People thought bats were birds because they have wings. Over the years it was discovered that bats aren't birds. Now science doesn't class bats as birds (they're mammals).

People who follow the bible believe it even when information inside it is proven wrong.

Science adapts to new information (evidence). Religion doesn't.

ETA: This is all far from the topic. My point was, was you were berating someone who had a different opinion than you did, but you were doing it based on your own opinion. How about sticking to the topic and not worrying what other people think?
edit on 642016 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Just what I was thinking. At least science admits when they were wrong and updates with proper information whereas religion continually defends their precious books in spite of evidence to the contrary.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

Science is about evidence. A piece of evidence that puts the original theory into doubt doesn't get thrown aside, the theory adapts to the new piece of evidence.

Here's an example.

People thought bats were birds because they have wings. Over the years it was discovered that bats aren't birds. Now science doesn't class bats as birds (they're mammals).

People who follow the bible believe it even when information inside it is proven wrong.

ETA: This is all far from the topic. My point was, was you were berating someone who had a different opinion than you did, but you were doing it based on your own opinion. How about sticking to the topic and not worrying what other people think?

No, science is about our perception of what the said evidence indicates. Those perceptions change from time to time.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Joecanada11

That's one of the biggest problem I have with religion, they can't admit it is wrong.

I was brought up Christian. Sunday school, Christian Primary school (UK here btw lol), prayers, the whole 9 yards.

I stopped believing after my stepdad got leukemia and I prayed for 10 years and he still got worse and eventually died. That's when I started to doubt my faith and went through the bibles I had and found all the errors I hadn't noticed because I believed the book and the stories from church and school.

I'm now an atheist. I hope there's something when I die, be it afterlife, reincarnation, grand merging of souls etc, but I don't know and I can't prove god does or doesn't exist as there's no evidence either way.

I just dislike the fact that people follow the bible letter for letter, word for word. It makes no sense when there is no evidence for it and so much evidence against it.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Here's an example.

No, science is about our perception of what the said evidence indicates. Those perceptions change from time to time.

It's nothing about perception. Perception is subjective.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Here's an example.

Exactly. So is "science".

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Here's an example.

Exactly. So is "science".

No it's not.
Science is all about EVIDENCE.

A Scientific theory isn't a scientific theory without evidence.

A scientific hypothesis is what you might be thinking about. A scientific hypothesis is an idea without substantial evidence to back it up.

The bible (and other religious books as I don't just want to single out one) is purely subjective. There is literally no evidence to support most of it.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Actually there is abundant evidence to support it...

Just not the fairy tale parts

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Because if its true I get to live forever in the clouds riding a flying unicorn and all the gays, blacks, Mexicans, Muslims, and Atheists are gonna burn in hell for eternity. Oh and the gays, did I mention the gays?

Is that what you all were looking for?

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Yes, science is about evidence, but we still misinterpret that evidence due to human perception.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

Actually there is abundant evidence to support it...

Just not the fairy tale parts

Most of it is fairy tales.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Yes, science is about evidence, but we still misinterpret that evidence due to human perception.

I would love a few examples.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join