It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it so important that the Bible be true?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
So I'm making this thread because I'm curious why you as a Christian think the Bible needs to be true. Not IF the Bible is true, but why you want it to be true. To me, I see no evidence of this book having any truth to it so I discard the claims within, but many Christians refuse to do so holding to the idea that the Bible is true, even at the expense of quality evidence stating that isn't the case. Are you unable to consider reality outside of the Bible's stories? Do you fear nothingness after death?

Like I said, this isn't a topic about if the bible is true. So I'm not looking for things about Satan or God or evidence of the Bible's authenticity. I just want to know what is so special about a manuscript that it requires people to use it as an ultimate authority over all other authorities.

And hey, just for #s and giggles, let's extend an olive branch to the Muslims and Jews out there. Why is it important for your holy books to be true? Have any of you considered what life would be like if those books WEREN'T true? Is there something wrong with starting from the idea of no knowns and then collecting evidence to see how things work? Doesn't that seem logical and reasonable? Have you considered that the only reason you believe these books to be true is because your parents and elders told you they were? Well what if they were wrong? How do you know they knew what they were talking about? Age doesn't necessarily mean intelligent or even wise.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Confirmation of one's faith, is my guess. The inherent need to know that one's precious, finite time in THIS existence was not wasted on a useless endeavor.

I already know my religion is Billshut, which is why I'm so devout and why Our Lady Chaos constantly blesses my life with sweet beautiful entropy.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t, but many Christians refuse to do so holding to the idea that the Bible is true, even at the expense of quality evidence stating that isn't the case.

What particular example can you give (quoting the Bible) of an issue that is not true, also please quote the quality evidence that shows the truth to that which the Bible says.

That way we can see what is you are specifically saying isn't true in the Bible but true in the real world.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Do you fear nothingness after death?

How does someone begin to fear nothing?

Why is it important for your holy books to be true?

It's not. For all we know it could all be metaphorical.
Maybe they missed the beginning of the Holy Books and the bit that says "a long time ago in a universe far, far away"...

It's important to live righteously and do good to others.

Have any of you considered what life would be like if those books WEREN'T true?

Yes.

Is there something wrong with starting from the idea of no knowns and then collecting evidence to see how things work?

No, that's why I did exactly that.

Doesn't that seem logical and reasonable?

Yep.

Have you considered that the only reason you believe these books to be true is because your parents and elders told you they were?

No, because that's the opposite of what happened to me.

Well what if they were wrong?

See above.

How do you know they knew what they were talking about?

Same again.

Age doesn't necessarily mean intelligent or even wise.

Absolutely correct.

Often the older are even more closed minded than you care to allude to.
Stubborn as old mules and what have you.

Now, may I ask one question of you, Krazy.

If it's not being shoved down your throat, why, as an Atheist with no interest in God, do you create such a thread.
I know you won't miss how antagonising this could be, because you're smarter than that.

I also don't see you as the trolling type, although with your wit I'm sure you could be a level 9000 in short time.

So again, why wonder?

Philosophical musings?
Change of heart, mind and soul?

It can't just be mere curiosity because you will likely not get very good answers to begin with.
The religious crowd on ATS are a fickle bunch.

edit on 6-4-2016 by Hazardous1408 because: Spelling.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
It's just psychology.
When people grow up being told something is true and they're supposed to believe it, convincing themselves that it is in fact true and following it is easier than questioning it and risking being "different". People get a sense of validation, or "I'm doing the right thing with my life because my friends and family share my beliefs".
Another reason is that many people like the idea of an all-powerful watchful protector looking over them. Many of these people are afraid of the idea that hey, they're solely responsible for themselves, nothing is protecting them, and they could die at any moment because that's just how life works. Taking the bible out of the equation would introduce a sense of helplessness or powerlessness.
There is also a fear of death which comes in to play. I know many people are religious simply because they're afraid of death (or more specifically, the stories of hell that they've grown up being told). Through their belief, they find some reassurance that when they die, they won't go to hell, and everything will actually be ok. What's funny about this is that I've known plenty of Christians who, despite their faith, were still quite afraid of dying.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Do you fear nothingness after death?

It's not the fear of nothingness, it's the fear of NOT knowing at all.

It may not make sense to others but for them being able to go to a lovely place we all call heaven gives them comfort that death isn't the end of their story and that everything will be okay.

It also serves to provide with a sense of worth and value in life that they are part of a giant plan in order to maintain harmonious balance in the great order of things.

When you take those securities away and show life for what it really is it can become unbearable to people.

Think of religion as a blanket keeping them warm on a cold dark night, shielding them from the random creaks and noises they hear at night and the fear of not knowing what is making those noises.

Remove the blanket and the world becomes a scary cold place to live in without any form of protection from it all

Or at least that's my perception on why people so vehemently choose to defy logic and reason and believe in a book written by man in time a where magic & fantasy was real to those who lived during that time
edit on 6/4/16 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Confirmation satisfaction is just a fleeting emotion. Reality will happen regardless of what you believe in. So in the end, one would just be lying to themselves to make themselves feel better. Though, if you are insecure and that is what you need to get through the day, I won't hold it against you.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

So you would say that they are using a lie as a crutch to hide from the reality of the universe?

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
Now, may I ask one question of you, Krazy.

If it's not being shoved down your throat, why, as an Atheist with no interest in God, do you create such a thread.
I know you won't miss how antagonising this could be, because you're smarter than that.

I'm trying to get an insight into the thinking of people who don't think the same as me.

I also don't see you as the trolling type, although with your wit I'm sure you could be a level 9000 in short time.

So again, why wonder?

Philosophical musings?
Change of heart, mind and soul?

It can't just be mere curiosity because you will likely not get very good answers to begin with.
The religious crowd on ATS are a fickle bunch.

Heh. We've tangoed before and I can hold my own. I'm trying to be respectful though, or at least I hope I am. The idea for this thread came to me yesterday while I was driving home from work. There are so many conversations already on IF the Bible is true, but very few people attempt to understand the necessity of why it NEEDS to be true. Clearly this is a thing since people so fervently believe it to be the truth even if evidence says this isn't the case. I thought maybe if I explored this avenue of approach a bit, maybe I could understand this thinking a bit better instead of derisively labeling it confirmation bias like I do usually.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Confirmation satisfaction is just a fleeting emotion. Reality will happen regardless of what you believe in. So in the end, one would just be lying to themselves to make themselves feel better. Though, if you are insecure and that is what you need to get through the day, I won't hold it against you.

Whose "reality" ? What if You both are 'right'? That when We die We go to Heaven and then when We get bored We grab another 'body/vessel' and play another game? And You ONLY find Hunab Ku/God at the very END and by that 'time' You've done all the things You wanted to do. You know the axe murderer that killed 4 people?? He comes back as the little kid that dies of cancer that everyone loved..

"You are NOT Your body"- Jesus The Chris†
'The Tao that can be told is NOT the Eternal Tao..." Lao Tzu
"Religion™ is for folks afraid of Hell, 'Spirituality' is for folks who've already been.." The Great Sioux Nation.

Stay hydrated My Friend.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I don't think any of them believe it's a lie, they completely believe it's the truth and fact.

I think it's more a case of not looking deeply into their belief to avoid any feelings of being uncomfortable with it, they just accept it without question because to them, it's more comfortable for them to do so that way.

A crutch to avoid the unpleasant reality of life maybe, but definitely not a lie, not in their minds anyway

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Why is it so important it be false?

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

originally posted by: Krazysh0t, but many Christians refuse to do so holding to the idea that the Bible is true, even at the expense of quality evidence stating that isn't the case.

What particular example can you give (quoting the Bible) of an issue that is not true, also please quote the quality evidence that shows the truth to that which the Bible says.

That way we can see what is you are specifically saying isn't true in the Bible but true in the real world.

There was no global flood. Humans can't walk on water. You can't fit two of every animal in the world in a boat. You can't repopulate a species of animal (human or otherwise) with just two of that species. You can't turn water into wine. Bushes on fire don't speak.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

It's possible, but by that token the bible would also be wrong because reincarnation like that isn't mentioned in the bible.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

So then it just becomes a self-deceptive lie to cover the fact that they are really just using this belief as a crutch.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Why is it so important it be false?

it isn't. In fact, if it were true, and you could prove this I'd be a believer again. I have no vested interest in disbelief of the bible. I just haven't found any evidence of it being true, as well as finding a bunch of evidence that would conflict with the narratives in the bible. Even the bare bones narratives like Jesus came and died for our sins.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Your thread says otherwise.

If you really and truly didn't care, then it would actually be a non-issue and not something you make posts on constantly, every change you get.

I don't care one way or the other about aliens, and you can tell because I don't take every opportunity to insert the subject into my posts like you do religious belief.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

If you really and truly didn't care, then it would actually be a non-issue and not something you make posts on constantly, every chance you get.

I don't care one way or the other about aliens, and you can tell because I don't take every opportunity to insert the subject into my posts like you do religious belief.

As to the Bible, there is a lot of truth there, if not all of it literal.
edit on 6-4-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Not a lie because they've convinced themselves it's the truth, so it's more delusion than lie

It's actually not dissimilar to Stockholm Syndrome where a captive starts having empathy towards their captor
edit on 6/4/16 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

No my thread is politely asking a bunch of questions.

If you really and truly didn't care, then it would actually be a non-issue and not something you make posts on constantly, every change you get.

Well EXCUUUUUSE me for attempting to leave my comfort zone and try to learn why other people believe the things they do.

Fantastic. I'm glad you can smugly talk down to me about a topic that you don't wish to discuss with me.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join