It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America is done, illegals will soon be able to vote

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

They live there, don't they? And exactly how are you supposed to determine who is and isn't legal or a resident?

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

They live there, don't they?

They do - but that doesn't seem to count for much

Last summer I got to witness first hand how some of this works. Someone in my family got a new roof put on by a company hiring only illegals. They worked 12 hour days with (what I timed as) exactly one 30 minute break for lunch

They were supposed to return to do some follow up work, but the guy who was the head of the crew phoned to tell me he couldn't be there that day to supervise because he was at the office trying to get his guys paid. They hadn't been paid in weeks

Talking about this to a friend of mine that uses illegals to do some major construction/land planning - I was informed that they should contact her and she would help get that little situation taken care of

If you work - you get paid. That's the law - even if you're here illegally

They're part of the economy, they pay into this economy. They also make life a lot cushier for a certain segment of our economy...

Main thing about it is - they're people first - illegals 2nd

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
The biggest problem with this country is that most people don't know how to comprehend a story.

Bumped for pinning the tail on the donkey.

It would be worthwhile putting an emphasis on civics in our educations system..

Thoroughly and objectively teach our children how our form of democracy and political system works...and then let them debate the issues, change what they like...whatever their political ideology evolves into... from an INFORMED place..

Honestly...confusion and ignorance around how our democracy is structured and why is a big part of the problem in the USA right now.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Once about 12 years ago I hired a roofing company and about 12 non-English speaking Hispanics showed up at 6AM.

That day it got up to 98 degrees..blistering sun.

They worked 14 hours into the night...everyone wearing sombreros and politely asking if they could drink from my hose..12 guys hauling stacks of shingles on their shoulders up and down ladders and hustling back and forth over a two story roof without any safety gear.

I have never seen human beings work that hard without pause...and during a heat wave...

I ran to the store and bought a case of ice cold beer and pulled money out of the ATM and when they wrapped up around 8PM I gave each a twenty dollar bill and the case of beer. I knew the slick white guy that had sold me on the job ...who was nowhere to be seen..was likely going to pay them crap.

The effen guys were amazing...I never had a leak...and after I paid the white owner of the roofing company...a week later one of the Mexicans showed up at my house one morning after the first rain...he explained through broken English that he was in the neighborhood and just wanted to drop by and make sure that they did a good job and their was no issues or leaks..got up on the roof and walked around to make sure...it was a matter of pride for him.

edit on 6-4-2016 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

I could go through your story detail for detail - pretty much the same experience. Except I bought snacks and bottled water

Beer is way better ...hat's off to you

I'll tell you something - the hypocrisy of these little caste system, political shell games we play in this country is getting old

I was about to launch into a rant right there - but I'll spare everybody that :-)

But thanks for that post - you're my kind of guy/gal

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok
While there is no place where illegals can "legally" vote (the CA thing is a myth by the way)....the idea of counting non-citizens for representation purposes is just absolutely ridiculous.

Representation is based on population.

There is a very high non-citizen population here in New York City. Some are illegal, most are legal but cannot vote. However, they still count in the total population.

Example.

District X - 100,000 voting citizens, 50,000 non-voting non-citizens

District Y - 150,000 voting citizens, 0 non-voting non-citizens

Both district X and Y have the same overall infrastructure and services needs based on total population. Representation is based on the needs of the population of a district, not the number of voters. Long before this was an issue, and before women could vote, women and children were still counted in the population tallies that determined representation.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Though I agree with OP, it's still doesn't mather.

They and you don't vote directly. You vote for an electoral who then votes for whoever they want, or for whoever paid them the most

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Here I sit and Ted Cruz is speaking Spanish on CNN right now.

Funny huh?

Who wants to start taking bets?

I've heard him say Hispanic more than 15 times in the last five minutes.

Why is he catering to million of people who can't vote?

Is Ted Cruz an anchor baby?
edit on 4/6/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

He can pander to them all he wants, they can't vote for him. It doesn't change just because you keep repeating it.

Oh and newsflash, people who can vote can also speak Spanish.

edit on thWed, 06 Apr 2016 13:47:49 -0500America/Chicago420164980 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Here I sit and Ted Cruz is speaking Spanish on CNN right now.

Funny huh?

Who wants to start taking bets?

I've heard him say Hispanic more than 15 times in the last five minutes.

Why is he catering to million of people who can't vote?

Is Ted Cruz an anchor baby?

uhhh....where to start...

Hispanic descent constitutes 17% of the US population...and no, speaking Spanish does not make someone an illegal immigrant?

And no...Ted Cruz is not an Anchor Baby...actually he was born in Canada...still wondering where the birther parade is now that they have a real, live foreigner running for President?

Nothing personal to you...but whatever your political leanings or ideology...the debate and discussion is best served when the people debating begin with some thought and knowledge around the topic...at least before they start ranting opinions.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I'm not ranting opinions.

Ted Cruz speaking Spanish on television in an American presidential.

When do presidents speak foreign languages while running for office...

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Dude... many languages are spoken in the US. If anything our presidents should speak different languages more often. This nation was built as a melting pot, let's not forget that. There are citizens that will prefer to speak another language and that is fine.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Doesn't the Bush family count?

Do you even know what your ranting about??

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Since forever...Teddy Roosevelt was Fluent in French, German and Italian...and altogether could read or be understood in 9 different languages. It helped pull those votes..For eff sake we don't even speak "American" we speak "English"...we have been and always will be a melting pot of immigrants...and certain people will always think that is a weakness...when in reality it is that melting pot that has always made us the greatest country on earth...an alloy is stronger than steel...alloy is a mix of metals BTW
A country without immigrants is a country that no one wants to immigrate to.

This xenophobia illness has jumped the shark...

Nature hates homogenous...when everyone or everything is the same nature wipes out entire species with the smallest disease or change in the weather...diversity is what survives and thrives in this world. The melting pot is why we as a country are still on top. Our ancestors fled wars and famines all over the globe or were kicked out of their home countries as the least desirables...and we gathered to build the greatest country in the history of mankind. Enough with the poor white guy BS. An alloy is stronger than steel.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

In Canada our PM is required to say everything twice, once in English, once in French.

With all the legal Spanish speaking people in the states, it's almost surprising It's not spoken more often by the pres

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Has it ever occurred to you that -- just perhaps -- Ted Cruz is reaching out to Hispanic eligible voters?

Are you even familiar with Cruz's stance on immigration?

No... I thought not.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: maria_stardust

Has it ever occurred to you that -- just perhaps -- Ted Cruz is reaching out to Hispanic eligible voters?

Exactly - and maybe not just any HIspanics

Los Cubanos

Cuban Americans have tended to be more Republican than other Hispanic groups. The failed Bay of Pigs invasion, and its association with John F. Kennedy, left many Cubans distrustful of the Democratic Party. Many Cuban Americans believe that Kennedy deliberately denied Cuban exiles air support, leading to a rout by Castro forces.

Ted Cruz Plays Up Cuban Heritage Before Florida Primary

MIAMI — Ted Cruz bounded onstage to a seldom-heard introduction — “the first Hispanic president of the United States” — and spoke later of his “abuelo and abuela” in Cuba. He reminded reporters that he was the “son of a dishwasher” who stepped off a ferryboat in Key West nearly 60 years ago.

I'm kinda digging just how hard it is to keep track of the ties that bind in this election

:-)

edit on 4/6/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: wiki extras

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

You're right on the money.

What I find fascinating is the immigration stance of Cubans, considering the "wet foot, dry foot" rule that applies to only Cuban refugees.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

What was upheld was the way the count has always been done. The so called "Conservative" challenge if validated by the court would have led to a radical change. The people -all of the people-have a right to representation not just the voters. So though you despair, your country goes on.

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: lunatux

What was upheld was the way the count has always been done. The so called "Conservative" challenge if validated by the court would have led to a radical change. The people -all of the people-have a right to representation not just the voters. So though you despair, your country goes on.

I'm just pissed off about illegal immigration. I don't even want to do construction to be honest with you but I've experienced its effects first hand because everyone in my family are small contractors and I did it for a few years but we never were steady with work so I quit and moved across country.

Now I live in a heavily populated immigrant area and in probably going to move again because the economy on California is crazy.

I'm still more pissed off about jobs moving out of the country but both issues are equals in my mind.
edit on 4/6/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join