It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

euthunasia should be a right for all 18+

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 04:33 AM
link   
for those of us that dont know the definition of euthanasia it is, according to Wikipedia :

Euthanasia is the practice of intentionally ending a life in order to relieve pain and suffering.

theres been alot of talk lately about euthanasia in canada since a euthunasia bill was passed for people with various diseases like cancer to be put down humanly, but i believe this bill should be for anyone over the age of 18 who wants to die, i believe if euthanasia was made a right for anyone over the age of 18 we would reduce waiting times at doctors,we would gain resources that would otherwise be going to waste on trying to help someone thats unhelpable,less crime and a more stable and safe living and work enviorment. some people dont relise the pain and suffering that some people of all classes go through on a daily basis. these people would rather be dead but are to scared to do it themselfs or dont want their head town apart or their neck broke, i believe we should give people a safe place to die without the stigma.

what does ats have to say on the subject?
edit on 2-4-2016 by theboarman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 05:12 AM
link   
a reply to: theboarman

Okay, I've been trying to word this for over half an hour now, so, I'll just get it over with nice and simply:

I personally believe that if one wishes to die, they should be allowed to die. End of story.

But I'm selfish, non-religious, have been suicidal in the past and would have done it if not for fear of failure. I'm not depressed now, but I stand by the state of my mind of years past. People often say that they've dealt with their depression and are glad they didn't act out upon such ghastly ideas. I don't say that. I still say that I would have done it back then if I could. That doesn't mean I'm still depressed now, it just means that I'm at peace with the idea.

It should be a personal choice. My body, my decision. Your body, your decision. (Hmm, that response sounds familiar.)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Intentional suicide, I think it should be up to the individual.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I believe it is up to the individual to decide if they wish to die or to carry on living.

Nobody on the outside can fully understand what motivates one person to battle on through extreme circumstances and another to give up.

We all have to decide for ourselves what 'quality' our lives have. It's not for another to make that decision for us.

That is, of course, if we are adults and capable of making our wishes known.

My heart breaks for those helpless individuals who are mercilessly kept alive by do-gooders despite their agony.

I'll be honest, if I was in severe distress and had a pack of greedy friends and relatives who just wanted to off me quickly so they could get their hands on my money, I'd say 'fairplay to them'. Far better than to have an insipid bunch stretching things out because they didn't want to look greedy.

edit on 2-4-2016 by berenike because: spelling.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 05:21 AM
link   
As somebody that has an inoperable brain tumor, and seeing the way my life has changed because of it, I want to be able to make that coice when it becomes too much, or when I become too much of a burden to those close to me.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Here's another thought - those governments who agonise over the morality of granting you the right to choose euthanasia will conscript you and send you to the front line in the event of a war.

If you don't get killed but come home horribly injured they'll throw their hands up in dismay if you ask to be put out of your misery.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   
The TV future may have got it right.

Then again, maybe not.

I can see euthanasia as an alternative to hospice but each case is unique.

For the 18+ otherwise healthy individual not so much.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Maybe in certain circumstances which would be pretty much medical issues I'd have to say NO WAY.

What would they have? little death clinics set up in strip malls? Discount death clinics? Of course wal-mart would do it cheaper lol... Sure you could have your high end death boutique shop for the wealthy, you could have the extreme experience for adrenaline junkies that want to die... like take the meds and jump out of an airplane with no parachute.

You could have tv ads catering to the broken hearted, "just end your life, that will show him/her how much you hurt."

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   
It's actually quietly a thing.

You know in cancer hospice care when end-stage cancer patients are given control over their morphine?

That's essentially euthanasia.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Wow, grim subject for so early in the morning. But I agree, it is your right to perish or fight. Although it is important to consider every angle. Anyone can choose to "ragequit". And anyone can choose to give it one more shot, because there is no respawn. Even if you have been dealt a crap hand, it's still a hand and still in the game. The only game you may ever play. Its always your choice, your right, but it's probably the most important card in your hand right now. Life. Time. Your allotted flicker. Hold em, or fold em?
edit on 2-4-2016 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

No, you have a misconception.

You cannot just keep pushing the dose button. Well, ok, actually you can, but you will not keep receiving the dose.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   

We justify it when we put down animals when they're in chronic pain or when there is no hope left to save them. Why should people not have a choice to end their life humanely? For someone to live the rest of their life with pain and suffering is like condemning them to a life of hell on earth. This is just another example how government interferes and makes decisions about our personal lives.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Selfishness is demanding/expecting someone else to do or not something based on your desires/fears. It's for your benefit rather than their own.
Example -- "I would rather you prolong your physical/mental suffering indefinitely because I want your meatsack walking around longer, and I don't care what you think or how you feel because you're selfish for thinking about suicide!" Who's being selfish there again?

Your life is your own & all choices within are yours to make, everyone agrees with that. Doing anything else at the beck and call of someone else is considered being manipulated and not being respected. Why should choosing your own terms for ending your life be any different? You may not have been given a choice to come into existence, but you damn well have the choice as to when to exit it, and that should be held as sacred as any other independent choices in life.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   
My family has seen two suicides. One of them I understood, because he was suffering horribly, and had been for many years. The other still greatly saddens me, because I hate it that a 19 year old man, who had such a promising future ahead of him, felt his only recourse was to end his existence here. Nevertheless, as much as his death affected me, I still believe it was his right as an individual, if that's the solution he chose to end his inner agony.

Euthanasia/Suicide is never going to be widely accepted, not just because of religion, but because of money. Imagine a world where taking your own life is easy and painless. Not only would suicide rates shoot through the roof, the potential for misuse is endless. But from the perspective of those who administrate this world, the financial and economic fallout for themselves mostly, would be devastating.

If and when euthanasia becomes more accepted and accessible, it will be because governments have found a way to legislate it, regulate it, and police it. Just like they have everything else that's considered legal, regardless of your rights as a human being.
edit on 4/2/2016 by Klassified because: Error codes x04022016

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

My question would be where dose it end or stop? Isort okay for only terminally ill people? What about people with severe depression? Mental illness? I don't know how we would even being to define this issue.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   

We should have a right to life, but we don't (abortion) so I think that we certainly have a right to end our individual life.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
The ability to end ones life is usually available to most except the very debilitated....
and they have the law on their side now too.....
The rest of us can take the high dive in numerous and varied ways....any time we wish....who needs laws aboot that?
redundant mentation....
Ultimately, the debate is moot....

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
Maybe in certain circumstances which would be pretty much medical issues I'd have to say NO WAY.

What would they have? little death clinics set up in strip malls? Discount death clinics? Of course wal-mart would do it cheaper lol... Sure you could have your high end death boutique shop for the wealthy, you could have the extreme experience for adrenaline junkies that want to die... like take the meds and jump out of an airplane with no parachute.

You could have tv ads catering to the broken hearted, "just end your life, that will show him/her how much you hurt."

What a crazy future you have just described!
I'm with you on the ''NO WAY'' I've been down so low that suicide crossed my mind, the thing is... I'm glad I didn't! It can be hard to get through serious depression but it is possible! Too many folks might make a foolish and quick decision, not knowing that they might be happy some day down the line.
Friends and especially family members would get depressed from loosing someone dear and then depression might kick in with them and this easy and quick solution might spread.
It's a bad idea all around, IMHO.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

I would say 21+ should be when they have the right to do the deed - 21 is standard for being an "adult" - if they can drink at 21, then they should be allowed to choose whether to live or die.

I would also say this - to prevent the slippery slope (IE: Where does it stop), there should be a strict guideline as to who is allowed to do such a thing under law. For example, if you want to become worm food because a person dumped you, that should be a no-go. But, if you have an illness that cannot be cured, too many injuries that would make life comfortable, giving your life to save another (IE: Giving someone a potential heart so that they may live), then I would say it's justified.

Like someone else said - we put our pets down when they become too sick, old, or hurt. I would argue a peaceful death is better than suffering for months or years.

Understand, I'm not saying I like the thought of that - personally, I cherish my life; even when I'm depressed I have never once thought about killing myself (I may or may not have considered just "vanishing" and basically becoming a new person though). And, even were the option available to me, and I had a terminal illness, I'd probably not take it - better to give my family/friends a few more times to see me.

-foss

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hellhound604
As somebody that has an inoperable brain tumor, and seeing the way my life has changed because of it, I want to be able to make that coice when it becomes too much, or when I become too much of a burden to those close to me.

I am so sorry to hear this. Have you fished around the many alternative threads here on ATS for methods proven to cure cancer? I would start with the baking soda and molasses method but there are many others that may be of interest for you. I pray to give you strength and peace if your time shall come to an end early. God speed!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join