It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The final solution to the Grandfather Paradox found? Is time travel now possible?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 04:37 AM
link   
This is a theory of mine.

Synopsis
According to mainstream physicists like Stephen Hawkins, it is theoretically possible to scale up miniature wormholes and use these to travel backwards into time.

Paradox
In time travel theory, the Grandfather Paradox is the paradox where a simple but logical question is asked: If you travel into the past and kill your own grandfather before your father was born, will it not destoy yourself since the premise for your own birth in that time dimension has now gone.

Suggested solution
My solution is deceptively simple and quite within logic and the current understanding of the laws of physics; parallel time dimensions.

If a time traveller creates a wormhole into the past and uses it to travel to the past, she also creates a new time dimension parallel to the existing one. Furthermore, if she travells to the past and kills her own grandfather, as the paradox would have it, she now has two options; which time dimesion should she follow:

1. Stay in the current time dimension and witness how she was never born.
2. Go back into the still open wormhole and see that nothing has changes as she has not done any changes to her own time dimension.

In the future one could build such wormholes to study what the world would look like if , for example, Hitler never was born. But be warned; remember to always keep the wormhole open - once it is shut there is no way of getting you back to your own time dimension again...

I envision a future where humanity have multiple wormholes open to different version of our past, customized to the preference of humanity. Realities where Ancient Rome existed well into the 21st century, others where there are no wars, a.s.f. We might use these as a destination for a future kind of tourism, entertainment, and/or science.

Edit:

Final thoughts
If a future civilization could make such alternative time dimensions and made thousands or even millions of them, statistics alone would say that we live in a manufactured time dimension - the odds would be 1/1,000,000 against us

-MM

edit on 25-3-2016 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaMeditation

As soon as I can time travel, i'm going back to before murder was even a sin to then kill Adam and Eve and live forever in the garden of Eden. Amen.
edit on 25-3-2016 by killerworm51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 04:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: killerworm51

As soon as I can time travel, i'm going back to before murder was even a sin to then kill Adam and Eve and live forever in the garden of Eden. Amen.

Perfect username for that statement, KillerWorm51
A killer that uses a Wormhole - just perfect name

-MM

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I have heard a theory that the PTB already have said machine and that's why the world is the way it is.

Certainly explains how 0.1% or probably more like 0.000001% of the population control the rest.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnb
I have heard a theory that the PTB already have said machine and that's why the world is the way it is.

Certainly explains how 0.1% or probably more like 0.000001% of the population control the rest.

Hah, nice theory - now to go completely paranoid : If a future civilization could make such alternative time dimensions and made thousands or even millions of them, statistics alone would say that we live in a manufactured time dimesion - the odds are a 1/1,000,000 against us

-MM

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Yes, but that paradox in particular refers to same universe, not other universes or parralel dimensions.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 05:25 AM
link   
This is a theory that is well known. Terra Nova on FOX was based on this. If you travel to a new dimension who is to say your grandfather is there. Could be no life on Earth there.

All you did is avoid the paradox not solve it.
edit on 25-3-2016 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 05:46 AM
link   
The alternative realities would not necessarily be 'manufactured' by a time traveller, just visited.
There are theories that every possibility exists in reality (in some alternative timeline).

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

And it's not really time travel. You could go to an alternate Earth "past" where they are thousands of years more advanced. Either way there is no grandfather paradox for this scenario.
edit on 25-3-2016 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Doesn't seem like this is a solution.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Why DO things...IF this is "possible"
then the key would be information.
Is it a one way, as in PAST only?
Or is it possible to go forward in time?

If so...Then information would be key,
money speculations in particular.
Lottery.

But yes, going back for information would be
nice as well. 9/11, JFK, Olof Palme, did Hitler
die in the bunker, moonlanding, Pyramids,
JESUS.

edit:
My own thoughts on timetravel is that yes, past
is possible as in its been done, its happened, its
fixed. Future is a bit trickier, i belive you would
only go to a "possible" future, nothing have
happened 1 year from now, its still open for
debate as to say....
edit on 2016/3/25 by Miccey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Miccey
But yes, going back for information would be
nice as well. 9/11, JFK, Olof Palme, did Hitler
die in the bunker, moonlanding, Pyramids,
JESUS.

If it is a different universe then none of that information is applicable to us.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   

These are the dark arts of time-line conjectures. By including time-lines, we make it acceptable to travel in time and meddle with history. A few years ago another guy was using them to say we could go back in time, but would land in a different universe to the one we left - Seth Lloyd.

I think because they're so speculative, there are few boundaries to what can happen in time-travel. They aren't a solution to the Grandfather Paradox because they don't describe circumstances in the direct lineage of the grandson's reality. They are definitely a good way to idle away a few minutes...or generate a small headache.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: butcherguy

And it's not really time travel. You could go to an alternate Earth "past" where they are thousands of years more advanced. Either way there is no grandfather paradox for this scenario.

That is what I was trying to say. It is an alternative reality.
I shouldn't have used the word timeline, I guess.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   

I have a similar theory. But I go on and push it further so to eliminate all useless dimensions.

In my theory, different histories are stacked one on top another and they share one dimension with another: Time. Each time one goes back in time, it generates an alternative past (which can be viewed as an alternative reality - same universe, but different event). Killing your grandfather in your past would not prevent you from existing in the present, because the present and the past travels along the Time axis at a finite speed, and thus forever elude each other (the paradox itself cannot ever reach the present).

Using such a theory I have made a bet that evidences of time travel will never be found in our reality, because such evidences cannot ever reach our present reality (because our reality moves at +1 second in the Time direction for each seconds that passes). All records would not change in the event of a change in your past, because all records and memories and files in the present are part of that present and they too elude the paradox in the past.

edit on 25-3-2016 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I think you are on the right track here, although I also think that these parallel dimensions are made naturally through things like human choices. This parallel universe theory is one explanation for how quantum physics works.
edit on 25amFri, 25 Mar 2016 08:02:55 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

Wikipedia: Many-Worlds Interpretation

Scientists May Have Discovered Evidence of Parallel Universes
edit on 25amFri, 25 Mar 2016 08:08:36 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
This is a theory that is well known. Terra Nova on FOX was based on this. If you travel to a new dimension who is to say your grandfather is there. Could be no life on Earth there.

All you did is avoid the paradox not solve it.

Going a bit off topic... But I think Terra Nova did not have enough time to get to the point it could have made.

I think the past they went to was exactly the same timeline's past, and the corporations of the future were attempting to insert themselves at an earlier point (without care for the risk of entirely wiping out the existence of the human race). They did their elaborate "plant this in a place that humans never excavated" test to make sure it was independent, but they failed to acknowledge that at any future point from the time they set up the test, it could have been tampered with by an agent from one of those corporations.

More on topic... I don't think leaving the wormhole open would be absolutely necessary. The timeline you left would still exist somewhere and somewhen. You may have difficulty identifying it from the others. It wouldn't be as comically simple as in Sliders (Aw! The gate doesn't squeak! I must not be home yet!)

Perhaps there would be a unique attribute of each timeline that could be identified. Vibration of the universal background? Maybe every occurence... Every expending of energy inside a closed system impacts the resonant vibration of that system. That would mean every instant and every location would have a unique background resonance, which would be derived from every single thing that had ever happened in that universe up to the current smallest indivisible moment of time.

Ugh. In the words of Captain Janeway: "It all gives me a headache."

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   

time travel will become possible. read the thread in my signature

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Think on this scenario. What if time travel is happening right now and has always been happening. Now think on this. What if the time travellers are what we percieve as ghosts, too ethereal to physically alter anythink material, but just observers.
If you really want a good mind bender watch the film "Predestination". It's about this same subject but different.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Em, we don't need these far fetched theories to solve the Grandfather paradox. Actually, there is no paradox at all, if you go back and kill your grandfather or father before you were born, the copy of you will not be born, you will not cease to exist however, because you'd be matter transported from another time and place to wherever you are then.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join