It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump, Fascism and Freedom of Speech

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Freedom of Speech is a tremendous concept. Most times and places in the US of A one has the right to express, from the street corner (where authorized) to public access cable to web blogs to letters-to-the-editor to call-in shows to renting a space and giving a press conference. All these are perfectly fine and legit.
What's not legit is interfering with another's speech. Standing silently with a sign? Fine. Counter-rally across the street? Fine. Lining the sidewalks chanting? okay. But it is totally wrong and immoral to disrupt someone else's speech, whether shouting from the audience or rushing the stage and grabbing the mic.
Such actions are not examples of 'expressing' ones self. Such actions are actually repressions of speech.
We all have heard the left in the US of A calling conservatives & Republicans the usual names--fascists, Nazis, pigs. But what could be more fascistic than busting up a political meeting of people with whom you disagree?
shame on Hillary and Bernie and the rest of the democrats for not condemning these incursions.
and shame on Chicago PD for not doing their job.
I think it was Voltaire who suggested 'I might not agree with what you say but I will defend your right to say it'. That's respect. That's freedom. In Chicago we saw the opposite of that.
We don't like what he says so we'll shut him down.
And it's the Republicans who are intolerant?

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

It all boils down to one word, "RESPECT". Something our youth and many so called adults have either been failed to be taught or just outright refuse to care!

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Even Obama has chimed in on Trump and the rally situations:

What is happening in this primary is just a distillation of what’s been happening inside their party for more than a decade. I mean, the reason that many of their voters are responding is because this is what’s been fed through the messages they’ve been sending for a long time — that you just make flat assertions that don’t comport with the facts. That you just deny the evidence of science. That compromise is a betrayal. That the other side isn’t simply wrong, or we just disagree, we want to take a different approach, but the other side is destroying the country, or treasonous. I mean, that’s — look it up. That’s what they’ve been saying.

So they can’t be surprised when somebody suddenly looks and says, you know what, I can do that even better. I can make stuff up better than that. I can be more outrageous than that. I can insult people even better than that. I can be even more uncivil. I mean, conservative outlets have been feeding their base constantly the notion that everything is a disaster, that everybody else is to blame, that Obamacare is destroying the country. And it doesn’t matter whether it’s true or not. It’s not, we disagree with this program, we think we can do it better — it’s, oh, this is a crisis!

www.washingtonpost.com... id=ss_tw

Obama can paint the Trump movement and it's supporters in as poor a light as possible, but a narcissist like him will never grasp that many he disparages are drawn to that camp because they're tired of his failed agenda, and don't want another 4-8 years of same-same with HRC.

edit on 8332016452016-03-12T13:00:45-06:0020166pm450100 by Boscowashisnamo because: none given.

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
"In the good old days this doesn't happen because they used to treat them very, very rough."

"Try not to hurt him. If you do, I'll defend you in court, don't worry about it."

"I'd like to punch him in the face."

"Maybe he should have been roughed up."

"Knock the crap out of them."

"The audience hit back. That's what we need a little bit more of." (this said about the dude that sucker punched the protester!)

"I don’t know if I’ll do the fighting myself or if other people will."

No, Trump will not do the actual fighting, and he will not be paying for his followers court fees either. He will be heading back to the penthouse suite and taking a nice warm bubble bath.

The denial on the right about this guy is mind boggling. The idea that Trump can say things like this (& promoting his blatant fascism), repeatedly get the desired directive carried out by his followers, and not have a push-back by the general public is ludicrous. Free speech will trounce hate speech.

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero Some words are quickly becoming verboten. Like denial, which is now only a river in Egypt. Drink your Kool-Aid, trust me, you'll be fine.

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   

I think it was Voltaire who suggested 'I might not agree with what you say but I will defend your right to say it'. That's respect. That's freedom. In Chicago we saw the opposite of that.

While I agree with your assessment of the actions of speech suppressing protesters, I feel it is apropos to remind people of Trumps own actions during the debates. His constant interruption of other candidates, his shouting down of opposing points of view while on the podium shared with others. Is it not a better defense of free speech to condemn the actions of our heroes as well as those we find to be villains?

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Leftist brownshirsts are getting afraid.

The MSM attacks, the internet attacks. . . . aren't working.

So now they have to resort to violence.

It's the only thing they have left.

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

The gop and the right wing media attack trump every chance they get, and all you guys have is the left is so scared.

The right is imploding as we speak and you guys blame everybody else under the sun.

Good luck with that delusion.

edit on 12-3-2016 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
It is rare that free speech is saved by a mob. Often it needs to be saved from the mob. This is one of those cases. Only one person was set to speak last night, and his human rights were violated.

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: okrian

The denial on the right about this guy is mind boggling. The idea that Trump can say things like this (& promoting his blatant fascism), repeatedly get the desired directive carried out by his followers, and not have a push-back by the general public is ludicrous. Free speech will trounce hate speech.

1) what is Trump espousing that is fascist? defending the border?

2) do you not understand that Trump is the one exercising free speech, and the 'protestors', interrupting the rally, are the haters?

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969

The gop and the right wing media attack trump every chance they get, and all you guys have is the left is so scared.

The right is imploding as we speak and you guys blame everybody else under the sun.

Can you prove it was a right wing organization that disrupted the peaceful assembly last night?

So far the evidence points to moveon.org , Black Lives Matter, and Bernie Sanders supporters!

I would love to see some evidence of some right wing organizations pissing on the 1st amendment. Of course Rubio and Cruz already shown how much they believe in the 1st by blaming Trump for last nights fiasco?

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

I never talked about the chicago protest, i talked about how the right is imploding in front of our eyes, and you guys blame everybody else, delusional at best.

Long live emperor trump eh

Can you prove it was a right wing organization that disrupted the peaceful assembly last night?

So far the evidence points to moveon.org , Black Lives Matter, and Bernie Sanders supporters!

I would love to see some evidence of some right wing organizations pissing on the 1st amendment. Of course Rubio and Cruz already shown how much they believe in the 1st by blaming Trump for last nights fiasco?

I never talked about the chicago protest, cant you stay on topic, the right is imploding in front of our eyes, and you keep on blaming anybody else.

Delusional at best .

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

I never talked about the chicago protest, i talked about how the right is imploding in front of our eyes, and you guys blame everybody else, delusional at best.

I never talked about the chicago protest, cant you stay on topic, the right is imploding in front of our eyes, and you keep on blaming anybody else.

Delusional at best .

You suggested "How do we know it wasn't the right wing attacking Trump".

I gave you the benefit of the doubt to prove your assumption, which if you read the OP, what happened last night is totally relevant to me giving you a chance to prove your claim!

Obviously you can't prove it?

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Delusional at best .

You suggested "How do we know it wasn't the right wing attacking Trump".

I gave you the benefit of the doubt to prove your assumption, which if you read the OP, what happened last night is totally relevant to me giving you a chance to prove your claim!

Obviously you can't prove it?

I never sugested anything, i said the right is imploding in front of our eyes, thats all i said, nice deflection, at least you didint ask me about obama yet.

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Freedom of speech is one of the core concepts of a free society. If a man cannot do a speech without being descended upon by a loud and disruptive mob, a free society is the last thing on their mind. The thought alone is fearful.

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

You are accusing me of deflecting yet you can't prove what you insinuated?

I'll entertain you and agree with you! YES! The Republicans are snipping bricks and as MITT ROMNEY proved by his embarrassing comeback they are ready to implode! Good riddance!

You are speaking to someone who could give a rats ass about a party! I gave you a clue by what I said about Rubio and Cruz?

I will ask you again, show me any evidence you have of the Republicans, being responsible for the destruction of freedom of speech that we saw happen last night in Chicago?

edit on 12-3-2016 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I love how delusional Trump supporters are on what happened last night, missing the obvious.

You know what happened? Protesters were going to Trump rallies and peacefully protesting, exercising their freedom of speech and not interfering with Trump's freedom of speech nor that of his followers.

Then, Trump fans started roughing up those peaceful protesters and even punched one in the face, impeding on protesters FREEDOM FROM PHYSICAL HARM as well as their freedom of speech.... AND WE ALL WENT HELL NO!!!!!!!!! I never once thought of protesting a Trump rally but after seeing all those big bad Trump supporters congratulating themselves on how brave and strong they are while they rough up a peaceful protester a thousand to one... You better believe I wanted to jump and even out the odds. Baseball bats and all..

So Trump supporters could have just let peaceful protesters be, and there would be no issues. But since they roughed em up, you better believe we now look forward to coming with our own mob and giving back what we get. The LEFT is waking up.. You don't want to be civil? We can go toe to toe too.
edit on 12-3-2016 by AudioOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Another little nicety, remember the picture everyone has been spreading around about the "Nazi Granny" Trump supporter in Chicago? Turns out she is actually a Sanders supporter.

Why am I not surprised?

edit on 12-3-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit
Another little nicety, remember the picture everyone has been spreading around about the "Nazi Granny" Trump supporter in Chicago? Turns out she is actually a Sanders supporter.

Why am I not surprised?

Yeah, she's the poster child for Trump supporter Nazis. I doubt many will see the truth of who she really is. Good go, cheating to get the message across, but hey if it stifles the Nazi Trump

edit on 12-3-2016 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Portia Boulger says that isn't her.

tever.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join