It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama to skip Nancy Reagan's funeral to speak at South by Southwest...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra
You know what's really classy? Turning funerary attendance into political talking points.

Seems strange that somehow, you apparently see nothing wrong with the fact that Obama provides more attention to the funerals of street criminals than that of a sitting Supreme Court justice and that of a former first lady.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Hmm Trump supporters cannot claim faux outrage about another's supposed classless move..LMAO

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: M5xaz

You know what's really classy? Turning funerary attendance into political talking points.

Seems strange that somehow, you apparently see nothing wrong with the fact that Obama provides more attention to the funerals of street criminals than that of a sitting Supreme Court justice and that of a former first lady.

The death of that Supreme Court Justice..made the world a better place.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: queenofswords

You can't even do her the respect of knowing her name. Guess you hate America too.

Rosalynn Carter....lol (I could blame it on auto correct, but I would be lying
)

edit on 8-3-2016 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

(post by eNumbra removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Saying funerals are stupid anyhow, may work for some of you, but what the heck does that have to do with Obama?

Obama totally ignored funerals of people like; Chris Kyle, Nicholas Oresko, Lech Kaczynski, James Foley, Antonin Scalia, Nancy Reagan.....

While he sent 3 whitehouse representatives to the funeral of thug, Michael Brown, and was able to attend the funeral of Nelson Mandela, black civil rights leader Dorothy Height, liberal Hawaiin senator Daniel Inouye, and sent Michelle to the funeral of Chicago gun violence victim Hadiya Pendleton, and of course to the funeral of Maya Angelou.

So, instead of saying it is ok for him to ignore his presidential show of respect, because funerals are meaningless and archaic anyhow, maybe we should look to Obama to see if HE believes funerals are meaningless. Apparently, they are meaningful to him, depending on who it is for.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: FullBloodedNative

Please elaborate....

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
a reply to: FullBloodedNative

Please elaborate....

On?

The thing about class, because Trump is always doing classless things, like braggin about his penis on a debate, making fun of a disabled guy, ...etc

The Justice died and made the world a better place, well read these, 5 Absurd Scalia Quotes You Just Won’t Believe and this, Antonin Scalia on Abortion or this What the Death of Justice Antonin Scalia Means for Religious Liberty.

The world is a better place.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
Here comes the PC police again!
Wait, who are the PC police in this thread? The people saying "Who cares, the President is under no obligation to attend a funeral", or the people who are apparently offended that he didn't attend?

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

what a load of crap some of you moan about..

this could have quite easily been

'' Obama skipping official duties to attend Funeral - President goes AWOL ''
edit on 8/3/1616 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: M5xaz

That's quite a stretch of an assumption there.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 11:59 PM
link   

2011 - Betty Ford's funeral was attended by Michele Obama, Hillary Clinton, Nancy Reagan and Bush 43. The President (Obama) was not in attendance.

2007 - Lady Bird Johnson's funeral was attended by Bill and Hillary Clinton, Jimmy & Rosalynn Carter, Barbara Bush, Nancy Reagan and Laura Bush. The President (Bush 43) was not in attendance.

1994 - Jackie Kennedy Onassis's funeral was attended by Bill (the President) and Hillary Clinton and Lady Bird Johnson.

1993 - Pat Nixon's funeral was attended by Ronald Reagan (but not Nancy) and Gerald Ford. Neither Bill (the President) nor Hillary Clinton attended nor did Bush 41 or Barbara Bush.

1982 - Bess Truman's funeral was attended by Nancy Reagan, Rosalynn Carter and Betty Ford. No former Presidents attended the services nor did then President, Ronald Reagan.

Alright folks. We have the 5 most recent funerals of former first ladies and only one of them was attended by the then President — Jackie O's by Bill Clinton. Reagan didn't attend Bess Truman's funeral, Bush 43 didn't attend Lady Bird Johnson's funeral and Clinton didn't attend Pat Nixon's funeral.

Clearly the condemnation for Obama for not attending is based entirely on ignorance.

I think the point was that SXSW is more important to Obama. Was there another function they were all attending? Also, were any of those as well known or respected as Nancy?

My guess is some big political reason for SXSW is the culprit...perhaps the minority vote?

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

2011 - Betty Ford's funeral was attended by Michele Obama, Hillary Clinton, Nancy Reagan and Bush 43. The President (Obama) was not in attendance.

2007 - Lady Bird Johnson's funeral was attended by Bill and Hillary Clinton, Jimmy & Rosalynn Carter, Barbara Bush, Nancy Reagan and Laura Bush. The President (Bush 43) was not in attendance.

1994 - Jackie Kennedy Onassis's funeral was attended by Bill (the President) and Hillary Clinton and Lady Bird Johnson.

1993 - Pat Nixon's funeral was attended by Ronald Reagan (but not Nancy) and Gerald Ford. Neither Bill (the President) nor Hillary Clinton attended nor did Bush 41 or Barbara Bush.

1982 - Bess Truman's funeral was attended by Nancy Reagan, Rosalynn Carter and Betty Ford. No former Presidents attended the services nor did then President, Ronald Reagan.

Alright folks. We have the 5 most recent funerals of former first ladies and only one of them was attended by the then President — Jackie O's by Bill Clinton. Reagan didn't attend Bess Truman's funeral, Bush 43 didn't attend Lady Bird Johnson's funeral and Clinton didn't attend Pat Nixon's funeral.

Clearly the condemnation for Obama for not attending is based entirely on ignorance.

I think the point was that SXSW is more important to Obama. Was there another function they were all attending? Also, were any of those as well known or respected as Nancy?

My guess is some big political reason for SXSW is the culprit...perhaps the minority vote?

I do look forward to who is in attendance at Michelle's funeral...

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:33 AM
link   

So you are assuming that the OP didnt condem the other presidents for not attending previous first lady funerals?

Wouldnt that be ignorant?

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3

originally posted by: matafuchs
So since I feel the sitting POTUS should attend the funeral of a former first lady I have no class? Everyone can have an opinion I guess.

He attended Nelson Mandelas funeral...He was there for Senator Daniel Inouye funeral. He was there for Dorothy Height’s funeral. Not to say they are not any less and surely not to say he must attend every funeral but sorry, this is just tasteless.

Mandelas was black and I think the POTUS is a closet bigot with out the guts to declare his feeling. Oh well PC sucks again.

Mandela was a leader of his nation, it's hardly the same thing, but keep scraping the barrel.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: 222mockingbirdlane
When the news of her death was announced, one of the first things that popped in my mind, was that Obama would not be attending her funeral. He shuns any funeral that pays respect to America. Not surprised. I know it is invitation only, but it would look great if Trump attended in his place.

FFS, really? Man, take a step back and take a good look at our funeral rituals. Archaic, superstitious, and frankly, STUPID.

People often act like the dead are still chatting you up or scowling at you for whatever reason you regularly disappointed them for (to them) while living. They're decomposing collections of organic materials, not unlike anything else dead on this planet (unless filled with materials preventing it, but dead is still dead)

Disrespectful to not attend & brown-nose? Really? Bury or cremate, and be done with it. Ritual is only needed for those who need the psychological equivalent of a security blanket. Sheesh, when will we move past this garbage?

I agree. When I die I'm going to have them incinerate me (or throw me in a ditch if its cheaper) then use the money they'd spend on a fancy funeral to throw a kick ass party. Oh wait, I'm an organ donor anyways. Well in any case, no crying at my funeral.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

I think that is a rather safe assumption to make.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

...and that was no less wrong.

Doing something like skipping a funeral for political reasons is just not right.

If something of an earth shaking nature comes up, then yes, obviously you skip, after all your duty is to the living.

Reagan should have attended. ...and so on, and so forth.

It's the right thing to do.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I just learned of this today. Has a sitting President ever skipped the funeral of a former First Lady? Seems callous to me.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join