It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gospel of Thomas selections

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
The most famous text found at Nag Hammadi Egypt in the now famous Library of so called Gnostic texts is the long lost but never forgotten Gospel of Thomas. It was discussed in documents written by early church fathers, and dated around A.D. 80 in it's original Greek. The Nag Hammadi scriptures are from around 3-400 A.D. written in Coptic and were stashed away when Athanasius deemed all non-canonical texts heretical.

The interesting thing about it is its a collection of quotes attributed to Jesus and a whole lot of them are in the New Testament. Im going to list a few:

"Cast not pearls before swine."

Parable of the sower

"Perhaps people think I have come to impose peace upon the world. They do not know that I have come to impose conflicts upon the earth: fire, sword, war. For there will be five in a house: there will be three against two...

"...if the owner of a house knows a thief is coming..."

"...,but you do not see the beam in your own eye.

"You can not enter the house of the strong and take it by force without tying the persons hands. Then you can loot the persons house."

"..., but whoever blasphemes the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, on earth or in heaven."

"...,there is no one greater than John the Baptizer..."

You get the picture. If this book is originally from A.D. 80, dare I say the four Gospels of the New Testament used it for the story of the birth and death of Christ? I am suggesting it is both possible and my opinion that yes this is what happened. That's my opinion. What do you think?
edit on 5-3-2016 by Sassanid because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
It is a possibility. After all many say he didn't exist because his bones weren't found. Or he doesn't have a recorded death. His death wasn't recorded with the common people, his death was made into The Story of how he lived and died
edit on 5-3-2016 by luciferslight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Isn't that the gospel where Jesus states that women must become men to get into heaven.
What makes you think that the other gospels copied the Thomas gospel am
No not vice versa

The premise you undertake is flawed

There are many reasons why Thomas was left out, notably its just plane nonsense, believed written in the late part of the second century. Where you get your information from, who knows

I got my info from CARM
Christian apologetics and research ministry, the gospel of Thomas

Paints a picture explaining why Thomas is nonsense and why your op is probably invalid

No links, no support, yours sounds like assumption and opinion, not what I expect from a good teacher, commentator. Just biased speculation

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Sassanid

Man you really can't take the ATS hint can you.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Doesn't the bible say something about eating Jesus' flesh and drinking his blood? How's that any less ridiculous than a woman becoming a man? They're both symbolic, not literal, so neither is any more ridiculous than the other.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Let's quote some scripture addresses guys.

Raggey,

Gnosisisfaith/Areyousirius etc etc and Now Sassanid already told us he doesn't need proof for his opinions. He has a few other user names he is using simultaneously trying to fool ATS using his IP masking tool

You know what they say, "Don't Feed the Trolls"

edit on 5-3-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Mind sourcing where you got 80 AD from?

After the Coptic version of the complete text was discovered in 1945 at Nag Hammadi, scholars soon realized that three different Greek text fragments previously found at Oxyrhynchus (the Oxyrhynchus Papyri), also in Egypt, were part of the Gospel of Thomas.[18][19] These three papyrus fragments of Thomas date to between 130 and 250 AD.

SOURCE

ETA: Welcome back, maybe you can keep this account longer than a couple days?

edit on 3 5 2016 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Wikipedia

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Isn't that the gospel where Jesus states that women must become men to get into heaven.
What makes you think that the other gospels copied the Thomas gospel am
No not vice versa

The premise you undertake is flawed

There are many reasons why Thomas was left out, notably its just plane nonsense, believed written in the late part of the second century. Where you get your information from, who knows

I got my info from CARM
Christian apologetics and research ministry, the gospel of Thomas

Paints a picture explaining why Thomas is nonsense and why your op is probably invalid

No links, no support, yours sounds like assumption and opinion, not what I expect from a good teacher, commentator. Just biased speculation

At the end of the Gospel of Thomas there is what is most likely an additon. Jesus tells his disciples that he will make Mary Magdalene male. Not physically but meaning accepted as a male would be. This is what you are talking about, it is not offensive. Nothing to do with heaven and it's one sentence.

You a big fan of the boys of nicea?

I have faith that they were just men who had political motives and much of the Gospel is embellished. So I am not afraid of and actually enjoy reading Apocrypha. Especially Apostolic Apocrypha.

I clearly labeled it as my opinion. That means you complain for some reason regardless. I won't guess.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sassanid

Wikipedia

Ummm......wiki is where I got the date that I posted and linked above.

Between 130 and 250 AD.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

Wikipedia

Go to the article on the Nag Hammadi Library.

Ummm......wiki is where I got the date that I posted and linked above.

Between 130 and 250 AD.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Go to the article on the Nag Hammadi Library

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Mystery Religion and Secrets, self salvation garbage.

Salvation Can Be Gained By Learning Secret Knowledge! Sound Familiar?

On a positive note, People can take it as further proof that Jesus did live and that many people were actively working to co-opt his message.
edit on 5-3-2016 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Second.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

This is funny:

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   

This source claims a range of 50-140 CE for the Gospel of Thomas. Don't know the veracity of this info however.

www.earlychristianwritings.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Gnosisisfaith/Areyousirius etc etc and Now Sassanid already told us he doesn't need proof for his opinions. He has a few other user names he is using simultaneously trying to fool ATS using his IP masking tool You know what they say, "Don't Feed the Trolls"

Censorship is the antithesis of ATS' motto.

I also think that some of what he says is nonsense, and I see that his ego clearly gets in the way of his thinking, and that intellectual honesty, respect, and logic are alien to him, but let him speak, he has proven more than once to have read a few good authors, and he does definitely need all the feedback anyone volunteers.

Also, I want to see how many posts it takes before he calls me a war criminal again.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   

The most famous text found at Nag Hammadi Egypt in the now famous Library of so called Gnostic texts is the long lost but never forgotten Gospel of Thomas. It was discussed in documents written by early church fathers, and dated around A.D. 80 in it's original Greek. The Nag Hammadi scriptures are from around 3-400 A.D. written in Coptic and were stashed away when Athanasius deemed all non-canonical texts heretical.

The interesting thing about it is its a collection of quotes attributed to Jesus and a whole lot of them are in the New Testament. Im going to list a few:

"Cast not pearls before swine."

Parable of the sower

"Perhaps people think I have come to impose peace upon the world. They do not know that I have come to impose conflicts upon the earth: fire, sword, war. For there will be five in a house: there will be three against two...

"...if the owner of a house knows a thief is coming..."

"...,but you do not see the beam in your own eye.

"You can not enter the house of the strong and take it by force without tying the persons hands. Then you can loot the persons house."

"..., but whoever blasphemes the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, on earth or in heaven."

"...,there is no one greater than John the Baptizer..."

You get the picture. If this book is originally from A.D. 80, dare I say the four Gospels of the New Testament used it for the story of the birth and death of Christ? I am suggesting it is both possible and my opinion that yes this is what happened. That's my opinion. What do you think?

Who knows?

I just find it interesting the text you quoted from his book came to life with some of the responses I'm reading here.

Anyway,...

One of the quotes you relay in the OP - there is no one greater than John the Baptist - reminds me of John who wrote the Book of Revelations and said no one could take away or add to his prophecy or they would be cursed and lose their place in heaven with the tree of life. That wasn't John the Baptist who wrote that, it was another John, which would make him greater being able to curse people like that. That curse appears to be at the same level as the unforgivable sin if one defiles the Holy Spirit.

If what Thomas said is true, that there is no one greater than John the Baptist, then John could have recieved the vision from John the Baptist or John the Baptist was raised from the dead and actually wrote it himself. Historically, there has been some debate on who exactly wrote it. It's clear people were brought back to life back then after being dead according to the other books, so someone powerful and worthy enough to baptize Jesus Christ Himself could have realistically wrote the prophecy. Which would legitimise not to mess with the prophecy having bound the scroll in a curse should anyone alter the text in it. A huge curse, not just any curse. Cut off from the tree of life. That's huge. That's a majorly bold statement to be made from the one man who didn't die from being persecuted for his belief. John the Baptist, the other Disciples, Jesus Christ Himself, all died young and for a belief or because of their belief. Judas couldn't take it and was said to have offed himself. And then, the text WAS altered having been translated in other languages. That's altering...altering is altering.
edit on 5-3-2016 by WhiteWingedMonolith because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   

They are actually not nonsense if you understand esoteric wisdom....

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

People learn differently... This is why any one particular method is never successful whether you are talking about standard education or spiritual growth. Jesus spoke to most of the people in parables. Modern religion for the masses does the same thing. This covers most of the Bell curve. But some learn things that the masses are not ready to learn... These are the people who would be the targeted students for the Gospel of Thomas. God chooses those who are to understand, not man. But eventually, all will come to understand.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join