It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gospel of Thomas selections

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteWingedMonolith

I think that particular JTB comment is in the New Testament.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: CIAGypsy

Revelation 2:24-26

"But I also have a message for the rest of you in Thyatira who have not followed this false teaching ('deeper truths,' as they call them--depths of Satan, actually). I will ask nothing more of you except that you hold tightly to what you have until I come. To all who are victorious, who obey me to the very end, To them I will give authority over all the nations.

Same Lie Since The Beginning: You can be Gods! LOL, Foolish. Cults of rituals and secret knowledge that isn't a secret is the same delusion since the beginning of mankind.

Genesis 3:3-5
"It's only the fruit from the tree in the middle of the garden that we are not allowed to eat. God said, 'You must not eat it or even touch it; if you do, you will die.'"

And the serpent said to the woman, You shall not surely die:

"Even God knows that on the day you eat from it, your eyes will be opened and you'll become like God, knowing good and evil."

Hint: Salvation is free, the price has been paid, all you have to do is accept it.

edit on 5-3-2016 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: wisvol

Do you insult every member who just joined and wants to share a good book they read with the website? Or are you talking about someone else?

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

You brought up mystery religions and secrets, care to elaborate? Gospel of Thomas is a Christian book.

Salvation CAN be gained by knowledge, knowledge of Jesus. So I don't see you doing anything but complaining about Christianity when you say that.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Sassanid

The Gnostic Nonsense is as much Christian as the Koran, Talmud, and hadith collections.

usminc.org...

Gnosticism was a rebellion against traditional Christian beliefs and attempted to combine Paganism with Christianity. Some Gnostic groups had beliefs that often contradicted the beliefs of other Gnostic groups. The one thing thay all had in common was that all of these groups departed from the orthodox Christian faith. Some of the various beliefs of these groups included:

*A belief in reincarnation

* That Lucifer and Christ were brothers

* That Jesus was not the only begotten Son of God

*That Jesus was actually the Archangel Michael

*That Jesus was all divine and not man

*That Jesus and Christ were two separate beings

*That the Creator God of the Old Testament was evil

* A rejection of all the sacred books of the Old Testament

*That John the Baptist was actually the Messiah, not Jesus

*That Satan is really Christ’s father and the God of the Old Testament is the Devil

*That salvation came through good works alone, and not grace

*That every sin in the Bible was a virtue and held orgies as part of their rites

* A belief in magic words and magic spells

*That women were inferior to men and some groups believed were incapable of salvation

* That sex between men and women was evil

*That the "villains" of the Bible (i.e., Cain, Simon Magus, the Serpent, Goliath, etc) were actually the "good guys". A sort of "Biblical character inversion".

* That The Serpent of the Garden of Eden was actually good and that God was evil

* The worship of the Greek goddess (an idol) of wisdom, "Sophia"

*That homosexuality was permissible and the only sex human beings should have

If you are a Christian reading this, I urge you not to believe that Gnosticism is compatible with Christianity!

Myth: "There were several different "Christianities" competing with one another. St. Paul’s just happen to win out. "

Christ established His Church in Jerusalem. It was headed by his earthly brother, James. The idea that somehow hundeds of different Christianities sprang up at once is impossible. In fact, Ministers in the various Orthodoxchurches (Greek, Russian, Armenian, Ethiopian, Indian,etc., ) Coptic Church of Egypt and Ethiopia, Nestorian Churches, Church of Utrecht and it's offshoots, Roman Catholic Church, and some branches of the Lutheran Church can all trace who ordained them right back to one of the 12 Apostles.

This is known as Apostolic Succession. Apostolic Succession is proof that Christ's Church has never left the earth. Most ministers with Apostolic Succession can trace their lineage back to the Apostle Matthew.

Gnosticism is said to have been formed at the same time as orthodoxChristianity, but this isn’t the case! Gnosticism was a syncretism of the sorcery of European Pagans, Buddhism, Zoroastrianism, and Pagan philosophers such as Plato. It was an attempt to introduce Pagan ideas into Christianity. In 1945 several ancient Gnostic books in the form of leather scrolls were discovered in Nag Hammadi, Egypt.

Among the Nag Hammadi texts was a copy of Plato's Republic. Also found in the Nag Hammadi texts mentioned was a book called The Testament of Truth. It’s an account of the Garden of Eden from the serpent's point of view! A false book titled The Gospel of Thomas written around 400 A.D. was also included. Bible skeptics, liberal theologians, occultists, and such types get a big hoot from these books, but to orthodox Christians they are worthless as sources of scripture.

These scriptures mock the Judeo-Christian God constantly, trying to portray him as evil, bigoted, and jealous. Obviously, Gnosticism is a rebellion against Christianity. Orthodox Christianity logically must have existed before Gnosticism, since if it hadn’t, there would have been nothing to rebel against.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Yeah I know, I don't have the secret wisdom, I am just to dumb to be a gnostic

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 02:23 AM
link   

John 10:34 " Is it not written in your law, 'I said you are gods'?
If those to whom the word of God came were called 'gods'...

You calling Jesus a liar?
Also Thomas is not a "Gnostic" text. It may have been a Gospel found with the very Christian Gnostics library (which you obviously haven't read) but the Gospel itself is not Gnostic just Christian. You sound like you have something against a people you don't understand, which is a sign of a person who is intolerant. I prefer the Nag Hammadi Library to the New Testament. I don't care what your misguided opinion is, although I will defend to the death your right to have it(symbolically, I am not dying for your right to have contempt for other people's beliefs).

You can have your knowledge suppressing Christianity, and I can have my knowledge encouraging Gnosticism. And we can co exist without insulting each other's beliefs.

The people who loved these books were forced to hide them or let them be destroyed. A 1000+ years later God himself revealed them to us, the generation that would not let them be destroyed. This is to me a sign that he wantsus to have them.

The Christianity you are so fond of is full of creeps like Joel Osteen, Creflo Dollar and many disreputable men and women who use the name of the Saviour for financial gain. More churches exist to dignify the pastor than not. He gets to have minions, money and the respect of the faithful. Seldom are these individuals righteous. The religion is forever attached to the vile history of Catholicism, and no matter how much you put down the Catholic church you use 66 of their books in your bible.

I don't have animosity towards you and your lack of tolerance, only pity and a little bit of an urge to chuckle at your willingness to conform to common opinion.

Also, it's not a myth, there were many competing sects of Christianity, you don't have to be a scholar to know this. Paul's religion did win, and to this day seeks to suppress evidence of this. The Messianic Jews of the Apostles were not a part of the Roman church, and all but erased from history. I wonder why.
edit on 6-3-2016 by Sassanid because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 02:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

Yeah I know, I don't have the secret wisdom, I am just to dumb to be a gnostic

I must applaud your humility. It is very intelligence demanding to achieve gnosis. Years of study and discipline are required, and not all of us have the faculties for it. For such people mainstream corrupted and dumbed down Christianity is the proper religion.

I am not convinced the New Testament is complete, and Gnosticism is not for the profane and uneducated on the history of world religions. I've had many Eureka! moments outside of the Christian suppression you are fond of, and I think you might not be cut out for spiritual gnosis. God does the choosing, he reveals what he pleases to those who have proven their ability to handle the gnosis. The Holy Spirit is my guide, the one who leads me to truth. I would advise strongly against insulting or blaspheming the Holy Spirit who has revealed many things both true and not, the not sometimes exists in the bible. I don't expect you to understand, just warning you not to blaspheme the Holy Spirit.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Except that Gnosticism as a philosophy is older than Christianity, and the "God" they are against is that maniacal demiurge Yahweh/Yaltaboath.

I see nothing wrong with that, Yahweh is the most disgusting "god" in the history of religion and not the merciful Father of Jesus. Jesus is the Saviour, his Father ineffable and incomprehensible, no man has met him. He doesn't involve himself in earthly matters except to send his son.

The Father and Son are one, I.e. on the same page. When did Jesus ever order the slaughter of every breathing thing in a nation or any of the heinous acts attributed to Yahwer/Yaldaboath.

And your sources that talk down on the Christian Gnostics are bias, seeking to preserve their tax free corporations and the profits generated by.

Consider the source.

Also, you are misinformed, Gnostic Christianity doesn't teach you how to become a god, it's about salvation through the knowledge of Christ. And renunciation of material desires. You should be educated on a subject before you speak on it, or else your guilty of ignorance.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Lucifer doesn't exist in Gnosticism, it was snuffed out before that myth even began.

It is based off Zoroastrianism, butso are second temple JJudaism AND Christianity. Sorcery has nothing to do with it or Zoroastrianism, that's a misconception because Magi is the root of the word Magic, but the Magi were not sorcerers, just astrononomers. Like the Magi of Matthew who came to pay homage to baby Jesus. (Magi were Zoroastrian priests).

One specific group of Gnostics, the Ophites, revered the serpent as the giver of knowledge. Lumping all Gnostics with them is like calling all Christians Mormons.

The Nag Hammadi scriptures don't even mention homosexuality, and that you think this is a Gnostic teaching shows how far you are willing to go to slander them. Some Gnostics may have been celibate, but nobody was preaching that gay sex is acceptable in any of the many books I have read on the Gnostics. You just keep slandering, it is so honorable.

Sophia is not worshipped either. Reverence and worship are not synonymous.

Simon Magus was a charlatan, he is not mentioned as someone to be honored in the Nag Hammadi texts.

Jesus has the same divine status as Son of God in the Nag Hammadi scriptures as he does in the bible.

Paul was a misogynist who was a rabid woman hater, at least New Testament Paul, Gnostics loved women. There inferiority is not a subject of these scriptures.

I'm done refuting lies lies, apparently someone hates Christian Gnostics. I don't mind, I enjoy being persecuted for my belief that Jesus is the Messiah and Saviour and Son of God.

I love that you have to dig up these lies and/or stereotypes (mostly lies). Revealing.

The biggest lie told in that ridiculous bunch of nonsense is that Satan is Jesus father, this is not in ANY text of Nag Hammadi, or the writings of anti-Gnostic church fathers.

You might want to find a more trustworthy and less agenda having source of information on Christian Gnostics.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Yeah right, we eat Jesus flesh and drink His blood

It's not actually literal, I am sorry

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Oh and it's great to see how wonderfully humble you are

Stay that way, humility won't get you banned again

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Well at least you know your place.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Oa reply to: Sassanid

Go read the sermon on the mount, a few times

One of the most hideous things I can say to you is, May God bless you

There is no joy in a blessing, it's a wake up

Consider that

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Apologetics is defending, defending the faith

I try to tread gently

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Do you insult every member who just joined and wants to share a good book they read with the website? Or are you talking about someone else?

I insult every member who just joined. DHS pays me handsomely for this.

Besides, Chester guessed your identity correctly, not that it was made too hard for anyone reading through last month's theology threads.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I know, but your the humble one. I could never call myself dumb.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   

I learned a long time ago to reflect on others words
Not just to ignore them, think, reflect and self evaluate

Pearls and pigs maybe

I understand you don't care what others think, maybe you should consider why you keep getting banned and evaluate your testimony

From here it's pretty shoddy

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Banned from what? Your words are just hilarious, your perspective ridiculous. You think God is a violent God but he isn't. Those stories are going to your head, it's because you don't understand them and take them literally. You don't see the story within the story.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: wisvol

I hate to tell you but his guess is incorrect and you look foolish as if you're obsessed with this person you think I am. He or she hurt your feelings?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join