It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do we feel about VICE Media?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   
This is my first thread, and I'm just looking for some opinions, since a lot of ATS opinions follow with great reasoning and debate.

I enjoy some of the VICE media segments, I personally think VICE goes to North Korea is great. if you haven't watched it and you're curious about this locked-down, communist state, please watch it. But I also see a lot of bias for what would be considered liberal segments. I sometimes think they focus to much on the PC and LGBT side of things, while also doing their best to pin the enemy/bad guy in a segment, through interview tactics and editing of scenes.

I really enjoy a lot of their content, but the millennial cast of correspondents just take things to far sometimes.
I hope someone can change my view or perhaps even agree?

I fear I cannot provide a lot of evidence as I don't think it's legal for me to download VICE documentaries and cut the scenes I'm referring to. Below are the only examples I could find.

****WARNING***** *the video contains one clip with graphic content(dead bodies)*

VICE Founder Shane Smith has history of lies

I'm aware that the article relates more to personal interests and the company, and not reporting. But if one is not scared of telling a fib in one area of you're life...?

Blow my perspective to shreds, 3...2...1... Go!

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: GreenGunther

Eddie Huang does a lot on Vice. Or did. For that reason alone they deserve kudos

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
My cynical view is that it's Murdoch media for hipsters, but it's actually pretty good. They cover some interesting topics and seem to get good access to what's going on on the ground. I pretty much will watch a vice video if I see one pop up.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   

The North Korea Vice episode was fantastic and I did watch this one on ISIS however I did not get the impression that it was more of a supportive look at ISIS. It was so upsetting to me to see the young kids brainwashed..I believe one was saying death to the infidels...to have such a young kids make such a statement is really sad...I like VICE but who isn't suspect of everything today?

Who's to say down the road that VICE does not sell out and start spinning subject matter..I really enjoyed the killing cancer episode but I wish they would do a follow up..

Nice job for your first thread...I'm impressed that you added video..I still screw that up..
edit on 4-3-2016 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: GreenGunther
This is my first thread, and I'm just looking for some opinions, since a lot of ATS opinions follow with great reasoning and debate.

I enjoy some of the VICE media segments, I personally think VICE goes to North Korea is great. if you haven't watched it and you're curious about this locked-down, communist state, please watch it. But I also see a lot of bias for what would be considered liberal segments. I sometimes think they focus to much on the PC and LGBT side of things, while also doing their best to pin the enemy/bad guy in a segment, through interview tactics and editing of scenes.

I really enjoy a lot of their content, but the millennial cast of correspondents just take things to far sometimes.
I hope someone can change my view or perhaps even agree?

I fear I cannot provide a lot of evidence as I don't think it's legal for me to download VICE documentaries and cut the scenes I'm referring to. Below are the only examples I could find.

****WARNING***** *the video contains one clip with graphic content(dead bodies)*

VICE Founder Shane Smith has history of lies

I'm aware that the article relates more to personal interests and the company, and not reporting. But if one is not scared of telling a fib in one area of you're life...?

Blow my perspective to shreds, 3...2...1... Go!

I like vice media. I think vice reporters are some of the ballsiest in the industry. I also think vice might be a little biased. The segments they've done on Syria I have a slight difference in opinion. All in all I think the company does good work. I would like to see an opinion that is less agreeing with mainstream but they do speak up on fringe topics.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Thanks for all the replies so far! All the commentary is valued.
So far it seems things are leaning in favor of VICE being a good influence.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

My BIL and I discussed Vice last evening. He watched the episode they just released on medical marijuana.
If what they state is true, where autism and cancer is not cured but treated to such levels we have not seen, they are doing a great and valuable service.

They did a segment a while back on firearms in the Philippines. There is a guy making 1911s out of scrap steel with no high tech machinery.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Gavin McInnes segments if you're tired of the PC/LGBT content you mentioned in OP.

Co founder, comedian, anti-hipster even though he looks like one. Take warning if you are easily offended
Vice Co-Founder Gavin McInnes highlights

edit on 342016 by Butterfinger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
They make some really topically diverse and interesting films. They also have some seriously brave reporters.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

What other news source would sent their reporters to cover the Westminster dog show on '___'? That's some darn good reporting right there!
All kidding aside I respect VICE for the fact they seem to be the only "News source" with investigative reporters.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I love these guys. They really show some good things about how the world is changing and adapting. Though they like doing segments on Climate Change (and frankly I don't blame them), so they likely will have some haters here on ATS where you deny AGW at all costs.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
talented, well-produced shows but propaganda sponsored by the progressive think tank.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I hate Vice media. They piss me off to no end. They make light of a lot of awful conditions and situations, gloss over facts, embellish things and just straight make things up to make either a non issue or something fairly dire into something hip and edgy. Every time I hear someone tell me something they've heard about on Vice...
especially anything about drugs. (for the love of god please don't listen to anything vice says about drugs, good or bad!) Some things I've seen on there are so unbelievably inaccurate, 'the world's deadliest drug' one and the one about ibogane come to mind.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I get bored of their hipsters going to third world countries to try and catch a buzz. What was that one, the guy looking for bootleg booze in Africa? haha.

Other segments are better some are just meh, some of the articles look like Milo Yianobpoopapopulous penned them after a night of binge hair bleaching.
edit on 4-3-2016 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Lily Allen sings it best, here's what I think about vice.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Thanks for all the input, feeling pretty proud about my first thread.

dug88, do you have any evidence you can post for your arguments against VICE ?
Especially since you are so turned against their segments on drugs, I also feel they might overdo the drug thing a little to bring in the younger viewers. But do you have any evidence that they have done false reporting to that end, or any other?

Your opinion is valued

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Indeed, being an Africa boy myself I sometimes feel their hipster reporters are to wimpy and first-world to show the true reality of these segments. And proper African bootleg booze is made from battery acid and can sometimes kill/make you blind if the concentrations are wrong.

Not that I would ever try it hehe

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

Solid brownie points to you! This Gavin McInnes is straight to the point and spouting hurtful truth
The best kind of truth.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: GreenGunther
Thanks for all the input, feeling pretty proud about my first thread.

dug88, do you have any evidence you can post for your arguments against VICE ?
Especially since you are so turned against their segments on drugs, I also feel they might overdo the drug thing a little to bring in the younger viewers. But do you have any evidence that they have done false reporting to that end, or any other?

Your opinion is valued

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Desomorphine is the drug being talked about in the 'deadliest drug' video.

Desomorphine (dihydrodesoxymorphine, former brand name Permonid, street name krokodil) is a derivative of morphine with powerful, fast-acting opioid effects, such as sedation and analgesia.[1][2][3][4] First synthesized in 1932 and patented in 1934,[5] desomorphine was used in Switzerland under the brand name Permonid[6] and was described as having a fast onset and a short duration of action, with relatively little nausea or respiratory depression compared to equivalent doses of morphine. Dose-by-dose it is eight to ten times more potent than morphine.[7]

There's a basic description of the drug. The drug itself is similar to morphine or other opiates. The video shows an area in russia being affected by heavy usage of a contaminated version of this drug. The video fails to distinguish the difference between the effects of the contaminants and the drug itself.

It bugs me because, rather than get into the social, economic or political reasons why this desperate #ty situation is occuring, they give a few interviews with junkies one or two with the drug producers and a few snarky comments about living in russia.

I was incorrect in my earlier post. The other video was Scopalamine not ibogaine. They said it was a mind control drug being used to force people to empty their bank accounts and such.

Here's some real info on Scopalamine:

Hyoscine hydrobromide, also known as scopolamine hydrobromide,[3] is a medication used in the treatment of motion sickness and postoperative nausea and vomiting.[4][5]

One common side effect is drowsiness.[6] Scopolamine is a tropane alkaloid drug with muscarinic antagonist effects. Hyoscine hydrobromide exerts its effects by acting as a competitive antagonist at muscarinic acetylcholine receptors; it is thus classified as an anticholinergic, antimuscarinic drug. Although it is usually referred to as a nonspecific antagonist,[7] there is indirect evidence for m1-receptor subtype specificity.[8]

It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the most important medications needed in a basic health system.[9] Scopolamine is named after the plant genus Scopolia.[10] The name "hyoscine" is from the scientific name for henbane, Hyoscyamus niger.[11]

Toxicology Data Network Scopalamine

/SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS/ High doses of scopolamine produce CNS effects (e.g., restlessness, disorientation, irritability, hallucinations) similar to those produced by toxic doses of other antimuscarinics.

Nowhere do any scientific studies mention mind control zombie properties of Scopalamine and it is in fact used in hospitals for many legitimate purposes, that are not creating mind controlled zombies.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

I think they're superb. The articles suit me very much and I sometimes read 20 just through the associated links. They've got a British slant to things that appeals too.

In fact, I'd say it's up there as my Top 5 favourite sites

top topics

<<   2 >>

join