It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hugging is now Sexual Assault. Just ask UVA's "War on Hugs" policy.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   
The University of Virginia thinking hugging (clothed) is considered sexual assault.

If you hug your boyfriend and as a result your clothed body (including your breasts) touches him, you could be accused of “sexual assault” through “sexual contact” under the University of Virginia’s broad new “sexual assault” policy adopted to appease the Office for Civil Rights, where I used to work (assuming you do it without explicitly agreeing on the details of the hug). Because U.Va. lumps together touching, “however slight,” and intercourse when it comes to sexual assault, requiring “affirmative” consent for both. (“Affirmative consent” is a misleading term, and does not include many forms of consent that occur in the real world, and are recognized by the courts, as I explain at this link. The new policy further warns that “Relying solely on non-verbal communication before or during sexual activity can lead to misunderstanding and may result in a violation of this Policy.” Portions of U.Va.’s policy are reprinted below.).

This is an outrageous violation of students’ privacy rights

The actual school policy is posted in the article, here is a piece from it.

(1) Sexual Contact Is:

-Any intentional sexual touching
-However slight
-With any object or body part (as described below)
-Performed by a person upon another person

Sexual Contact includes (a) intentional touching of the breasts, buttocks, groin or Genitals, whether clothed or unclothed, or intentionally touching another with any of these body parts; and (b) making another touch you or themselves with or on any of these body parts.

And the article itself:

libertyunyielding.com...

If you scroll down past the ads you can see all the hilarious Facebook comments.

I liked this one,

Now, I assume that this goes for 'same-sex' 'couples' as well? So, how about all of those hugs, pats on the rear end, etc. that occur on teams during an athletic event. Also, how about all those 'honey shots' in the stands when the boy friend (or husband) is hugging or even kissing his girl friend (or wife) after a touchdown, or a win in the Final Four or any other 'spontaneous' display of affection. How dull will UVA sporting events be now, or, on the other hand, look at all the players and spectators who will be arrested and handcuffed during the games. Not to mention the shortage of players to finish the game.

Good Grief people, get a life.

Good day everyone.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
It's supposed to be a Place of Learning.

Won't hear me complain.

Get an education.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I took my daughter to the mall last weekend.
The way some of the girls were dressed in there could be considered sexual assault.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

A university is an environment for much much much more than just an academic education.

It's talk like that, that leads to policies like this.

edit on 1-3-2016 by frostie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: frostie

A university is an environment for much much much more than just an academic education.

As far as I know, physical intimacy isn't one of them.

Like I said, get an education, when the doors close they can hug it out to their hearts content.

Or are we to allow government over each to tell the Uni how to conduct their business???
edit on 1-3-2016 by CharlieSpeirs because: Spelling.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
i believe that once upon a time - it was expected that young men and women would " go to college // university // national service " etc etc

basically anything that demanded they live outside the parental domicile that had been thier home for the previous 18 years

and :

grow up

any one else remember this strange delusion ??????????

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I was really surprised to find that snapping a girls bikini top is considered attempted rape in Ohio

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Eaxctly! Keggers, toga parties, hazing, opportunities for sorority girls to be 'bi-curious', you know, the good stuff.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: frostie

ISIS, having read this, issued a press release calling this, "Over-the-top" and "Too extreme".

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   

I'd like you to read the last quote I posted in the OP, the one about extra curricular activities. College is a place to learn, but also mingle and learn about your peers. A place of social learning not restricted to the books.

I agree with you, The government should have nothing to do. It's the students that should arise in protest for garbage like this.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Well the reality of it is college campuses have a serious issue with sexual assault. Sounds like this particular college might be going a bit over board but we would have to see how they are enforcing it.

I think the article you posted has a lot of opinion ans assumptions, not sure how much of it is fact. Sounds like some one is taking this policy and creating their own scenarios.
edit on stTue, 01 Mar 2016 10:28:24 -0600America/Chicago320162480 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Anything that vindicates my decision not to attend college is great in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   
The big no no when I was in the military was, "displays of public affection".

Being an old broad, this is not new. Public displays of affection were reserved for close family only, and even then it was very limted.

What some young people consider appropriate today, would be embarrassing for some, even behind closed doors or in the bedroom.

It is always about pushing the envelope. It looks like it has just been pushed too far.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax
Anything that vindicates my decision not to attend college is great in my opinion.

Yea never mind the mental and intellectual assault! WOW. Like going to a reeducation camp I tell you.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Like I said, get an education, when the doors close they can hug it out to their hearts content.

Or are we to allow government over each to tell the Uni how to conduct their business???
So you're okay with a complete PDA ban no matter how harmless the affection is? Is hand-holding okay? That could fall under this rule.

Heck, while we're at it, why not just revise the dress code to make sure men don't feel compelled to commit such horrific sexual assaults such as a friendly pat on the back. Maybe something that covers everything but the eyes. And nothing above the wrists or ankles should be showing either, don't want to tempt them after all.

There we go. Now everything is pure and educational.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

The whole 1 in 4 women get raped on every college campus is completely bogus, unless you consider hugs and unwanted kisses rape. Well, were not far from it.

My state university has 20,000 students, so far this year there have only been two incidences of rape. A mass email by the police gets sent out....

Now for the undocumented rape cases.... I sure there's more then the reported ones but I don't see 1 in 4, 1 in 5 , or 1 in 3 being realistic. Unless 4,000 cases go unreported.

Yes campus assault is a serious matter, just not the myth everyone makes it out to be.
edit on 1-3-2016 by frostie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
The big no no when I was in the military was, "displays of public affection".

Being an old broad, this is not new. Public displays of affection were reserved for close family only, and even then it was very limted.

These days the military is afraid the thing is going to break out into an orgy.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

So you're okay with a complete PDA ban no matter how harmless the affection is? Is hand-holding okay? That could fall under this rule.

Heck, while we're at it, why not just revise the dress code to make sure men don't feel compelled to commit such horrific sexual assaults such as a friendly pat on the back. Maybe something that covers everything but the eyes. And nothing above the wrists or ankles should be showing either, don't want to tempt them after all.

There we go. Now everything is pure and educational.

I'm personally okay with banning PDA.

Mostly because my autistic tendencies render me disgusted by it. Yes to everything you said actually.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

I did read it.

I think it will be a common sense based policy.

I still agree with it.
Uni is a Place Of Learning.

That's the be all end all idea behind Uni/College.

They can have their PDOAs when final class finishes.

I don't see a problem with that, personally.

Here it is again;
"Sexual Contact includes (a) intentional touching of the breasts, buttocks, groin or Genitals, whether clothed or unclothed, or intentionally touching another with any of these body parts; and (b) making another touch you or themselves with or on any of these body parts. "

That mentions naught but intentional breast, buttock, groin or genitals touching...

Why on earth would people in the stands of the big game be doing that in he first place?
Why would people in class be doing that either?

This is ridiculous.
edit on 1-3-2016 by CharlieSpeirs because: Addition.

edit on 1-3-2016 by CharlieSpeirs because: Spelling.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: corvuscorrax

Exceptions for the few at the expense of the masses is what's disgusting.

Public schools are the worst about it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join