It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hugging is now Sexual Assault. Just ask UVA's "War on Hugs" policy.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

originally posted by: frostie
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

A university is an environment for much much much more than just an academic education.

It's talk like that, that leads to policies like this.

As far as I know, physical intimacy isn't one of them.

Like I said, get an education, when the doors close they can hug it out to their hearts content.

Or are we to allow government over each to tell the Uni how to conduct their business???
So you're okay with a complete PDA ban no matter how harmless the affection is? Is hand-holding okay? That could fall under this rule.

Heck, while we're at it, why not just revise the dress code to make sure men don't feel compelled to commit such horrific sexual assaults such as a friendly pat on the back. Maybe something that covers everything but the eyes. And nothing above the wrists or ankles should be showing either, don't want to tempt them after all.

There we go. Now everything is pure and educational.

Yes and soon women here will be wearing berkas and the rest. And then at really sensitive places the full face covering, maybe an eye slot.

link   
a reply to: frostie

I have a feeling this is one of those "catch-all" laws that institutions use when they don't know what to charge someone with. They likely aren't going to arrest and fine everyone giving hugs, but if someone comes and complains about unwanted touching (including hugging), then the university can use this law to punish the offender.

link   

the entire UVA faculty and student body should be forced to spend a year in france

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   

a reply to: corvuscorrax

Exceptions for the few at the expense of the masses is what's disgusting.

Public schools are the worst about it.

You just described humanity in a nut-shell.

Yes it's disgusting and why I'm typically misanthropic.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I can see a day where saying, "Group Hug!" is a hate crime.

Thanks a lot, Obama!

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I did read it.

I think it will be a common sense based policy.

I still agree with it.
Uni is a Place Of Learning.

That's the be all end all idea behind Uni/College.

They can have their PDOAs when final class finishes.

I don't see a problem with that, personally.

Here it is again;
"Sexual Contact includes (a) intentional touching of the breasts, buttocks, groin or Genitals, whether clothed or unclothed, or intentionally touching another with any of these body parts; and (b) making another touch you or themselves with or on any of these body parts. "

That mentions naught but intentional breast, buttock, groin or genitals touching...

Why on earth would people in the stands of the big game be doing that in he first place?
Why would people in class he doing that either?

This is ridiculous.
And if you read, Hugging a female person generally involved touching of the breasts unless you do the PC "Leave room for Jesus" hug where both parties stick their butts out to avoid touching chests.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

A university is an environment for much much much more than just an academic education.

It's talk like that, that leads to policies like this.

As far as I know, physical intimacy isn't one of them.

Like I said, get an education, when the doors close they can hug it out to their hearts content.

Or are we to allow government over each to tell the Uni how to conduct their business???
So you're okay with a complete PDA ban no matter how harmless the affection is? Is hand-holding okay? That could fall under this rule.

Heck, while we're at it, why not just revise the dress code to make sure men don't feel compelled to commit such horrific sexual assaults such as a friendly pat on the back. Maybe something that covers everything but the eyes. And nothing above the wrists or ankles should be showing either, don't want to tempt them after all.

There we go. Now everything is pure and educational.

How can "hand holding" fall under this ruling when "sexual contact" had been thoroughly defined as "intentional touching of the breasts, buttocks, groin, or Genitalia"...

Strawman.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

I read that in the article, not the ruling.

So I dismiss it as a Slippery Slope Fallacy.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Oh thank goodness. Let's get them trained early.

Now the girls won't grow up to become tiresome old ladies who insist on hugging one, no matter how reluctant one is.

And maybe the boys won't grow up to become even more tiresome 'dirty old men'.

Only drawback is it's too late to spare me - yucky ol' ladies

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: berenike

Thanks for reminding me!!

Meant to press charges on my Grammy sue after last thanksgiving...

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Ok well... Some people just take things to far because of personal bias caused through an insane array of possible experiences and the lasting effect of said experiences ie. bias.

Maybe they are all ugly chicks and feel that if they don't get touched nobody should be getting touched, or maybe they were touched to much, or, possibly they are people who just like their space, but then I feel you should be ok with saying "I don't feel comfortable with hugging you". Whatever the reason, people should stop forcing their personal bias on the normal folks.

The PC is becoming to much, and I'm a 90's kid.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: berenike
Only drawback is it's too late to spare me - yucky ol' ladies

Meanie, GILF's need love too.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   

I read that in the article, not the ruling.

So I dismiss it as a Slippery Slope Fallacy.
The slope has never been slippery-er.

Look, Unis are supposed to be places of learning, but not just what you can learn in a book or from a professor. These are young adults who are away from their parents many of them for the first time in their lives, they have to learn how to BE adults. How to function in society and what societal norms are. Things they don't get to learn in High School a lot of the time.

And you want to take that away.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
We are truly a fudged up species, living in a truly dystopian and dysfunctional "civilization".
edit on 3/1/2016 by Klassified because: quotes

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I daren't answer you - but I was sorely tempted

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I don't want to take anything away.
Please stop.

I agree with the policy, but I couldn't careless of its enacted.

It just makes sense that a Uni doesn't want people walking round groping each other.

How about learning the life lesson of restraint and waiting until class is finished.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: berenike
I daren't answer you - but I was sorely tempted

Probably wise.

This topic is absurd, what other kind of behavior do people want to legislate? Pretty soon we will have to avert our eyes when talking with each other for fear of eye rape.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   

I don't want to take anything away.
Please stop.

I agree with the policy, but I couldn't careless of its enacted.

It just makes sense that a Uni doesn't want people walking round groping each other.

How about learning the life lesson of restraint and waiting until class is finished.
But according to this policy, it's in effect for all students at all times on campus, not just "during class".

You're honestly trying to tell young adults with raging hormones NOT to grope each other for four years or more. Good luck with that.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Eye rape is no joke!

Millions of women on beaches around the country have suffered from this!

And don't get me started on night clubs. The suffering from eye rape is unimaginable!

(the horror, the horror)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Wait until they figure out a way to read our thoughts. The litany of mental perversions we run them through is nothing compared to a nice hug with boobies.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join