It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bugging Out With Pack Goats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I've chosen this supplier of pack goat equipment at random. There must be other good suppliers. These are as good as any. Simple and straight to the point.

www.buttheadpackgoats.com...

The saddle. It must fit the goat.

The angle of my saddles are standard, or can be custom
made

The panniers. You can do without panniers and fasten your own bags onto the saddle. Easier to buy these and know they're designed for the job.

Learn everything you need to know about goat welfare.

Adjust the straps to fit the goat.

Ensure you have the same weight either side.

You're ready to go.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester

I would recommend mules over goats.
We've been using mules in the mountainous areas of Afghanistan for over 5 years now and they are very effective.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Using goats as pack animals is thinking outside the box in a SHTF scenario. Unfortunately for me my homeowner's agreement won't allow keeping goats or other farm animals for that matter. I'll have to rely on bikes if it comes to that.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

A smaller person may prefer goats. The packs are lighter and don't have to be lifted so high. Also there's less risk of being injured by the animal.

First time I went into the mountains on my own with a pack donkey he nearly got me. Looking down into the valley on my left I suddenly caught sight of something white above me to my right. Glancing across I was just in time to see the donkey on his hind legs toppling over towards me. It was our first day together and he was testing me.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Goat's milk is healthier than cow's milk for type O blood folks.

Goats can eat anything.

There is a story about a mule that plowed a field for ten years just to kick the owner once, while he wasn't looking.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I'm a bit surprised that no one has mentioned the "Goatwalking" of James A. Corbett.

Corbett believed that the Patriarchs of the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament were able to cross deserts because they did so with flocks of goats. Corbett describes the goats' ability to get moisture from desert forage that humans cannot ingest, and how a person (himself) crossed deserts without access to water, but by living on goat milk and goat meat.

Corbett and others had been able to cross back and forth over the US/Mexican border, in the company of large flocks, totally undetected by either authorities or smugglers.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

I would recommend mules over goats.
We've been using mules in the mountainous areas of Afghanistan for over 5 years now and they are very effective.

Goats would actually be superior to mules in several ways.

Smaller, easier to manage, better to eat, their hides are more easily worked, their hair can be braided into threads for fabric. Anything a woodsman would get by processing a deer, can be gotten from a goat.

Yes, much the same can be said of a mule, but they also smell even worse when dead. They need more food, water, and care. Make more noise when traveling.

Too me, the last point says a lot. I prefer to move as quiet as possible.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Goats do make sense if you're in established area but in a bug out its too much to evade others.

Silent hunting dogs like Weimaraners sure make sense, just IMO.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: darkknight

This guy obviously didn't read the instructions.

www.willisms.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Y'all watch The Waltons and Grizzley Adams? Is your SHTF dreamscape a place were you and the goats are hiking in calm wilderness? Sounds cool my friend. Laying out in the sun and the goats are chewing the grass.Magical.

See my dreamscape sees goats as food and guys with goats as obstacles and targets. Cheap labor,food on the hoof, leather, milk. Goats!! TRADE??You my friend would have to die.
:

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: steamiron

Do not underestimate the power of goat.

new topics

top topics

join