It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do I have to pay for Flints bad water?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

If you took away people's pensions (and everything else they own) to pay the bill ... you might avoid such occurrences in the future.

Seriuosly?

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: tinner07
a reply to: Nyiah

In the end, that 30 million should be refunded, every penny of it. By the individual people ultimately found at direct fault. Plus interest for good measure.

In the end in may be refunded to the people that had the bills in Flint. Redistribution at it's finest. From the middle to the lower (all by the evil 1%).

That way the Fed can claim to be looking out for the "little guy" while solidifying their voting block at the expense of people that never voted for them to begin with. As well as costing the other team a huge black eye by taking the money from the workers to begin with.

Brilliant work actually.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: tinner07
They're probably $20-on-sale dollar store Tracfone Androids at best (and those really are that price this week, as per their email ad)

Seen a lot of those budget pre-pays explode in popularity over the years, especially since they got nicer looking. Unfortunately, it comes with constant assumptions of brand.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

If you took away people's pensions (and everything else they own) to pay the bill ... you might avoid such occurrences in the future.

Seriuosly?

For those responsible? Absolutely.

I'd even go further ... like full-retard ... and hold their kids and grandkids just as accountable.

A mistake this big isn't simply oversight. There's cover-up. Those responsible "getting away with it" is the appeal to commit more white collar crime.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Did you get a deal like this from snyder:

Snyder also signed into law a controversial law that limits the ability of the Treasury Department to hold corporate officers personally liable for the unpaid taxes of corporations. That law is expected to reduce state revenues by about $295 million over the next three years, of which about $165 million will impact the general fund, the state's main checking account.

www.lansingstatejournal.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Sure but where does the money go?..back into the system/infastructure one would assume. I doubt there is a group of people waiting to split up the money and deposit in personal accounts.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   

So I assume we all know about the ongoing water issues in Flint MI. If not, in order to save money Flints Governor appointed emergency mgr decided to stop buying water from Detroit and opened the Flint river for city water. The water was not treated properly and caused existing lead pipes to corrode and leach lead into the drinking water.

This in itself is horrible, lasting effects on children.

But thats not why I am angry.

They say the residents of Flint should not have to pay their water bills, I agree. The city was "selling" toxic water.

But our Gov. just wrote the city of Flint a check for 30 million dollars to pay their bills.

I'm sorry but as a Michigan taxpayer why do I have to pay their bills? How can they charge anybody for toxic water?

We can drop down and say most of those bills havent been paid in years as much of Flints residents are living in poverty and food and new iphones top water bills.

I dont think the residents should have to pay for that water but I certainly shouldnt have to pay for it.

You pay state taxes for the expenses of the state. You don't like to pay state taxes to Michigan, move.

I imagine the 30 mil will go toward operations and salaries. 30 million would not cover a long period of time for the water itself.

How is it you know that Flint residents prize I Phones over water bills?

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Who was responsible for the lead contamination to begin with?

So a lot of community pipes are made of lead. calcium build up coats the pipes and makes lead pipes safe.

the Flint people diverted from standard practice and the ignored warnings, the chemical treatment they used allowed water to be caustic and allowed the lead to be leached into drinking water

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Sure but where does the money go?..back into the system/infastructure one would assume. I doubt there is a group of people waiting to split up the money and deposit in personal accounts.

And if there are ... well, they have to be paid, and paid well, for their hard, benevolent work on behalf of the people, and you know where that salary, and bonus, and pension, comes from, right? Out of the very fund that should be going to the injured parties.

Isn't that what happened to the Deepwater Relief funds? Swallowed up by the money paid to those who were supposed to distribute it?

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   

a reply to: rickymouse

Most of the money seems to being scarfed up by the medical and psychology people.

I dont mind that so much, but they said the 30 mil was going to pay their water bills. Thats our money.

You see the word OUR there. When you live in Michigan, the population of the state = OUR.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   

So a lot of community pipes are made of lead. calcium build up coats the pipes and makes lead pipes safe.

the Flint people diverted from standard practice and the ignored warnings, the chemical treatment they used allowed water to be caustic and allowed the lead to be leached into drinking water

"Advisers advocated moving Flint back to its prior drinking water source only months after the city made a fateful April 2014 switch from Lake Huron water to a local river. Following the switch, the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) did not require Flint to treat the river water with anti-corrosion agents, allowing lead to leach off pipes and flow into households.

Residents began to complain about the city’s water quality. As early as October 2014, concerned about the noticeable water issues, Snyder’s top legal counsel proposed moving Flint back to Detroit’s water utility until a new system was in operation."

www.theguardian.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   

[/quote
I guess it is the Flint water authority? but it does take some looking into. The guy from Virginia that said the water was lead was not only ignored, was said was wrong.( He is the guy in charge now) not sure who he talked to first. Pediatricians said lead levels were high were ignored.

Ultimate resposibilty would be the people that took water from the river and did not add anti caustic stuff to it as they knew they should have.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Yes I know that, and if your husband drops 30 million on a bet is it still "our"money?

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

lets say you have 5 kids and they all need shoes. We got the money for shoes but 1 kid does something stupid and needs a special shoe.

We have money for 1 special shoe but the other kids go without.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   

or this.. The neighbors are burning their house down and want you to pay to rebuild it... You OK with that?

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   

You talk good and probably shop at wal-mart and are anti union.

you'd be wrong, in both cases.... I don't think I've been to a wal-mart in over year and I've been very vocal about the harm that's been done to the working class because of outsourcing, union busting, ect.

hey I know, we outsourced most of the jobs to china, and well, now china now has all these empty cities built and ready, let's just outsource the poor to them also, would that make you happy?

There is just so much wrong with how our cities are built today, and I do have a point about the eastern states. Even with all the revilization projects that have occurred. The water systems are old, the electrical grid is old, the road system is outdated, and their designs are outdated. We could have better.

And well, read up on the love canal, in so many ways it is similar to flint, although probably not as permanent. In both cases, gov't ineptness playes a big role, in both cases their actions resulting in the area becoming quite toxic. and well, maybe the solution should be the same, get the people out of there.. I mean, is it possible that the corrosive damage to the pipes haven't made it necessary to lay down all new lines, a whole new water treatment plant? how long would that take, how long to you expect the people of flint to put up with their kids being exposed to lead and god knows what else?

I can just about guarantee you that just about any produce grown in the northeast has arsenic in it. I will also say that there's a chance that any playground that you might allow your kids to play on is over a dump. I grew up in ny, played in creeks that ran through what is now superfund sites. there is actually a playground's baseball field on top of the dump that was the source of the chemicals for the site. I don't know how else to put it, the land has been used and abused for centuries, it needs a rest.

and why are the residents on welfare or disability? is it because they just aren't employable or is it that there just isn't nothing in the area that they can do? if it's the later, that is just more of a reason to help them relocate somewhere where there is something for them to do..

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I agree..overpaid criminals IMO, anyone with culpability should of been fired or recalled from public office.. we do know those a-holes will get paid either way.
Remember the monies collected by the Red Cross for Haiti..gone like the wind, so I get what you are saying. I still think/hope for the most part this particular payout will go to fixing the problem.
edit on 27-2-2016 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

thats a pretty #in good answer.. I dont have to read up on love canal. I remember it.

But the problem is we cant move them out. To where? another saturated welfare city?

We have lost mfg jobs in this country.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   

love the avatar.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Here's a question for you. Why are you even in Michigan? Talk about a state of fail. You got Flint. You got Detroit. You're going to be paying taxes to pay for failure for as long as you live in Michigan.

Why are you even there?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join