It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Funeral Songs

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

It is pretty funny how they go about it, it's a very self-aware and self-depreciative show; Rick even says, "It's not like we can do this every week, we get two or three more of these, tops" xD

I'm an existentialist at heart, so yeah, I do agree with the idea that we are all just here, with no predetermined or significant purpose. It's up to the individual to create their own meaning and significance in life.

There's a thread here about Rick and Morty, have a looksie..

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: spygeek
Speaking of music and self-deprecation there is a band called Type O Negative, they have a compilation album entitled "Best Worst of Type O Negative" (should be correct) and one of the "songs" is silence...because them not playing is some of their best work. They really are good though. Just that sense of humor.

Opening it up in a new tab as I type. I don't believe in a predetermined path, but certainly in the creation of our own. So many philosophical topics to discuss. For example is man inherently evil? Or is there good and evil? That is a question posed by the novel The Devil and Miss Prym by Paulo Coelho, beautiful novel. Definitely recommend it.

What is your meaning in life? Personally mine own is to help those that are close and to find someone to love without end, without limit and to be loved by them equally. Feels like a really cliche meaning of life, but that's what life means to me. To find someone, to just present them with my love at all times, to propose to them, to have children. I'm not certain what people want. This semester I have a 25 page paper due and I plan on discussing a semi philosophical, semi political topic. Capitalism versus Communism, but not the usual way. The effect on society of each based on first and second hand experience.

I understand people love things. But for me, once I have someone to love and start a family I won't need all the technology I have now. Books will be the primary material items in my possession. That is the dream anyways. Sheesh, I really went all out..
edit on 25-2-2016 by Tiamat384 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Wait a sec....am I in charge of the funerals now!?

Yes, I'm afraid so. But thanks for volunteering.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

Well then...I hope to die first to be rid of this role!

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Noooo! That's too extreme! Just be crap at it, someone will come along wanting to do it 'properly' in good time.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

Nothing is too extreme! Hmm. No I have to do everyone an honor for them dying. Its the membership of ATS after all.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
OK. Since you're taking requests!

First choice:
Black Label Society, Life, Birth, Blood, Doom

Second choice:
The Godfathers, Birth, School, Work, Death

And at the reception:
DVDA

edit on 25-2-2016 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: grammar nazi

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Ah. Black Label Society. Saw them live two years ago with Down. At the end of the show. The last song played by Black Label Society was Im Broken (Pantera) with Phil Anselmo vocals (of course). It was great. They have great songs. Good choice!

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Wished I lived somewhere more central to just go see a show like that. "Oh, look! BLS is playing tonight" doesn't really happen in Alaska. Here, BLS would be an event that a bunch of people who don't even listen to BLS would show up and have conversations during the show.

But then again there is something about wide open spaces that is rather calming!

edit on 25-2-2016 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: grammar nazi

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
You live in Alaska?! I have some dreams of living there. Well, partial dreams. It seems so beautiful up there. I'll certainly visit there one day. Can't miss out on that. Yes, wide open spaces, no people...that is my heave

Really, ah how disrespectful that would be! Least you would enjoy them. Maybe come sometime down South where they're more likely to play. Catch a show
It'd be worth it.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
My friend moved to Santa Fe and we've talking about me coming down to visit. Beers, chili, and catch a few shows.

Yeah, people around here seem to think it is fine to talk to their buddies about nothing at all while a band is playing. I don't get it. Why pay all that money to go to a show just to talk? My mind boggles! Seriously, we had Primus show up for our summer solstice party and only about a third of the crowd paid attention to the music. The rest drank beer and talked to their friends!

That is a good reason to go to shows nobody knows about (local punk bands, death metal shows, local singer-songwriters) just to enjoy the music. I've made a few friends that way!

If you visit, don't come during prime tourist time because the price of everything goes up. Sometimes you can't help it. Most people get to come to some symposium or meeting and have the company pay. The bar tenders are more than accommodating when splitting the bar tab from the food tab!

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
You definitely should. I haven't heard of any good shows coming up, but I'm not sure what you're into either. Sounds real good though, beer, chili, some good live music and all in good company. No better way to relax.

Haha really? What do people talk about? Don't they find it, well, just a little bit too loud? I don't actually know Primus. Let's see what a quick Google search will do. Hmm rock band. Now to YouTube for a sample. At least they drank beer. Ok so Primus is not my style.

How do you find out about shows no one knows about? And how are those local bands? Do they keep true to the sound or are they like the modern day core bands or like the mainstream bands. I know there is a "punk" band that is called something like 5SON or something. Guy has green hair. Poseurs the lot. Avenged Sevenfold too.

What is the prime tourist time? When there's finally up to an hour of sun and only a foot of snow?
Anything you'd suggest seeing there? I won't be for at least a few years till I'd come, but it'd be nice to know. And certainly if some good show that's unheard of were playing, I'd be excited to see that. Smaller venues tend to be better. Hate those big stadium concerts...having to sit..so I don't go to those.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tiamat384
Speaking of music and self-deprecation there is a band called Type O Negative, they have a compilation album entitled "Best Worst of Type O Negative" (should be correct) and one of the "songs" is silence...because them not playing is some of their best work. They really are good though. Just that sense of humor.

Heh, brilliant.. xD
I've heard of Type O Negative, but never really listened to them, I'll have to check them out..

Opening it up in a new tab as I type. I don't believe in a predetermined path, but certainly in the creation of our own. So many philosophical topics to discuss. For example is man inherently evil? Or is there good and evil? That is a question posed by the novel The Devil and Miss Prym by Paulo Coelho, beautiful novel. Definitely recommend it.

The problem of good and evil is one of the false dichotomy. In my opinion, there is a spectrum between them, and no such thing as "pure" good or evil.. Most people's actions and decisions arise from personal selfish need, whether they have good or evil implications is not the motivation, I believe. Having said that, there certainly is an aspect of ill-will amoung some people, psychopathic nihilists and the like really do want to watch the world burn, but even that I feel is not evil, per se, and arises out of their own self-destructive desires and alienation.

I've read "The Devil and Miss Prym", it was at least a decade ago though.. I feel I should revisit it now, it is an excellent work.

What is your meaning in life? Personally mine own is to help those that are close and to find someone to love without end, without limit and to be loved by them equally. Feels like a really cliche meaning of life, but that's what life means to me. To find someone, to just present them with my love at all times, to propose to them, to have children

I'm pretty much in agreement here. The pursuit and exemplification of real, honest, unconditional love is a worthy meaning for one's life. Being a professor, I find also find meaning in the education and guidance of people, I feel it is an important and under-appreciated duty of ours as human beings, to teach and enlighten, share experience and wisdom. The root of much ignorance and misunderstanding is a lack of education, and I feel the importance of teaching younger generations what we have learnt cannot be overstated.

I'm not certain what people want. This semester I have a 25 page paper due and I plan on discussing a semi philosophical, semi political topic. Capitalism versus Communism, but not the usual way. The effect on society of each based on first and second hand experience.

Interesting.. I would like to read it if you wouldn't mind sharing it with me.

I understand people love things. But for me, once I have someone to love and start a family I won't need all the technology I have now. Books will be the primary material items in my possession. That is the dream anyways. Sheesh, I really went all out..

People's attachment to material possessions is rather superficial, and I personally wouldn't define it as love. Often they are "filling a hole" in their lives with these things, become dependent on them and over-protective of them, sometimes even defining themselves by them.. I personally don't particularly care for 'things', with the exception of books, like you, as well as art and music.

Books are not just 'things'. They contain ideas, personalities, unique perspectives and imaginative interpretations. They, along with much art and music, convey humanity at its most personal, introspective, and wise. To me, art and literature are the most important commodities we have, and they should be held in much higher regard than replaceable techonologies of convenience.

I appears i may have gone all out as well. We are straying pretty far off topic here.. It's your thread though, so do as you like and I will follow.. xD

(perhaps this song belongs in the existential music thread..)
edit on 25-2-2016 by spygeek because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Talk about? What they are going to do next week! The music is loud so they get louder... (shakes head)

I am here in Anchorage. With a buddy in a band it is one good way to a) find out about shows, b) get in for free while hauling around amps and speakers! That is how I found a little punk scene happening. Yeah, guy with a megaphone singing only through that was awesome. You know, "One, ta, three, four!" Skinny guy with spiked orange hair, ripped shirts, holes in the jeans. Lees than three minute songs. Another band with just a drummer and bass player! Nicely authentic. They are also the guys to go plaster a light poll with paper flyers and concentrated milk glue!

There are several places to check out live music. Mid-sized bars (100-200 people or so) during the winter and we just pour into the parking lots during the summer! There is a local newspaper that is more than happy to list local music--best part is, its free. Usually there are festivals during the summer that have national acts show up. Local pizza place does the summer solstice show. Seen Cake, G Love, Primus and, last year, was Jane's Addiction there. A new place just opened and they had Big Head Todd which great except for the talking. Last week was Powerman 5000 in same venue (missed that). The show I really wanted to see was Neko Case which I did not know about until the night before (face palm). I like all types of music so that works out well when you go see the Crystal Method one week, Michael Schenker the next, the Canadian Brass the following month!

Summer time is prime tourist season. May-June-July are typically packed with tourists being shuttled around (plane to hotel, hotel to train, then back to hotel then planes!) Unfortunately, they also tend to go to the places I hang out for beers after werk. Hate never being able to find a seat during these months.

[ETA: The whole state is bigger than most realize! Definitely get out of town and into the wilderness. Even an hour drive will get you out of sight and into great scenery! The local ski mountain has a cool little town around it that is only 40 minutes away. If people are pressed for time that is one I point out.]

edit on 25-2-2016 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: answer a question I seemed to skip over

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
They're a great band (or were, RIP Peter Steele) and watch their, or the vocalists interviews. They are hilarious.

So you agree with the book? That there is both good and evil. The book never actually says whether it is pure or not so one can assume that there is as you say, a spectrum. It is the best work by Paulo Coelho (that I've read) and yes, beating the Alchemist. I have to say, seeing the world burn, well. Let's just say the human species is not a beautiful thing. It certainly has the capability of beauty and of creating beauty, but in itself it is rather ugly.

You're a professor? Well what is it that you teach? I'm very curious. Hmm, you are very right. Educating the young, and the old too for that matter, is a very noble pursuit in life (though salaries fail to show this), but I'd almost put educating along with helping people, because ultimately providing the means to wisdom, or directly wisdom, is in fact helping someone.

I would be glad to share it with you if you're willing to wait till around May when I will have it complete. I would send it to you by email, or perhaps share it on ATS as a post, but 25 pages (double spaced so 12 and a half actual pages) may be too long for a post.

Oh no, the "love" of things isn't true love, but people seem to equate it to such. Perhaps devotion, or obsession, to the obtaining of material things would be a more apt description. I think you are right about defining themselves by what they own. This seems very true of people with money, but not excessive amounts. In order to make show they spend more money on items for the public to see, overstating their "wealth". Though true wealth is in personality, knowledge and books.

Again we agree. Books are, most broadly defined, gateways. Now depending on the book it is a gateway to some different place. To new worlds or knowledge are the two most common. I despise the technologies people use to read books on. The electronic books are empty. They have the words, but not the texture or smell.

Culture is of utmost importance, but it would seem the world we are living in is straying away and culture is dying. True, there is "music" of today, but is it culture when drug use, consumption of alcohol, murder and sex seem to be primary topics? And "art" where one throws paint at a canvas or draws a line. And literature, the art I hold above all others (except music which is right beside), seems to be so common that it is difficult to find a good piece of literature (modern). Is culture dying? If so, truly a dystopia will follow.

You're right it is my thread, but regardless I would very much like to continue this discussion as it is pleasant and rather intellectual (of course it is, you are a professor after all) and I always hate when such discussions come to an end. With so many topics such discussions should be endless.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Are you serious...why!!! Stealing tickets from people that may want to actually go...

Not surprised, out of about 730 thousand people in Alaska 300 thousand live in Anchorage. Ah, a buddy in a band. Do you play and any videos on YouTube that I may here them play? Ah that sounds amazing. I envy you. One day I'm popping up there for a visit. Just a few years.

I'm guessing you can find the bars concert listings for the year online? I hope.
Oh ok, newspaper will be useful. Man you're listing bands I don't even know (except Jane's Addiction). I'll have to try and find them. How come you missed the show? You see. I don't like all music. No, no no. No you see me. I like true metal and punk. Nothing modern, nothing weird. No poseurs. And as I like the loudest and (some bands) the most aggressive bands I am very calm myself.

Alright I was right with the timing then
I'd like to drive from NYC west through the mainland USA to California up to Oregon (Voodoo Donuts in Portland I believe) through Washington, 800 miles of Canada and into Alaska. Much like the Into the Wild (film) journey, except completely by car. Must be terrible. How are tourists? Do they act touristy?

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Not sure who put this video together but it was the only youtube vid with the studio version of this song instead of just the demo. Anyway... its already in my will that this song will be played at my party, because F___ having a somber, tear filled funeral or memorial service. This song as well as some from my own band will be the soundtrack for my oblivion. Lest I digress further, Agents of Oblivion- Wither

edit on 25-2-2016 by peter vlar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

Going out happy huh? What music do you play? I have to say now listening, it doesn't sound exactly cheerful.
EDIT: Sorry for the short response. Terrible internet now. Good to know we all have time till our demises and good job trying to argue in defens of Satanism.
edit on 25-2-2016 by Tiamat384 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   

I really miss Type O. Peter was the nicest guy in the world, even after a few bottles of the vino. Are you familiar with his prior band, Carnivore? Type O's first album, Slow Deep and Hard is pretty similar musically to Carnivore but Carnivore was closer to and inspired by NY Hardcore with some more metal influences. I was lucky to see both bands and Type O played up here a lot. It was only a few hours drive and we could get them to play for a little less money by just calling Pete and skipping over their management. Needless to say, they were up a few times a year, especially in the early to mid 90's(damn I feel old now!).

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tiamat384
a reply to: peter vlar

Going out happy huh? What music do you play? I have to say now listening, it doesn't sound exactly cheerful.

here are 2 songs from my band. I'm playing bass and singing on these 2

blackironprison.bandcamp.com...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join