It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tampa Police refusing to provide security to Beyonce show

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: queenofswords

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: DrakeINFERNO
a reply to: UnBreakable

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

So she should stop paying her taxes?

I don't think cops should have to police private venues for commercial events.

They do it as an extra job and get paid really good money for doing it. On duty police are not required to do it.

Is the city reimbursed for their costs if they provide security for a celebrity? If so, then the taxpayer is out zero dollars.
If they do not provide security, it costs the taxpayer zero dollars.
I don't think tax dollars should pay for security because someone is a celebrity. High ranking govt officials, yes, singers... no.

I'm almost positive their security whether off-duty police or not aren't paid with taxpayer money. The venue would pay the off-duty cops or private security.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
Wow, the LITERAL PC POLICE.

Funny how some of you are always blabbering incessantly about the First Amendment when it comes to denouncing the evils of "political correctness" or when something happens like a police commissioner is caught dropping racial epithets about the President in a restaurant but let a black entertainer express an opinion through her art that conflicts with your politics and you're all "reap what you sow."

I think it is more about personal safety when she gets the crowd excited and all those targets in blue are standing there. She can afford private security as she is hosing her fans out of many bucks to see her jiggle about in person. My bet is that the cops will worry about traffic control duty around the event for the same reason.
If she does incite violence with her lyrics, will she be held responsible?

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: amicktd

originally posted by: queenofswords

They do it as an extra job and get paid really good money for doing it. On duty police are not required to do it.

Is the city reimbursed for their costs if they provide security for a celebrity? If so, then the taxpayer is out zero dollars.
If they do not provide security, it costs the taxpayer zero dollars.
I don't think tax dollars should pay for security because someone is a celebrity. High ranking govt officials, yes, singers... no.

I'm almost positive their security whether off-duty police or not aren't paid with taxpayer money. The venue would pay the off-duty cops or private security.

Then it is their choice whether they work the off duty time.
If I was a cop, I would choose not to work it... in this case.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subnatural

I'm actually surprised they do that in America. You guys privatize a lot more than us Europeans, but in my country private security companies are hired to keep order at shows and festivals and the like. Of course if it's a big event the cops may have a liaison there to keep an eye on things.

I could understand the cops keeping an eye open outside the venue during such an event, in case some riot should erupt and then they could call in the troops, so to speak.

Yeah, I think that makes sense. Ironically, over here there has been some controversy about the private companies. They guard subway stations too, for example. People are scared they will get out of control because they aren't real cops. I guess it's a bit like the mall cops you have in America. I think it's working out pretty well though, so far.

But yeah. I think it makes sense for events taking place in enclosed areas to use private security. As long as it's regulated, and someone keeps an eye on it. But in many ways it's easier here. Less people, and colder, heh. People don't get too rowdy.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I'm slowly forming the opinion that anything pro-black in this country is looked upon with disdain and hatred.

Bey's performance was anti-police, haha! I literally can't laugh hard or long enough.

But i'll let Charlamagne Tha God speak

edit on 19-2-2016 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Beyonce may have made a huge mistake in her over the top SB statement. Yes, there are bad cops that do bad things, but most of us know that the vast majority of them are decent hard-working family men and women that put their lives on the line to do their jobs.

I know people from the Vietnam era that even today will turn off their TV if Jane Fonda's face pops up. After her blatant disrespect for our soldiers and her near treasonous acts, her movie career went down the tubes and she had to resort to work out videos and marry wealthy men to survive. For all these years, they have held to their principles and to this very day wouldn't pee down her throat if she were dying of thirst.

Celebrities that think they are above the consequences of their tirades will learn. Yes. They have a right to say anything they want about anything, but the people that hear it have the right to forget about them and stop supporting them.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
Wow, the LITERAL PC POLICE.

Funny how some of you are always blabbering incessantly about the First Amendment when it comes to denouncing the evils of "political correctness" or when something happens like a police commissioner is caught dropping racial epithets about the President in a restaurant but let a black entertainer express an opinion through her art that conflicts with your politics and you're all "reap what you sow."

Umm, are you really just realizing that double standard? They only believe in 1st amendment rights for themselves, not for everyone else. Just as they only want government to stay out of their lives. But they have no problem legislating restrictions on the rest of us. And it's ok for them to be anti-government, but defiance against the government isn't ok for the rest of us (abusive law enforcement are government, too).

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Thats confusing, because:

Tampa police: There is no Beyonce concert boycott, officers are signing up

TBO.com staff
Published: February 19, 2016
Updated: February 19, 2016 at 11:45 AM

The police union boss in Tampa may not be a big Beyonce fan these days, but local law agencies on Friday insist plenty of officers and deputies will be working off-duty security for her April 29 in Tampa.

There’s no boycott, contrary to some recent media reports — based on “inaccuracies,” Tampa police said — after Tampa Police Benevolent Association president Vinny Gercitano, in a Facebook post, expressed disgust with the “anti-police message” in Beyonce’s recent Super Bowl performance and new “Formation” video.

Gercitano urged officers to not purchase Beyonce’s music or tickets to her concerts, and supported any member who choose not to work the extra duty at the April 29 show. However, he never called for a security boycott of the show at Raymond James Stadium.

Nevertheless, the Tampa Police Department has responded to the criticism on social media, trying to clear up any controversy.

What?! @TampaPD officers have been in #formation for days signing up to keep the #Beehive safe! #Truth #Fact pic.twitter.com/5skrSDNHNS
— TampaPD (@TampaPD) February 18, 2016

“ The bottom line — the event will be staffed with police officers. It is unfortunate that this has been taken to the level that it has,” the department wrote on Facebook.

“There are people signed up to work the event, and it isn’t uncommon for events not to be filled two months prior to the actual date,” the agency wrote. “In addition, individual police officers do have a right to an opinion just like the rest of the world, and they also have the right not to volunteer to work for an event on their off time.”

Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Cristal Nunez concurred, saying among deputies there was no boycott “that we know of, but we’re still two months out from the concert date.”

I respect my cities police because I know for a fact they are very strict professionals, and they do not put up with the crap that goes on in other municipalities like Miami. In fact...

Tampa’s Jane Castor to monitor Miami police as part of federal settlement
TAMPA — Retired Tampa Police Chief Jane Castor has been chosen to monitor a four-year program overseeing the Miami Police Department as part of a proposed settlement with the U.S. Department of Justice.

The settlement was struck in 2011 following a federal investigation into 33 police shootings, according to a story in the Miami Herald.

This story should be about:

Miami police union prez: Cops won’t work off-duty at Beyoncé show
Miami’s police union members have voted to boycott Beyoncé’s concert at Marlins Park in April because of her Super Bowl performance and the release of a video that pays homage to the Black Panthers.

In a letter urging other police agencies across the country to take a similar stance, Fraternal Order of Police President Javier Ortiz accused the pop icon used this year’s Super Bowl “to divide Americans by promoting the Black Panthers and her anti-police message shows how she does not support law enforcement.”

That is from the horses mouth. Of course, it is a sentiment not shared within the city:

In response, Ella Moore, president of the Miami Community Police Benevolent Association, wrote a scathing open letter to the city in regards to Ortiz.

The MCPBA response to FOP President @wsvn @WPLGLocal10 @CBS4Weather @nbc6 @NationalBPA @MiamiNewTimes @MiamiHerald pic.twitter.com/MKFHKIiFV6
— MCPBA1946 (@mcpba1946) February 19, 2016

“I implore the City’s leadership to do whatever is necessary to put a stop to Mr. Ortiz’s antics,” she wrote. “Javier Ortiz can no longer be allowed free and unfettered license to destroy the reputation of one of the finest law enforcement agencies in the nation. This is another embarrassment to the City of Miami.”

Hopefully our former police chief can clean up house and help the Miami police develop some self respect and standards of professionalism under this Federal monitoring program.

Dont slander my city's cops, they are great bunch compared to many in Florida.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   

If she is so "brave" to denounce them then she should certaintly not want them to protect her.

"Should"

You dont make a video clip and show like that and then expect these people to protect you.

edit on America/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoFri, 19 Feb 2016 12:22:21 -06001620162America/Chicago by everyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

They get a slice, in the form of taxes from the event.

Puffy pants tax too

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: cenpuppie

You call that pro black? My black father called it idiocy, which is exactly what it is and the effects of it are showing right now. Maybe this learns her a lesson.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

"Tampa police refusing to work sold out Beyoncé stadium show"

I've been over her for a long time, so I haven't really followed this.

But, how is it OK to have a protest show at the Super Bowl?

"What about the children"
couldn't resist.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: UnBreakable

"Tampa police refusing to work sold out Beyoncé stadium show"

I've been over her for a long time, so I haven't really followed this.

But, how is it OK to have a protest show at the Super Bowl?

"What about the children"
couldn't resist.

I had to star you for that, Annee. That is exactly what it was: a protest disguised as art. Some of us saw right through it, didn't we?

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

I think it is more about personal safety when she gets the crowd excited and all those targets in blue are standing there.

No, cops around the country have been butt hurt since the Super Bowl half-time show. FOP heads and the like have been calling for a boycott of Beyonce, there was a protest outside of the NFL headquarters etc.

She can afford private security as she is hosing her fans out of many bucks to see her jiggle about in person.

The promoter/venue pays for the cost of security whether or not that security includes off duty cops. So that's not really an issue.

If she does incite violence with her lyrics, will she be held responsible?

Setting aside the fact that unless she actually told people to kill cops, she wouldn't be inciting anything (this is well tread ground, not least of which when NWA released 'F*** Tha Police'), there are no actual anti-cop lyrics in the song (entitled 'Formation').

What they were pissed about:

1. Imagery in the video including Beyonce on top of a cop car that is in water up to the doors in what is supposed to be Katrina flooded New Orleans and a young black kid dancing in front of a line of cops in riot gear briefly with graffiti on the wall that says, "Please stop shooting us."

2. Her dancers in the half-time show were wearing black berets which is seen as a nod to militants, specifically in this case, the original Black Panthers.

This is all in the context of a song where she says "negro" 2-3 times.

It's not about personal security.

Tennessee Sheriff Blames Beyoncé's Super Bowl Halftime Show for Shootings

During a news conference about the incident Tuesday, Arnold floated the possibility that Beyoncé's politically charged performances of late may have instigated the shooter in a time when police shootings across the country are closely watched.

"With everything that's happened since the Super Bowl, and with law enforcement as a whole. I think we've lost five to seven officers, five deputies, sheriffs since the Super Bowl," Arnold told reporters. "Here's another target on law enforcement."

Like I said, it's the literal "PC Police" in action.
edit on 2016-2-19 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

I guess this is a case where your reap what you sow. She performed her anti-cop show at the SB, now there not signing up right away to do her show.

That goes both ways. When those we hire to protect and serve the people start acting more like a protection racket, more concerned with protecting cops who kill as a first resort, they too reap what they sow. Throughout this public debate, I've heard a whole lot of concern for protecting LEOs from all us awful scary people on the streets, but I have never heard LEOs express the same concern for protecting OUR lives -- which is their job.

From another source:

“The fact that Beyoncé used this year’s Super Bowl to divide Americans by promoting the Black Panthers and her antipolice message shows how she does not support law enforcement,” Javier Ortiz, president of the Miami Fraternal Order of Police, said in a statement issued Thursday.

There is a very big difference between "not support[ing] law enforcement" and protesting unjustified and unnecessary deaths at the hands of police. The fact that the Fraternal Order of Police cannot and does not make that distinction, is very chilling. As is the fact that he is making it clear they will protect (and kill) who they choose... and expect to do so with impunity. Or else.

Abuse of force by law enforcement at every level has reached the point that even politically diametrically opposed groups are finding common ground and fighting the same fight against out-of-control trigger happy law enforcement.

BLM Sides with sides with 'LaVoy' Finicum allies against Oregon bill

Every person in this country has good reason to fear for their life in any encounter with law enforcement. Even those of us who have and have had very good relations and interactions with LEOs. For want of a better way of saying it, we have the utmost respect and gratitude for good cops.... bad cops not so much. But we can't tell a "good" cop from a "bad" cop until it's too late. People have to now assume the worst about LEOs because they already assume the worst about us, and they have the guns. More important, we're not doing our LEOs any favors by turning good, honorable and brave men/women into thugs with badges. For mentally and emotionally healthy people, taking a life is a traumatic experience with long-term repercussions. Perhaps most important of all, we are doing our LEOs a great disservice to deny them the defensive training and equipment that would protect and preserve their lives, so that they would not need to feel their lives were in danger so often, and thus protecting our lives as well.

We reap what we sow. For better AND worse.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswordsThat is exactly what it was: a protest disguised as art. Some of us saw right through it, didn't we?

A protest disguised as art? What does that even mean? A lot of art is protest.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Good... You talk sh*t about LEO's and then you expect them to keep you safe at your concert? Nope... Beyonce, Kanye, Kardashians, and Martin Shkreli all need to fly somewhere together.. I'm convinced God will handle the rest...

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

What an ignorant comment to make. Her taxes don't support the Tampa Bay PD unless she lives there.

And furthermore, cops that work these venues as security get paid extra, and they're not in their official duty capacity, so as it's not a part of their normal duties and is completely voluntary, again, your comment is asinine.

But to be fair, I'm sure that her tax accountant(s) do everything that she can to pay as little an amount of taxes as legally possible.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

Good... You talk sh*t about LEO's and then you expect them to keep you safe at your concert? Nope... Beyonce, Kanye, Kardashians, and Martin Shkreli all need to fly somewhere together.. I'm convinced God will handle the rest...

Right? It's like Kanye West expecting George W. Bush to show up at one of his parties.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I don't think that would be much of a surprise, GW has a history of not showing up.

originally posted by: jhn7537

What do those people have in common exactly and why on Earth are you convinced that if God exists, he's on the side of you, the police or anyone else?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join