It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tampa Police refusing to provide security to Beyonce show

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: hangedman13
a reply to: Boadicea

You run under a misconception that police are around to protect lives. No they do not. They exist for the "public good". Which means they are not required to protect anyone! There is nothing that legally requires them to protect an individual, see that is the devil in the detail. The public is not any individual and many people operate under the notion that the cops are there to protect them. What is the public good and what is good for the individual are two different things.

No misconceptions. Not to belabor the point, but we have law enforcement to get the bad guys who would harm us and get them off the streets so that they don't harm again. True, it's only after a crime is committed and the harm is done that we know they are bad guys. However, the process serves to protect us -- a big part of that greater good.

More to the point, regardless of how we define their purposes, we both know it is NOT to bully and abuse and kill the public. And even one is too many.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: everyone

i call that pro black panther. just because your dad is black it doesnt add more weight or credulence to his views. if you have to question the effects of showing it then that question answers itself. i find it quite tragic people aren't able to seperate anti police brutality from anti-police.

which is quite funny because no one turned out for that supposed protest and the nfl itself hasnt said much if anything.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
The latest update to this story is it is not true and they have plenty of sign ups. It appears it was a few that made the story into more than it was. Even the Union says it will be fully staffed. Cops I know in Tampa could give a crap about who or what the pull extra duty for. It is all about the extra money.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Okay...
1. Cops get OT for doing private events and she will most likely pay them.
2. If Cops won't do it she can get private security.

What exactly is the problem here?

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I thought all the PC crowd would be happy about this. She hurt their feelings, so they are going to stay in their safe place and she can hire her own security.
Karma's a bitch innit?

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subnatural
Must be a weird feeling, serving and protecting people you don't like or respect, even.

I think that's called "Wednesday".

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist
a reply to: UnBreakable

Thats confusing, because:

Tampa police: There is no Beyonce concert boycott, officers are signing up

TBO.com staff
Published: February 19, 2016
Updated: February 19, 2016 at 11:45 AM

The police union boss in Tampa may not be a big Beyonce fan these days, but local law agencies on Friday insist plenty of officers and deputies will be working off-duty security for her April 29 in Tampa.

There’s no boycott, contrary to some recent media reports — based on “inaccuracies,” Tampa police said — after Tampa Police Benevolent Association president Vinny Gercitano, in a Facebook post, expressed disgust with the “anti-police message” in Beyonce’s recent Super Bowl performance and new “Formation” video.

Gercitano urged officers to not purchase Beyonce’s music or tickets to her concerts, and supported any member who choose not to work the extra duty at the April 29 show. However, he never called for a security boycott of the show at Raymond James Stadium.

Nevertheless, the Tampa Police Department has responded to the criticism on social media, trying to clear up any controversy.

What?! @TampaPD officers have been in #formation for days signing up to keep the #Beehive safe! #Truth #Fact pic.twitter.com/5skrSDNHNS
— TampaPD (@TampaPD) February 18, 2016

“ The bottom line — the event will be staffed with police officers. It is unfortunate that this has been taken to the level that it has,” the department wrote on Facebook.

“There are people signed up to work the event, and it isn’t uncommon for events not to be filled two months prior to the actual date,” the agency wrote. “In addition, individual police officers do have a right to an opinion just like the rest of the world, and they also have the right not to volunteer to work for an event on their off time.”

Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Cristal Nunez concurred, saying among deputies there was no boycott “that we know of, but we’re still two months out from the concert date.”

I respect my cities police because I know for a fact they are very strict professionals, and they do not put up with the crap that goes on in other municipalities like Miami. In fact...

Tampa’s Jane Castor to monitor Miami police as part of federal settlement
TAMPA — Retired Tampa Police Chief Jane Castor has been chosen to monitor a four-year program overseeing the Miami Police Department as part of a proposed settlement with the U.S. Department of Justice.

The settlement was struck in 2011 following a federal investigation into 33 police shootings, according to a story in the Miami Herald.

This story should be about:

Miami police union prez: Cops won’t work off-duty at Beyoncé show
Miami’s police union members have voted to boycott Beyoncé’s concert at Marlins Park in April because of her Super Bowl performance and the release of a video that pays homage to the Black Panthers.

In a letter urging other police agencies across the country to take a similar stance, Fraternal Order of Police President Javier Ortiz accused the pop icon used this year’s Super Bowl “to divide Americans by promoting the Black Panthers and her anti-police message shows how she does not support law enforcement.”

That is from the horses mouth. Of course, it is a sentiment not shared within the city:

In response, Ella Moore, president of the Miami Community Police Benevolent Association, wrote a scathing open letter to the city in regards to Ortiz.

The MCPBA response to FOP President @wsvn @WPLGLocal10 @CBS4Weather @nbc6 @NationalBPA @MiamiNewTimes @MiamiHerald pic.twitter.com/MKFHKIiFV6
— MCPBA1946 (@mcpba1946) February 19, 2016

“I implore the City’s leadership to do whatever is necessary to put a stop to Mr. Ortiz’s antics,” she wrote. “Javier Ortiz can no longer be allowed free and unfettered license to destroy the reputation of one of the finest law enforcement agencies in the nation. This is another embarrassment to the City of Miami.”

Hopefully our former police chief can clean up house and help the Miami police develop some self respect and standards of professionalism under this Federal monitoring program.

Dont slander my city's cops, they are great bunch compared to many in Florida.

This comment warranted more attention but wasn't given it due to wanting to called out the "other side" in hypocrisy instead.
Interesting how the media who supports divide and conquer trumps over truth initially.
Working as intended. Bumping this up.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
Wow, the LITERAL PC POLICE.

Funny how some of you are always blabbering incessantly about the First Amendment when it comes to denouncing the evils of "political correctness" or when something happens like a police commissioner is caught dropping racial epithets about the President in a restaurant but let a black entertainer express an opinion through her art that conflicts with your politics and you're all "reap what you sow."

Like you said, free speech.

It's a 2 way street.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 01:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: DrakeINFERNO

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

So she should stop paying her taxes?

Sure .. with the reaction of paying fines and going to jail. I love the idea.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

yea, for anyone who missed it (or ignored it), ill re post in its entirety again.

originally posted by: AmericanRealist

Thats confusing, because:

Tampa police: There is no Beyonce concert boycott, officers are signing up

TBO.com staff
Published: February 19, 2016
Updated: February 19, 2016 at 11:45 AM

The police union boss in Tampa may not be a big Beyonce fan these days, but local law agencies on Friday insist plenty of officers and deputies will be working off-duty security for her April 29 in Tampa.

There’s no boycott, contrary to some recent media reports — based on “inaccuracies,” Tampa police said — after Tampa Police Benevolent Association president Vinny Gercitano, in a Facebook post, expressed disgust with the “anti-police message” in Beyonce’s recent Super Bowl performance and new “Formation” video.

Gercitano urged officers to not purchase Beyonce’s music or tickets to her concerts, and supported any member who choose not to work the extra duty at the April 29 show. However, he never called for a security boycott of the show at Raymond James Stadium.

Nevertheless, the Tampa Police Department has responded to the criticism on social media, trying to clear up any controversy.

What?! @TampaPD officers have been in #formation for days signing up to keep the #Beehive safe! #Truth #Fact pic.twitter.com/5skrSDNHNS
— TampaPD (@TampaPD) February 18, 2016

“ The bottom line — the event will be staffed with police officers. It is unfortunate that this has been taken to the level that it has,” the department wrote on Facebook.

“There are people signed up to work the event, and it isn’t uncommon for events not to be filled two months prior to the actual date,” the agency wrote. “In addition, individual police officers do have a right to an opinion just like the rest of the world, and they also have the right not to volunteer to work for an event on their off time.”

Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Cristal Nunez concurred, saying among deputies there was no boycott “that we know of, but we’re still two months out from the concert date.”

I respect my cities police because I know for a fact they are very strict professionals, and they do not put up with the crap that goes on in other municipalities like Miami. In fact...

Tampa’s Jane Castor to monitor Miami police as part of federal settlement
TAMPA — Retired Tampa Police Chief Jane Castor has been chosen to monitor a four-year program overseeing the Miami Police Department as part of a proposed settlement with the U.S. Department of Justice.

The settlement was struck in 2011 following a federal investigation into 33 police shootings, according to a story in the Miami Herald.

This story should be about:

Miami police union prez: Cops won’t work off-duty at Beyoncé show
Miami’s police union members have voted to boycott Beyoncé’s concert at Marlins Park in April because of her Super Bowl performance and the release of a video that pays homage to the Black Panthers.

In a letter urging other police agencies across the country to take a similar stance, Fraternal Order of Police President Javier Ortiz accused the pop icon used this year’s Super Bowl “to divide Americans by promoting the Black Panthers and her anti-police message shows how she does not support law enforcement.”

That is from the horses mouth. Of course, it is a sentiment not shared within the city:

In response, Ella Moore, president of the Miami Community Police Benevolent Association, wrote a scathing open letter to the city in regards to Ortiz.

The MCPBA response to FOP President @wsvn @WPLGLocal10 @CBS4Weather @nbc6 @NationalBPA @MiamiNewTimes @MiamiHerald pic.twitter.com/MKFHKIiFV6
— MCPBA1946 (@mcpba1946) February 19, 2016

“I implore the City’s leadership to do whatever is necessary to put a stop to Mr. Ortiz’s antics,” she wrote. “Javier Ortiz can no longer be allowed free and unfettered license to destroy the reputation of one of the finest law enforcement agencies in the nation. This is another embarrassment to the City of Miami.”

Hopefully our former police chief can clean up house and help the Miami police develop some self respect and standards of professionalism under this Federal monitoring program.

Dont slander my city's cops, they are great bunch compared to many in Florida.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   

I'm glad. She dressed up as a Panther at the super bowl and that wasn't considered racist. Good luck if a white person wears white on stage.

She went a bit too far with her act. She's also made the whole movement look even more ignorant than it was in the first place.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
a reply to: Shamrock6

I think Kevin Gates really tells it how it is.

He says when he spoke with respect he never had a problem after he changed the way he conducted himself.

Love how the host keeps trying be like YEAAAAAAH BUT; you can see Gates restraining himself lol

"I fit the description, when I changed myself I had no more problems." "It's the way you conduct yourself with authority."
"All Lives Matter" Host gets upset lol
"If you want to be right I'll agree with you" HAHAHA.

That was a excellent video ty for that one.

And i have to agree, everytime and he said something in the vain of ALM instead of BLM and especially the first time he made it clear that police brutality is not always police brutality but a consequence of your own behaviour she was like "okaay..." You could hear in the intonation in her voice annd you could hear her thinking "Im not liking this ,why u not on my saide!" That was hilarious but also sad because this is the sort of behaviour which creates problems that dont have to exist or dont have to ba as bad as they want it depecited. Which is basicly what is going on , these sort of people shout the loudest that the problem is bad and should go away but are the front runners of creating more of it.

This was a lot like that interview of judge Judy where the female interviewer casually and 100% sure of herself "well, we are both feminists so what do you think of...." to which judge Judy immediately responded with "I am not a feminist." ...dead silence followed for 2 seconds. After whcihc she was constantly trying to wrap anything judge Judy said around her own feminist rethoric, much like what we saw in this video you posted. Those sort of things are gold to me really. The hypocrasy being blown out in full view for everyone to see.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

First off, in my OP, if you bothered to read the whole thing, I say no one signed up "right away" meaning that I wasn't saying it wouldn't be filled sometime in the future. And from your own source: "Gercitano urged officers to not purchase Beyonce’s music or tickets to her concerts, and supported any member who choose not to work the extra duty at the April 29 show. However, he never called for a security boycott of the show at Raymond James Stadium". It does appear that there is support for any officer who does not choose to work the show. Some guys need the extra money because a cop's pay is not nearly enough for what they do. And you talk about slandering your city's cops. It wasn't slander, if nothing else, I was voicing my support and so was the gist of the original article.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
What you seem to be ignoring is the fact that law enforcement officers are sworn to uphold our laws and protect our rights and are uniquely empowered to do so. In fact, the purpose of the First Amendment IS to protect us from retaliation by public servants who hold legal authority over others.

Whoa...you put "you" in bold. You must really mean this.

But here's the reality of law enforcement: They exist to aid in enforcing the laws that are created by legislative bodies. What they are not in existence to do is--as you claim--uphold our laws and protect our rights. That is the role of the judicial system, and while LEOs play a front-line role in that sometimes, they are not lawyers and they are not judges and they are not juries and they are not appellate courts. In fact, they're not even technically a part of the judicial (court) system.

LEOs react to situations where laws are violated (or perceived to be violated). They don't uphold laws nor do they protect our rights--the judicial system does that. Last time I checked, law enforcement was part of the executive side of things. Yes, they work together--no, they are not the same thing.

That's why I find it concerning to see retaliation from people acting not simply as citizens but specifically as citizens who are also law enforcement officers. Not volunteering to do security for a concert is one thing but if these men and women can't set aside their personal feelings while performing their sworn duties, then it's a very serious problem indeed and if there is any indication that this might be the case, then I feel completely justified in my concern.

But your concern is not justified--as I pointed out before (and as is stated in the linked article in the OP), this IS a voluntary job, and they would get paid separately to do it apart from their regular LEO duties. I can guarantee, though, that the LEOs would still protect and serve Beyoncé just like anyone else if the need arises in their regular duty hours...even if they personally didn't want to.

BTW, your pig reference was really bad. That hasn't been funny since...well...

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Yeah, we probably do agree more than our differing statements would indicate, but I just can't handle the hyperbole when people say things like we must assume that all LEOs should be feared because of the statistically tiny amount of terrible LEOs.

I don't expect much from Beyoncé, either--honestly, I don't see her appeal. I expect a lot from our law enforcement, though, just like you. But what I don't expect is for them to constantly absorb the negativity thrown at them on a near daily basis and just smile and ignore it. At some point, they must take a stand for themselves, both as individuals and as a community of LEOs.

I agree with their actions on this one.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   

She's got the money to pay for her own small army of security,if she doesn't,her husband has. Why must the taxpayer foot the bill to pay for her to safely perform her drivellous nonsense?

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   

double post
edit on 20-2-2016 by Raxoxane because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: DrakeINFERNO

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

So she should stop paying her taxes?

Private event, not public.. they (the police) have no responsibility to be there in the first place, it's not in their job description and most only do it to get some extra cash.

MystikMushroom

I suppose if this was an overtime, voluntary assignment for the police then it might make sense. They don't have an obligation to public safety when its some kind of voluntary thing.

If you had bothered to read the article or even the Op you would already know that it IS voluntary and not a requirement of their daily job.

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
OMG a black artist has music about police officers! I can't imagine any other artists doing that! Oh wait...Is it because she sang it at the Super Bowl? And it pissed off a bunch of god fearing football loving southern folks. Because there's this style of music that's been out for a while called Hip Hop and they are far more critical and sometimes out right against police officers, I still see their shows filled with cops though. Pretty sure this is just an irrational reaction to a famous black woman. Had it been Chris Stapleton up there on superbowl night saying something about cops, pretty sure we would've all been ok with it.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join