It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Marshals Are Arresting People For Not Paying Student Loans

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: Discotech

Its still a scam as most the degrees in the UK are not worth the paper its printed on.

Unless its a Bsc your degrees prettu much useless.

The government funneled millions of kids through university who should never have been there.

Of course they did. Labour got the ball rolling by encouraging school children to aim higher. It then became an aspiration for children from families that would never have even thought about University previously, to attain this.

A few years later and they introduced University fees, because it was all becoming a little too much for the taxpayers; we had wars to pay for. Not too much, more of a contribution if you don't mind.

Then the coalition seized power and oh look, lots of money to be made. Let's put these kids into at least £40,000 worth of debt, absolute minimum, with the banks and keep them needing to work for the rest of their lives.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I don't have an issue where you have to work hard to earn a degree at all. In fact, if you cannot afford private education, then taking out a loan is also not a bad idea...but you have to work hard to pay it off...FAST!

The problem? All the jobs are going to Mexico, China, India, etc....so when you expect to get a job out of grad, there is nothing for you. So this is one big lie...get a degree, get a job? Not happening...no wonder people cannot pay off their compounding interest loans!
Such a shame....

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
a reply to: jhn7537

I'm screwed by student loans and bad mistakes, I don't want others to suffer the same fate as I did. Sorry your so selfish you'd rather more generations screwed over like us. Is like a black man being against slavery being abolished cause it would mean his descendants didn't have to be slaves like he was.

Abolish student loans.

There problem solved.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Well to begin with the Government should know better than to use private debt collectors because they are notorious for doing deplorable things to get money. In this case they go to a Federal Court and get them people served and since it is Federal, it falls to the Marshals. If this is the way the Government wanted to handle this they could have done it themselves and cut out the middle man. I have a feeling this will be the end of that practice and whomever suggested privatizing student loan debt collection will be out of a job.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
I have a feeling this will be the end of that practice and whomever suggested privatizing student loan debt collection will be out of a job.

HA! Things don't work that way in the government. If anything, he'll be promoted.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011
I don't have an issue where you have to work hard to earn a degree at all. In fact, if you cannot afford private education, then taking out a loan is also not a bad idea...but you have to work hard to pay it off...FAST!

The problem? All the jobs are going to Mexico, China, India, etc....so when you expect to get a job out of grad, there is nothing for you. So this is one big lie...get a degree, get a job? Not happening...no wonder people cannot pay off their compounding interest loans!
Such a shame....

Where I think Colleges need to be better is understanding the current job market for their current students, and directing them to the likeliest area for gaining employment, and ultimate ROI on your degree. It's highway robbery to allow these kids to pay $30-60k each year for degrees that aren't in any demand today, because that's not setting them up for success..

Colleges and students should have some joint partnership. Meaning, if a university takes you on and educates you, they should stand behind you until you gain employment. In that case, you would see less schools allowing students to take BS majors that have zero need in today's job market

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Do deadbeats belong in jails because that's less expensive to society?

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

Its still a scam as most the degrees in the UK are not worth the paper its printed on.

The government funneled millions of kids through university who should never have been there.

Of course they did. Labour got the ball rolling by encouraging school children to aim higher. It then became an aspiration for children from families that would never have even thought about University previously, to attain this.

A few years later and they introduced University fees, because it was all becoming a little too much for the taxpayers; we had wars to pay for. Not too much, more of a contribution if you don't mind.

Then the coalition seized power and oh look, lots of money to be made. Let's put these kids into at least £40,000 worth of debt, absolute minimum, with the banks and keep them needing to work for the rest of their lives.

O drop the libral twaddle.

Labour #ed up.

Yes its all good aiming higher. But its no dammed good if aiming "higher" is sending every kid regardless of ability to get useless degrees in art nonsense that has little to no employment value.

Labour would have been better offering a number of places free for science students who meet certain ability standards and then sent the rest to get vocational qualifications that better suited there abilities and been useful to them.

Not everyone is suited to university.

University should be for the best and brightest.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Problem is according to like a lot of people if you don't have a degree you don't deserve enough to live.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
The guy was arrested for not showing up to court as instructed. Yes, his case was about his unpaid student loan, but it is a bit of a stretch to say that is why he was arrested.

Unlike cars, homes, and other physical assets, you cannot take back someone's education hence why it is nearly impossible to discharge student loan debt. If you could discharge the debt easily, then many would graduate and then immediately default on the debt.

The government needs to get out of student loans altogether. The easiest way to reduce the cost of college is to make it more difficult to get student loans. Much like healthcare, college costs are unaffordable because we've created this system in which the consumer is no longer constrained by normal market forces and price transparency.

It doesn't matter if your third tier community college degree in art history is worthless, you can just get a student loan to pay for it hence why they can get away with charging the same price for tuition as Harvard.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Exactly... Once everyone has a degree, do you think those same people will still be filling the open positions at McDonald's, your local gas stations, grocery stores, etc?? Everyone will demand even more money, better jobs, and before you know it, the College degree will be no more than the equivalent of your High school/GED degree now...

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I have a feeling this will be the end of that practice and whomever suggested privatizing student loan debt collection will be out of a job.

HA! Things don't work that way in the government. If anything, he'll be promoted.

When you get a public outcry is normally the only time you will see things happen the right way. They will need a scapegoat and you can bet it will the person with the idea and not his superiors would agreed and authorized it. Crap roles down hill.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Don't get me wrong, is America on crack? This is ridiculous!

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Greetings- I remember getting a reply in a thread from You after I made mention of the "Private Prisons" if memory serves You mentioned that Private Prisons only account for 10% of the prison population. Enough to make $3B so if the P.P. lobby wanted to shoot for $4B next year they'll either need to increase booking and bed fees and get more bodies to fill the beds, print the license plates and stitch the "prison denim" which seems to be popular in some cultures.

The Urban male that got caught up in the "Crack War" are just now getting out after doing their 20-25 year bits because they made more $$ then "The Man" Now that coc aine has been replaced by Heroin and Heroin replaced the over-prescribed pain medicine how else does one explain Afghanistan going from producing 7% of the world's opium to 86%+ all during a war. Maybe We can find an article in 'Good Home & Garden' that explains to get the best out of Your homegrown florals try throwing a grenade or run a tank over the plot, if it works for opium poppies it has to work for Aunt Gladys' Petunias..

It would be interesting to see where these folks get housed OR if/when they do get arrested and incarcerated will the "Americans in Waiting/Immigrants" take their jobs at a lower paying wage? I'll climb out on a limb and type "BOTH"

namaste

P.S. Please don't misconstrue this as a "challenge" but if You can remember the thread, that was My point.. Many I wouldn't dare type them something like this as it may be construed as challenging, but I'm confident You can accept this as a continuance of a discussion.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Problem is according to like a lot of people if you don't have a degree you don't deserve enough to live.

There are plenty of trade jobs one can learn that pay a hell of a lot.

Get the RIGHT degree or learn a trade skill.

I have never meet a hungry plumber.
edit on 16-2-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Wait for it, the mental gymnastics are going to go into overdrive to point out that you shouldn't exist at all if you can't afford college, and that too many students are devaluing college degrees, therefore they shouldn't bother going to college in the first place. And screw 'em, because stupid poor people in minimum wage jobs = leeches.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Labour #ed up.

Yes its all good aiming higher. But its no dammed good if aiming "higher" is sending every kid regardless of ability to get useless degrees in art nonsense that has little to no employment value.

Labour would have been better offering a number of places free for science students who meet certain ability standards and then sent the rest to get vocational qualifications that better suited there abilities and been useful to them.

Sorry, I have just re-read my post and to be honest, I am lost as to your reply. What Liberal twaddle?

I have stated that Labour started it with the aim higher strap line. The coalition turned it into a ball and chain.

I am fully aware of the fact many of the degrees are useless, that's the problem. It doesn't guarantee you an increased chance in the work place, but you are now owned by the banks.

So before you spout off about me talking Liberal twaddle, actually read what I wrote in the post and not what you think I've wrote.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

When you get a public outcry is normally the only time you will see things happen the right way. They will need a scapegoat and you can bet it will the person with the idea and not his superiors would agreed and authorized it. Crap roles down hill.

True enough. I hope you are right. I hate the way student loans are handled these days and I don't even have any.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

Good. People shouldn't pay for forced legal gambling which is what college is.

College should be free because it's beneficial to society to have an educated populace.

Jobs CAN hire people based on skill and ability without requiring they have put themselves in thousands of dollars in debt first. They just don't want to cause they enjoy the indentured servitude created by student loan debt.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Labour #ed up.

Sorry, I have just re-read my post and to be honest, I am lost as to your reply. What Liberal twaddle?

I have stated that Labour started it with the aim higher strap line. The coalition turned it into a ball and chain.

I am fully aware of the fact many of the degrees are useless, that's the problem. It doesn't guarantee you an increased chance in the work place, but you are now owned by the banks.

So before you spout off about me talking Liberal twaddle, actually read what I wrote in the post and not what you think I've wrote.

My mistake.

I must have missed something over the internet.

My apologies

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join