It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Marshals Are Arresting People For Not Paying Student Loans

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
What law authorizes arrest for nonpayment of student loans? I have skimmed through this thread and did not find any discussion of the authority under which U.S. Marshalls, or any law enforcement agency, may arrest someone for nonpayment of a student loan debt.

If no law authorizes these arrests, then the U.S. Marshall's Service is committing a crime and violating these student loan debtors' civil and constitutional rights.

I understand that after a student loan creditor files a lawsuit and obtains a judgment the creditor can pursue collection through judgment debtor examination, wage garnishment, bank account garnishment, and levy against personal property and real property, but arrest and detention are not among the available remedies except in the case of a judgment debtor's failure to appear for a court-ordered judgment debtor examination.

I am aware that some of the foregoing remedies may be available to collect federal student loans even in the absence of a judgment having been entered.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

originally posted by: jhn7537
Because its relatively impossible to live off an art degree, which makes the degree useless...

That's just not true.

There's relatively high demand for trained artists, designers, and other positions where a degree in art is essential. The film, advertising, TV, consumer goods, automotive, and a broad range of industries need people with training in creative arts.

In fact, some of the highest-paying jobs in the "new economy" of digital are art/creative related, now that code-development is at near-commodity levels.

Imagine life without the artists?

Where do you think some of the greatest collaborations have come together? Universities that's where.

Altough lots were formed in middle/working class kitchens.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

I don't think he understands that people with art degrees make the movies he watches. Star Wars comes to mind.

There are far more people who want jobs in those fields than there are positions. This is why entertainment as a whole tends to pay poorly at the lowest levels. Fashion, music, movies, video games, etc. Yes, you can go to school to focus in these industries, but the reality is that very few will get the opportunity to work in them.

Some of the most successful people I know in those fields have completely unrelated degrees or had other connections that got their foot in the door.

link   
a reply to: Rabb420
Forget the worthless piece of paper. Learn a marketable skill.

Even the professionals need mechanics, carpenters, electricians, plumbers, ect..

Find a good trade or vocational school, or a place where you can work as an apprentice.

edit on 16-2-2016 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Clean up.

link   

a reply to: jhn7537

He wants to make public colleges free, you know like high school and elementary school. Are HS diplomas devalued because everyone has one? You can still pay top dollar for any and all private schools under his plan.

Free public college, what a terrible idea... All schools should be private and cost a ridiculous amount of money. First graders texts books should cost over $100 and upwards to $300 while new editions are published yearly.

If I'm not mistaken, my parents paid my K-12 public schools each year that I attended, on top of the property taxes that went towards the school districts. Free public college is a terrible idea. Why not just make everything free? Can I get groceries free too? How about gas? Where I live can be free too! Lets make everything free, free for everyone!! Free is so great, aint it!

Free is stupid, without a realistic plan in place. Bernie's plan is beyond ridiculous, and if you think he's going to get into office and begin all these new taxes and social programs in a 4 year stretch, then you're smoking something good, which in that case, pass it my way...

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

Because its relatively impossible to live off an art degree, which makes the degree useless...

That's just not true.

There's relatively high demand for trained artists, designers, and other positions where a degree in art is essential. The film, advertising, TV, consumer goods, automotive, and a broad range of industries need people with training in creative arts.

In fact, some of the highest-paying jobs in the "new economy" of digital are art/creative related, now that code-development is at near-commodity levels.

Imagine life without the artists?

Where do you think some of the greatest collaborations have come together? Universities that's where.

Altough lots were formed in middle/working class kitchens.

But thats the thing.

Even if people had to pay for there arts degrees art would still go on.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Oh yeah, who wouldn't want to work in the entertainment field? It's a great goal to shoot for but you're right, I too know people with art degrees. Some are teachers and others job has nothing to do with art but because they have a college degree they qualify for these positions. How many people do we know who have a degree that has nothing to do with their career?

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

I don't think he understands that people with art degrees make the movies he watches. Star Wars comes to mind.

I never said abolish art degrees.

Just not make them free on the tax payer.
edit on 16-2-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

To be honest the whole education is a joke

These 2 images pretty much sum up the education system

edit on 16/2/16 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

What Bernie is talking about is nationalizing higher education.

"The most erroneous assumption is to the effect that the aim of public education is to fill the young of the species with knowledge and awaken their intelligence, and so make them fit to discharge the duties of citizenship in an enlightened and independent manner. Nothing could be further from the truth. The aim of public education is not to spread enlightenment at all; it is simply to reduce as many individuals as possible to the same safe level, to breed and train a standardized citizenry, to put down dissent and originality. That is its aim in the United States, whatever the pretensions of politicians, pedagogues and other such mountebanks, and that is its aim everywhere else."

-H.L. Mencken

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Did the gov cause the rise in the prices? Or did the schools see they were going to get paid so they raised them?

Totally agree that the current state of things is deplorable and not saying our gov has no hand in it, but I think we are letting the guys in charge of the schools that saw ways to make a bunch of money off the hook a bit.

Also agree with crazyewok here, we shouldn't pay for every degree, but ones that are worth while outside.
Another thing I would like to see is, if you flunk out then you have to pay back. Not saying every kid needs to get a 4.0, but if you go and take up a seat and just don't care you owe back some money.
Was talking to a guy that was from Switzerland IIRC and that is part of how they do it. What you owe at the end is based on how well you did.
edit on thTue, 16 Feb 2016 15:59:29 -0600America/Chicago220162980 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: dubiousone
What law authorizes arrest for nonpayment of student loans? I have skimmed through this thread and did not find any discussion of the authority under which U.S. Marshalls, or any law enforcement agency, may arrest someone for nonpayment of a student loan debt.

If no law authorizes these arrests, then the U.S. Marshall's Service is committing a crime and violating these student loan debtors' civil and constitutional rights.

I understand that after a student loan creditor files a lawsuit and obtains a judgment the creditor can pursue collection through judgment debtor examination, wage garnishment, bank account garnishment, and levy against personal property and real property, but arrest and detention are not among the available remedies except in the case of a judgment debtor's failure to appear for a court-ordered judgment debtor examination.

I am aware that some of the foregoing remedies may be available to collect federal student loans even in the absence of a judgment having been entered.

You are exactly spot on! The US Marshalls arrested this man for failure to appear in court for the court ordered judgment debtor examination NOT for his debt owed. The media is blowing this up as always. Though, I will admit, I am amazed the government was unable to collect this money via refunds or garnishments?!

Edit add: The docket of the Us district court, southern district of Texas,  Winford Paul aker, was arrested for failure to appear in court as ordered. The docket also states that multiple requests were sent to him to appear before issuing this bench warrant for his arrest.
edit on 2 16 2016 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

If I'm not mistaken, my parents paid my K-12 public schools each year that I attended, on top of the property taxes that went towards the school districts.

All home owners pay for community services and schools, whether they have children or if they use the services.

I have no problems with my tax dollars going towards public advanced education. It would be one thing, at least, that I would be paying for that I don't use, that would be beneficial to all in the community.

Most colleges and universities have online classes with only a few times the student actually has to appear on the brick and mortar campuses. I think an advanced education can be provided for all that desire one, and can be provided at a workable cost.

Of course, those that can afford the Ivy League schools will continue to play that elitist game.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I also believe if this did in fact happen with public college being free, we will see those degrees being reduced to that of a HS diploma today. The private degrees will maintain where they are, which will lead more people to those schools, once they find out their free college degree aint worth squat, nor will it help you gain a better employment. Granted, you'll have a few exceptions along the way, but the majority won't be any closer to that american dream life they want. And even worse, you'll see people refusing to take less paying jobs, because they'll believe they're too overqualified with their free public degree..
edit on 16-2-2016 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

They're not!!

Well, so we're told. But of course they will be.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

There are far more people who want jobs in those fields than there are positions. This is why entertainment as a whole tends to pay poorly at the lowest levels. Fashion, music, movies, video games, etc. Yes, you can go to school to focus in these industries, but the reality is that very few will get the opportunity to work in them.

Some of the most successful people I know in those fields have completely unrelated degrees or had other connections that got their foot in the door.

And there's no evidence that so called STEM degrees would be any better. This particular myth is pervasive and difficult to quash.

The Myth of the Science and Engineering Shortage

A compelling body of research is now available, from many leading academic researchers and from respected research organizations such as the National Bureau of Economic Research, the RAND Corporation, and the Urban Institute. No one has been able to find any evidence indicating current widespread labor market shortages or hiring difficulties in science and engineering occupations that require bachelors degrees or higher, although some are forecasting high growth in occupations that require post-high school training but not a bachelors degree. All have concluded that U.S. higher education produces far more science and engineering graduates annually than there are S&E job openings—the only disagreement is whether it is 100 percent or 200 percent more. Were there to be a genuine shortage at present, there would be evidence of employers raising wage offers to attract the scientists and engineers they want. But the evidence points in the other direction: Most studies report that real wages in many—but not all—science and engineering occupations have been flat or slow-growing, and unemployment as high or higher than in many comparably-skilled occupations.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I also believe if this did in fact happen with public college being free, we will see those degrees being reduced to that of a HS diploma today. The private degrees will maintain where they are, which will lead more people to those schools, once they find out their free college degree aint worth squat, nor will it help you gain a better employment. Granted, you'll have a few exceptions along the way, but the majority won't be any closer to that american dream life they want. And even worse, you'll see people refusing to take less paying jobs, because they'll believe they're too overqualified with their free public degree..

There are already fairly significant differences in opportunity available between the Ivy League and it's peer schools vs lower tier / ranked schools. This division will likely be even greater once lower tier public schools become free and their degrees flood the market.

The trend I see happening is that some schools are going to start offering accelerated degrees at much lower costs. You can graduate in two years, but you get none of the "college experience" that a traditional four year degree offers.

I also see situations where the top employers may start hiring the best candidates without college degrees or not requiring them to finish. Paypal co-founder, Peter Theil basically offers a "scholarship" to students to drop out of college now and pursue their entrepreneurial dreams.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

The STEM market is being flooded by highly educated foreigners who also work cheaper. Many get their educations here in the US and then are hired as H1-bs. This is why the salaries are stagnating.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
a reply to: greencmp

The STEM market is being flooded by highly educated foreigners who also work cheaper. Many get their educations here in the US and then are hired as H1-bs. This is why the salaries are stagnating.

Same here.

I sold my buisness and went back to pharma .

25 out of 30 of my department are non british.
Most are from india, some from Europe and even a American.

Problem was 10 years ago there was a huge shortage so they hired people from abroad.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

"The taxpayer" already subsidizes big business. Why shouldn't this be changed to help educate future generations?

Government subsidized education already exists in the form of elementary/middle/high schools. Why not provide a continuation for those who PROVE that they have the desire and drive to continue on? Elimination of tuition for government subsidized courses of study doesn't mean that everyone gets to party for four years. It means that those that PROVE that they're serious about their education will have the opportunity without monetary obstacles. For the vast majority, I'd surmise that they'd be gated by educational transcripts from being accepted by participating colleges. Upon completion, new graduates would have the opportunity to enter the market and/or exercise their entrepreneurial spirit and immediately improve our nation, rather than spending their first 10 years slaving to pay off college debts.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join