It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Arabia and Turkey prepare for Syrian invasion, expect 'massive escalation'.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Hi folks Has anyone got a quick summary of the escalations please?

Thanks

Mr L

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

If those f-16 with Saudi pilots go against Russian Su 35's they will be looking for new aircraft and pilots. This is getting idiotic fast.

What a great time for the US to back out of allegiance with Turkey and Saudia Arabia and say well.....good luck.

Totally agree

Time to dump Saudis and Turks, they are Christian killers the pair of them, backed the ethnic cleansing of the ME of Christians.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

edit on 14-2-2016 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Turkey entered Syria territory on 13 Feb. with the first force of 100 men and 12 trucks with machine guns. According to FM of Syria quoted by Russian and other media. lenta.ru...
Zerohedge has the story www.zerohedge.com...
So it begins!

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: mr-lizard

Thanks

Mr L

Probably not up to the minute but if you're interested this is a Kurdish news service that goes into a lot of detail you don't see in other news sources:

rudaw.net...

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

Because they did not create them. Nobody did. I

A WikiLeaks released memo from the United States Secretary of State sent in 2009 asserted that the primary source of funding of Sunni terrorist groups worldwide was Saudi Arabia.[77]

en.wikipedia.org...

If nobodies name was Saudi Arabia then that would be correct.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
In the larger temporal picture, I imagine historians looking back on 9-11 and the U.S. response to it - including the Iraq invasion which, although only tangentially related, was a symptom of clear U.S. policy to "sweep it all up" as Rumsfeld put it - as the first match in a series of events which led to a decades long fire of intense conflict and chaotic power struggles in the ME.

Not that there wasn't already intense conflict there for decades, and not that the parties and sectarian forces involved don't have direct culpability for their own actions of course. But the rapid succession of revolutions, rebellions, crises, and massacres there since the power vacuum left in Iraq made the region even more of a free for all than it already was, has been insane. And a lot of the threats emerging from that widening gyre hold us directly responsible for it, rightly or wrongly.

"You break it you own it." Powell wasn't wrong. Unfortunately. And it didn't just apply to Iraq, in retrospect.

I hope this doesn't escalate further.

Peace.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: autopat51
i wonder if people over there carry a manual that they can thumb through
to keep track of who they are mad at and who is their friends?
i find it very hard to keep track of who is who sometimes.

The build-up to World War I was like that too. Countries formed and dissolved alliances willy-nilly. They were also assassinating each other all the time. Eventually the right person got killed at the right time to start a chain reaction.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: mr-lizard

Thanks

Mr L

After the last year of Saudi flooding the oil market. They just recently decided to go whole hog, and finally invade Syria to get more.

To replenish the cash reserves they blew.

Once Syria is 'stabilized' back to financing more terrorists around the globe.

That's my quick summary.
edit on 14-2-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

originally posted by: autopat51
i wonder if people over there carry a manual that they can thumb through
to keep track of who they are mad at and who is their friends?
i find it very hard to keep track of who is who sometimes.

Even just trying to keep track of the various Kurdish factions, there's Kurds against Turkey, and vice versa, there's Kurds that NATO is training (northern Iraq), and other Kurds that I haven't figured out yet, news media doesn't do a good job when we hear about various groups bombing, or getting bombed - they're mostly just calling them Kurds without telling us which of the half dozen factions.....

I'm not up to speed anymore but I read a report this morning that the Russians are working with and supplying the YPG via the central Iraqi government in Baghdad which makes no sense at all to me as the Peshmerga could never get the arms from Baghdad that they were entitled to. And how would Washington let the Russians get away with that? A number of months ago the report was that the U.S. was also allying with the YPG and having them do targeting for bombing. I know the YPG was involved in retaking Sinjar with U.S. air support.

It's just a giant cluster F and I guess I should go back and read the rest of this thread.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: AceWombat04

"You break it you own it." Powell wasn't wrong. Unfortunately. And it didn't just apply to Iraq, in retrospect.

I hope this doesn't escalate further.

Peace.

Powell and everyone else involved knew that taking out the Iraqi central government would (among other things) greatly exacerbate the Kurdish problem which as you say doesn't just apply to Iraq.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Reported on Jerusalem Postwww.jpost.com... too now...............

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DelMarvel

www.nationalpost.com.../news/canada/iraq-happy-with-canada-supporting-kurds-defence-minister

The Liberal government said this week it is beefing up military support for the Kurds in northern Iraq. That includes tripling the number of Canadian soldiers training Kurdish peshmerga forces, and providing them with rifles, machine guns, mortars and optical sights.

Confusing as to where this massive cluster#### is going....

Link not working. Might have to google cdns training Kurds -there's lots of the same article
edit on 14-2-2016 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

Different link
news.vice.com...

edit on 14-2-2016 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

So to oversimplify just one aspect of this we have Turkey, a NATO member, shelling and bombing Kurds who are allied with and supported by the U.S, another NATO member. With Kurds being the American coalition's most reliable ally on the ground against ISIS.

Totally screwed up situation even before Russia entered into the picture.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

Confusing as to where this massive cluster#### is going....

Part of the crisis is that Turkey is not going to allow a unified Syrian Kurdistan on their southern border controlled by the YPG and allied with the PKK.

And that's the direction things are going if the Kurds are getting air support from Russia and the U.S. and maybe ground support from the Assad regime. Unless Russia and Assad turn on the Kurds after exploiting them to their advantage.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: DelMarvel

So to oversimplify just one aspect of this we have Turkey, a NATO member, shelling and bombing Kurds who are allied with and supported by the U.S, another NATO member. With Kurds being the American coalition's most reliable ally on the ground against ISIS.

Your basic Obama/Clinton/Kerry foreign policy.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Fact is Turkey shouldn't even be in Nato.

I swear to 'allah' if they ever decide to add Saudi Arabia to Nato someday ?

There will be hell to pay.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

originally posted by: DelMarvel

Your basic Obama/Clinton/Kerry foreign policy.

I hear you, but what was the alternative? It wasn't that long ago that McCain and other Republicans were insisting we bomb Assad to create "safe havens" throughout Syria.

Who knows how that would have turned out? ISIS might be in Damascus by now.

One of the big problems here is that the Kurds want their own nation and a big chunk of that would be part of Turkey. That toothpaste came out of the tube in 2003.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Ya. This is getting bad...

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Good site to track whats happening in Syria

syria.liveuamap.com...

Latest news....

Unidentified Commandos/Infantry group is now fighting YPG militants along Syrian rebels around Azaz

Turkish warplanes struck Kurdish positions in #Syria for first time, drones being used to find targets for artillery

edit on 14-2-2016 by vandorius because: Added info

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join