It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Internet dark ages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I am in a love hate relationship with the internet now and days. I love that I can go online and search for any piece of information I want for free, but I truly hate to go into the "villages" and "cities" to talk to the locals. What am I referring to when I say villages and cities? I mean forums and social media sites. It just seems these places are filled to the brim with crazed idiotic witch hunters, just waiting to pounce on your comment trying to make themselves look smarter or you dumber by inserting some tedious or half truthed comment or just to call you g**. I just can't handle it anymore, and the one thing that probably makes it worse then the dark ages is that back then when you said something nasty to someone you had to say it to there face. So you thought it through a little more before deciding to say your back handed comment because it might have gotten you pummeled. I know I'm being a bit of a rebel rouser myself by posting this, standing in the street screaming at the masses, but I just feel the alchemists, witches, and crazed necromansers of ATS could actually sympathize and agree with how I feel.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: bigcountry08

But unlike bars, you don't get cut and bruised form pummeling on the internet. Let it flow off you like water off a ducks back. The hardest thing to do is walk away from a fight.

Trolls hate that.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   

I truly hate to go into the "villages" and "cities" to talk to the locals.

So why do you?

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   

See it for what it is. "Digital Ego". 90% of them wouldn't dare say to your face what they type. Call the bluff. They log in with a chip on their shoulder because arguing with someone online makes them feel good about themselves. Gives their mundane life meaning. Don't take the bait. Speak to everyone as you would face to face, and never mind the rest. Only online presence you should worry about is your own.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

Because there are some smart people in these places, and it's nice to get a quick concise answer from someone.

I think a lot of people underestimate the power of words in themselves. You have to be a very powerful individual to deflect the power of words. I mean one of the easiest ways to hurt someone with black magic is just by using words/intention.
edit on 10-2-2016 by bigcountry08 because: Wrong wording.

edit on 10-2-2016 by bigcountry08 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
My hubby and I were just talking about this. He never uses social media AT ALL and he loves the internet. He just uses it to research how to do stuff or fix stuff or to answer curious questions or for trivia. I, on the other hand, do use social media and I have more anti-pathy for it. In fact, he went so far as to say I'm more anti-social than him or than I used to be. Somewhat jaded....

It's definitely a reversal for us and I've backed off a bit on my internet activities.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   
A mod on this very site told me to "grow a thicker skin"...that was good advice.
And not that I have been marginalized as a "people like you"...

Not only can I take it; I can dish it out as well. They created a monster....

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I don't mind forums (I like them, actually) but Facebook and Twitter are pure evil.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

You forgot to toss in the cyber bullies. The young generation, ones who had Internet their whole lives, can't develop that thick skins we all can. Social media is so intertwined into their lives that they can't live without it.

As for saying anything nasty online vs face to face, I pull my punches online. Unless it's a troll.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
There have always been some crappy people in the world and there always will be... it's true that trolls and cyber-bullies make the internet annoying/depressing sometimes, but the good thing about it is that you can ignore them, block them, shut the tab, check another site, etc. You can even reply with random puppy pictures, cause why not?

Not related, but when I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was about 90's-early 00's internet. Waiting for a day or two to download ONE song, MySpace, having to sign off cause someone needed to use the phone... now THAT was the true dark ages for the internet.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: LukeDAP

Wouldn't call those years the dark ages, but the golden age. It taught you to wait for what you wanted. Now, it's click and boom - yer info is right here.

Besides, that golden age stock craze was epic. Just wish I could travel back in time....with a few million.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 02:59 AM
link   

NO YOU'RE JUST A BIG FAT HATER!!!! YOU HATE EVERYONE!!!

edit on 12-2-2016 by lavatrance because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join