It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colossians 1:24 What do you think it means?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1There is a Ha Satan in Judaism but he is no fallen angel. Even in the gospel s Satan still works for God. Revelation and Paul or atleast Paul got it messed up. I'm not hung up I just call errors when I see them if I am absolutely certain.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Awen24
And seriously you just literally switched around words. That's not how you read a book. I read the passage and typed it in word for word. You srambled around words to get it to mean what you want. He clearly doesn't say what you just misinterpreted. It's a very common little tactic and I'm used to it. It's so crazy how you just play games with words instead of just reading and accepting what it says. It's not a good strategy for studying the bible.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Peter in this case might have been referring to the blanket let down to him while on the roof saying eat and what God has made clean let no man call unclean . The gentiles were considered unclean at that time . Peter suffered the same thing when he favoured the Jews over the gentiles in the Church meetings ...Paul called him out on that matter .

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

I asked because I didn't see you telling me where exactly in Acts to look. I saw a "7" and so I went through Acts looking in a couple different translations. I never saw the word "gentiles." So I am wondering which version you used to draw your conclusion that the Apostles were preaching to the gentiles.

The closest match I found was when the Holy Spirit descended at Pentecost early on, and this verse speaks about Jews in other parts of the world who speak other tongues. These are the ones the disciples went to, and they become early Christians.

Paul went to the gentiles, the ones who were not Jewish.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1
Paul was out of line he gets kicked out of every place he goes and then steals Peters Christ appointed position as Apostle to the "gentiles" ( that word makes me sick).

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1But what did he mean the crucifixion was lacking?

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: areyousirius360

Got a reference to your claim ? I mean a Biblical reference to be exact .

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1Yeah it's in the beginning of the thread.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: areyousirius360If I feel like looking it up later I will. I'm not worried about convincing you and I have no problem saying what I did because I know it.
But the thread is about a specific passage do you have a problem staying on topic? because you can always make your own thread.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1ATTENTION! That message was for your2 of user1 whatever your name is.

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

"this mystery among the Gentiles"

He says what the mystery was:

"Christ in you"

When you are baptized you are given a new spirit.

Ezekiel 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

That is, you take in Christ and become heir - you become a child of God. It is the adoption Paul referred to - the grafting in - and it might even be the Bride that is referenced in several locations (Gentiles become the bride by taking in the spirit of Yeshua).

Baptism in the old testament: Ezekiel 36:24-28
edit on 2/1/2016 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Bleeeeep
When Paul/Saul says mystery, I believe he is referring to the ancient Mystery schools/religions
Of Egypt/Babylon/Greece/Rome/Chaldea they were every where and they would today be called cults ot secret societies but back then it was very common for people to belong to these schools that would teach Mysteries and today it is known as Kabbalah but the Roman Catholic church is pagan Babylon cloaked in Christianity. Paul was definitely referring to Mystery Babylon I don't know if the people he was talking to realize it.
edit on 1-2-2016 by areyousirius360 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Lots of room for textual indifference here.

Firstly this is a pseudepigraphal letter penned by Tychicus and Onesimus from Rome and not by Saul/Paul.
Scholars can debate this forever but it is still pseudepigraphal literature. It may be fair to assume that this was penned for Paul or that it was penned with Paul's approval but it was not penned by Paul and cannot be a quote of Paul. Too many variables.

Other than that it does not have the same meaning to some as you have postulated. The Christ Jesus lacked nothing in His passion for humanity and I believe you are mistaken to thread that thought. Saul/Paul was chosen to evangelize the Gentile world which Christ Jesus did not not. Jesus came to His own house first and in His short ministry chose to complete His Gospel to the world through mankind. Not by a lack of purpose but to complete through the Church (Body).

Cepher Qolasiym – Colossians – The Pseudepigraphal Cepher to the Colossians –
Written from Rome to the Qolasiym by Tychicus and Onesimus –

Colossians 1:24
Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of HAMASHIACH (Christ) in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the called out assembly (church):

My opinions of course -

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Seede
Totally plausible. I could see someone who wanted to use the name Paul to further an agenda.
Could be that it happened as the church was slowly becoming pagan under Roman leadership. The mention of the word mystery in the ancient world always makes me suspicious.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

No, Mystery Babylon probably is those schools - those false doctrines - but what Paul is referring to is not Mystery Babylon.

Again, Paul clearly states what the mystery is that he's referencing. Look:

Colossians 1
25 of which I became a minister according to the stewardship from God which was given to me for you, to fulfill the word of God, 26 the mystery which has been hidden from ages and from generations, but now has been revealed to His saints. 27 To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

What he is talking about is our adoption; our salvation; our redemption.

See here:

Ephesians 1
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: 4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: 5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, 6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. 7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace; 8 Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence; 9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself: 10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him: 11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will: 12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.

Colossians 1:27 and Ephesians 1:9-12 are saying the same thing.

This is the foundation of Christianity. If you know anything about Christianity - if you know anything about anything at all - it should be this:

Get baptized / take in the spirit of the Son. (Ezekiel 36:24-28)
Follow the spirit to Father. (John 14:6)

Actually, go read all of John 14 -- its saying the same thing too.

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I disagree

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I've examined Pauls letters and the bible to death. You will never convince me that he isn't the wolf in sheep's clothing, the wolf of the tribe of Benjamin (he was a Benjaminite), a Roman agent, still a Pharisee working under cover to destroy the message of Christ, a false prophet etc. It's not worth trying.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
The mystery was Christ dwells in the believer, their hope of glory.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
[In Colossians 1] Paul speaks of a mystery that he teaches. This reminds me of a certain someone in Revelation. [...] Babylon had a mystery on her forehead (her mind). Paul's doctrine is the foundation of the church

Saulus («Paul») was the true founder of the Catholic Church, that I suspect is the Mystery Babylon according to Revelation. As I showed in an earlier thread the quote from Revelation possibly contain ROMA encoded using a simple ELS cipher in the given Revelation verse. I'll test the cipher on the Colossians quotes to see if there are further codes embedded in the Saulian epistles and elsewhere the word Mysterion shows up, I never carried on to do that exercise, might be fun.
edit on 11-2-2016 by Utnapisjtim because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Utnapisjtim

I find that remarable as there is no proof.

1) Paul never went to Alexandria Egypt, the birthplace of Roman Catholicism. The only place where the Bible was re-written on animal skins for Emperor Constantine's approval. Which when he was presented these re-written copies legalized that branch of Supposed Christian religion in opposition to the true church who would not conform to Roman Catholic Rule/Roman Universal Church rule.

2) Pauls letters are not cyphers to be deciphered. There is no mystery religion in true Christianity. It was the imposing of mystery religions that later claimed there were as to gain control of unsuspecting men who wanted more than just a clean/Holy life towards God through Christ Jesus.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join