It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The draft is slavery

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   
There is a manifest contradiction with some politicians of the United States government. Every politician would say that they are against slavery, yet not all of them are against the draft.

All cases of slavery are cases of allocating someones body, time, or resources without their consent.
The draft is a case of allocating someones body, time, or resources without their consent.
Therefore, the draft is slavery.

Do you see the contradiction? You cannot be against all cases of slavery and be for the draft, yet that is the contradiction they live.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thetan
There is a manifest contradiction with some politicians of the United States government. Every politician would say that they are against slavery, yet not all of them are against the draft.

All cases of slavery are cases of allocating someones body, time, or resources without their consent.
The draft is a case of allocating someones body, time, or resources without their consent.
Therefore, the draft is slavery.

Do you see the contradiction? You cannot be against all cases of slavery and be for the draft, yet that is the contradiction they live.

Apart from these little things.

Slaves weren't paid.
Slaves weren't given weapons that could kill their masters.
Slaves didn't have the choice to go against an order of they knew it was wrong.
Slaves weren't defending their country.

See where I'm going with this?

edit on 251525/1/1616 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79
No, honestly I don't. Which premise do you disagree with?

edit on 25-1-2016 by Thetan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

No, honestly I don't. You disagree with premise one?

I wouldn't say I completely disagree, but I wouldn't equate being drafted to being a slave.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Well unless you can find a flaw in my logic, you have no basis for disagreement.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Well unless you can find a flaw in my logic, you have no basis for disagreement.

I'm sure I listed a few in my first reply. But in case you missed them, here they are again.

Slaves weren't paid.
Slaves weren't given weapons that could kill their masters.
Slaves didn't have the choice to go against an order of they knew it was wrong.
Slaves weren't defending their country.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   
What Draft? The military is all volunteer and that is unlikely to change.

Also, you can opt out of the military as a conscientious objector, so it's far from slavery.

WHO QUALIFIES?

Beliefs which qualify a registrant for CO status may be religious in nature, but don't have to be. Beliefs may be moral or ethical; however, a man’s reasons for not wanting to participate in a war must not be based on politics, expediency, or self-interest. In general, the man’s lifestyle prior to making his claim must reflect his current claims.

Selective Service Systems Link

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
But none of those points contradicts my argument, good sir.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   

But none of those points contradicts my argument, good sir.

It does in fact contradict the idea of slavery.

If I was a slave and I was given a weapon who would I kill? The person I got told to or the person keeping me as a slave so I could be free?

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555
You still have to register for the draft if you're a citizen of the United States, the draft is only in remission. I certainly hope the country never decides to draft again, but only time will tell. Only sometimes do you qualify as a conscientious objector, most of the time, people do not. Vietnam is a perfect example. For the all the people in the past who did not want to go to war, but had to( and there were many.) They were slaves to the government. If you disagree, you have to find a flaw in my logic.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Tell me the points you made that contradict any of my premises.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Thetan

My two cents....

1) There is currently no draft in the United States, so all of this is speculation/hypothetical. That being said, if someone is drafted and they refuse to serve, they can face the penalty which (I suspect) is some time in prison. Whether or not an individual thinks that is "fair" I'm on the fence on.

2) Although I'm not necessarily a fan, I would think that a more "fair" way to handle this would be to do as they do in Israel (where everybody serves for a few years at a certain age).

#3 may be drifting a little... but I would argue Well, YOU brought up the topic of slavery...

3) If you are so concerned about "slavery".... I'm curious what your thoughts are on penalizing those who work for a living by ever increasing taxes (and yes, I'm lumping tolls and registration fees in with taxes) to subsidize those who don't work and essentially survive on Public Assistance. Why is it that some must work and toil so that others can reap the benefits (while not contributing and against the wishes of those that work)? Isn't essentially forcing some people to work for others against their will a truer example of "slavery?"

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Tell me the points you made that contradict any of my premises.

To counter the few points you made? I can't.

The definition of a slave is much more than you posted.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   
depends on how you define slavery.

if by slavery you mean the state(s) own a human's life completely and can decide what to do with him, yes a draft would be like slavery, but not like american slavery where slaves where subhuman.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22
So are you saying that in some cases you are for slavery?

edit on 25-1-2016 by Thetan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: vjr1113
I defined slavery in the OP, good fellow.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

If you are basing this on the Vietnam era you are not basing it on current reality, which is a "flaw" in your thinking.

There are many ways a person can avoid military service now. Then you went to jail, but that time has come and gone.

As it is now, registering is harmless. Any situation that would bring the draft back would be so extreme that people would step up to help defend themselves.

If you wanted to discuss the draft in the Vietnam War, you should have said so. Different world then entirely.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Nope. I'm not in favor of slavery in any capacity nor in any situation.

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   

The danger of being Drafted is a Case of allocating the Male child's body though selective service for a definitive amount of time in exchange for federal benefits (which are a joke but then FASA, Pell Grant, ect.) Escape from being drafted can be waived if the child

A. Is in Collage,
B. Sole serving child of a gold star family (Sullivan law)
C. Imprisoned
D. declared unfit for duty, (Alice's loop hole).

E. Never registers for Selective Service and does not go to collage, and never was claimed on taxes as a dependent (oops too many people took those deductions for the children, thus getting federal benefit which the government takes back as Obligated Active Service.)
F. Voluntarily enlists for additional benefits instead of being conscripted.
G. Flee's the country aka Pull a Snowden.

In the case of Slavery there was no Compensation, there was no trade for benefits, there was no Waivers. And there was no limit on Duration.

Thus the Logic of the OP is flawed.

CoBaZ
edit on 25-1-2016 by CoBaZ because: added time limit for duration.

edit on 25-1-2016 by CoBaZ because: added link to Alice's restraunt

posted on Jan, 25 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
So you made points to counter my argument, that didn't counter my argument?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join