It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska just got rocked. 7.1

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Just had a awesome quake in the Valley. The state has gotten over 86 quakes over a 1.1 in the last 7 days. The dog was going nuts, whimpering, and whining a full hour before it hit. I felt bad about yelling at the dog she got a few treats for me being ignorant about signs that animals do, unusual behavior and such.

It was located in the Puget Sound.

That was fun. Anyone else in AK get the shakes?

On my cell, but I'll add more in the morning
edit on 24-1-2016 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/24/2016 by Blaine91555 because: updated title

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Shows as 7.1 USGS right now site 127.8km depth.

Not very close to Anchorage but close enough to be felt it was just 100 or so miles away. across the inlet.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Rocked is one way to put it.
My house just went surfing for around a minute.....
Drawers came open and things came tumbling down. We were lucky not much broke. I had jars of jelly and relish everywhere, all intact somehow.

I'm wide awake from the rush, and waiting for an aftershock. That's the biggest quake I think I've ever been in.
The earthquake thread posters have so far concluded it was a 7.1 at Iliamna I believe. Info was still being changed on the websites though.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Hope everyone is OK sounds like it was quite strong, though deep. Just hope no one is hurt or worse

Hopefully the after shocks will be much smaller

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Make that a 7.1 according to USGS

Could this have something to do with the January-February 2015 planetary alignment?

Last time there was such an alignment was 2005, when the 8.7 Sumatra earthquake happened.
Back then there was the alignment, Venus-Sun-Mercury-Earth-Moon-Jupiter crossed with Saturn-Earth and possibly in almost near alignment with actual location of the Galactic Center.

For those who are following SO, this isn't such of a surprise anymore, +1 for Ben again.

More news and testimonies from earthquake-report
and video

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Really? I've had a few beers, but I think I would have felt something in Puget Sound before people in Alaska.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

Really? I've had a few beers, but I think I would have felt something in Puget Sound before people in Alaska.

I might have read that wrong. Over by Illiamna, lived there for a year. Awesome place

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Yeah. That was intense! Fb is blowing up with reports and all kinds of minor damage.

We are up on a second story and it felt like the house was gonna fall over for a second.

Outside, could see the trees waving. I actually heard it i am pretty sure.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Correct me if I am wrong but... isn't there a fairly large volcano nearby?

Addendum: Just looked again... there is a volcano that shows on the quake map at USGS but it is a pretty good distance away.

edit on 24-1-2016 by redoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I think he may have meant Prince William Sound...

That's a wake up alarm.

Anything about tsunami alerts anywhere on the west coast or Pacific Rim?

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: AK907ICECOLD

Just a question so don't beat me!

Not very good with geography and all that stuff...

Wasn't there a thread a few days ago showing a "mini" tsunami in the pacific northwest? And, there was something about a buoy and ocean rise as if a plate had slipped?
Would one have anything to do with the other?

Glad everyone is safe!

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Oh no trouble at all! I always come across like an ass, I don't usually intend it.

No intent this time to be a dick. I kinda figured there was another Puget Sound.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   

When I was a boy, late sixties early seventies...I remember how we always had to sleep with boots next to our beds.

Mom and Dad were concerned that given the proclivity of earthquakes in Alaska, that we might have to run for fear of a gas line break.

It only makes sense that in the middle of winter if you had to run to your car or truck, in the middle of the night...and you could only grab one thing...you'd want boots.....

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Yes there was. A video was provided of the tsunami too. In fact, if I recall. Go to youtube, and the video is on "BP EARTH WATCH" chanel.

Un-Nerving a bit. 😕

Stay safe everyone.. remember! Tuck n Roll! 😆
edit on 24-1-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

Edit: It is front page of BPEarthwatch channel you tube. Cascadia (subduction) to Washington. 🙋
edit on 24-1-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

Just a question so don't beat me!

Not very good with geography and all that stuff...

Wasn't there a thread a few days ago showing a "mini" tsunami in the pacific northwest? And, there was something about a buoy and ocean rise as if a plate had slipped?
Would one have anything to do with the other?

Glad everyone is safe!

Yes, there was a thread Mini Tsunami Thread and I gotta tell you, living in Seattle, this area waking up recently is really worrisome.. Random rogue waves, large EQs, active volcanoes all around, etc... sigh... Lets just hope everyone stays safe...

Also, my buddy in Anchorage said on his FB page that it felt like getting hit by a freight train and things were being whipped off the walls... Crazy... Scary..

Could this be related to the planetary alignment?

Also, did the OP mean to write Pugent Sound? Because in Seattle i didn't feel anything..
edit on 24-1-2016 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides

When I was a boy, late sixties early seventies...I remember how we always had to sleep with boots next to our beds.

Mom and Dad were concerned that given the proclivity of earthquakes in Alaska, that we might have to run for fear of a gas line break.

It only makes sense that in the middle of winter if you had to run to your car or truck, in the middle of the night...and you could only grab one thing...you'd want boots.....

This family will be more prepared from now on.

Standing outside with barefeet was kind of a wake up call lol. So much adrenaline didn't even notice at first.

Apparently the building right next to our old apartment had a gas leak and exploded, and there were three structure fires on that street.

edit on 24-1-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-1-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

Jeez, Bad. I hope no one was hurt.

The aftershocks will be going for a while.

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
It was in Kachemak Bay Alaska, underneath one of the three big volcanoes, Iliamna. We have three of them across the inlet from us, Redoubt closest to Anchorage, Iliamna is in the middle and Augustine is further south in the chain. My husband just corrected me too, there are four Mt. Spur is a volcano as well and closer still to Anchorage.

These volcanoes shake and smoke and occasionally blow their top, being so deep under Iliamna, I doubt there was a tsunami.
edit on 24-1-2016 by woodsmom because: Further not rarer

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Oh no!! In Kenai?
I hope everyone is ok! Hopefully there isn't too much more damage seen in the daylight.
We should all go check on vulnerable neighbors today too!!

posted on Jan, 24 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: crappiekat

Jeez, Bad. I hope no one was hurt.

The aftershocks will be going for a while.

It says on my wife's FB page, that the entire street was evacuated, I don't think anyone as hurt, but can't say for sure

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join