It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Mini tsunami' along Washington coast caught on camera

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
A few days ago we had a different thread started on ATS, regarding an ocean data buoy that quickly fell which alerted people to an "event" in the Cascadia Subduction Zone off the west coast of Oregon/Washington... Well, that thread was quickly cut short once a geologist came out attempting to debunk any claims... Well, I live in Seattle, and my landlord just emailed me a story about this exact threat and a link to a story with a video that shows a mini-tsunami off the coast of washington near near pacific beach... Below is the clip that was posted..

I didn't see this posted on ATS yet, so I do apologize if it already was, but living here I do occasionally worry about the "big one" (EQ) happening off the coast.. Can anyone give any ideas to the risk of these claims? Should we make anything of them? My landlord gave me a lot of weird EQ preparation instructions. Coming from the midwest (chicago) i'm not used to any of this...

Interesting video, right?

*** And in the link is a 1 minute clip without this guys commentary, I don't know who he is, but I just wanted the same footage that the link was sharing.

News Article
edit on 21-1-2016 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-1-2016 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

Some kind of storm surge or other?

What a strange occurence!

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Any honest input to if this should be of any concern to me, please share... I'm new to the area, never lived on a coast, and certainly never lived in a volatile EQ zone that's long overdue... Is water running up like that normal? Doesn't seem like simple waves going in and out to me, that seems like it was pushed forward by some event.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Here in B.C. a few days ago we were expecting a King Tide..it was smaller than expected..Im wondering if this was it?, happens twice a year.
www2.gov.bc.ca...
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 21-1-2016 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
Here in B.C. a few days ago we were expecting a King Tide..it was smaller than expected..Im wondering if this is a King Tide?, happens twice a year.
www2.gov.bc.ca...

Does the King Tide typically surge in like that? I'm not familiar with this event.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
globalnews.ca...

6.6 off Mexico
Not sure how far down the coast. Might be totally unrelated
edit on 21-1-2016 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   
from my exp of living on a coast all my life.....that is no storm surge,or rouge wave.If a bouy showed a sudden drop,then I would say its a mini tsunami.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
No a king tide wouldnt surge like that.....a king tide is just a big tide ,bigger than usual

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   

I think in the 1st link it describes as simular to a storm surge but I cant say for certian, maybe not but more intense in the winter...I know in past a state of emergency has been declared here due to fast flooding, nothing super serious though in terms of fatalities..it's predictably to some degree. I remember hearing it was going to be here a few days ago but fizzled out..perhaps it just ended up a stones throw down the coast.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

I think in the 1st link it describes as simular to a storm surge but I cant say for certian..I know in past a state of emergency has been declared here due to fast flooding, nothing super serious though in terms of fatalities..it's predictably to some degree. I remember hearing it was going to be here a few days ago but fizzled out..perhaps it just ended up a stones throw down the coast.

Interesting if a storm surge could move in like that.. I guess being nestled away in the midwest my whole life I never really knew about these type of things. scary stuff if this is common at all..

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   
The Kraken must have been swimming nearby, that's the only explanation.

I'm glad no one was injured

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Having reviewed some storm surge footage, I do not think that is what you saw. I think what you saw resembled quake response more than anything else. It was too fast and long in duration, one long pulse, rather than several short ones.

Bloody ell fire as they say up North.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Im not positive about it being a King Tide, some posters think not and they could be right, but the timing of it is interesting and geographiclly close

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Here is a link to Katrina storm surge in Biloxi. Sorry don't know how to imbed.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Possibly a tidal bore coming in to Wilapa Bay?

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: TXTriker
Here is a link to Katrina storm surge in Biloxi. Sorry don't know how to imbed.

www.youtube.com...

here ya go!

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Drunkenparrot
Possibly a tidal bore coming in to Wilapa Bay?

It certainly looks like one. What would cause it?

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Excellent thread, very much worthy of followup and data saves. Here is a good link that fits in perfectly w/ the subject:

www.newyorker.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: antar
Excellent thread, very much worthy of followup and data saves. Here is a good link that fits in perfectly w/ the subject:

www.newyorker.com...

Thanks for the article! The writer definitely had me feeling better about the tsunami risk being quite low in Seattle.. From my understanding, from all the locals, the big risk to Seattle, other than a 8+ EQ is Mt Rainier blowing its top off, and the Lahars, pyroclastic flow to follow..

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join