It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquakes Are Escalating Off Cuba Coast- Could Be Foreshocks

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Yeah. Unfortunately even things that have a million to one chance of happening, eventually happen in an infinite universe.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Ok so, at this point, what I am watching out for is bigger quakes anywhere along that fault. It would be a very worrying thing if, for instance, a 5+ or 6+ happened north of the DR, or on the Puerto Rico trench, where the constant swarm is. That would be out of character and seriously make me start running for the hills- even though I already AM in the hills. On the other hand, at any point that fault could just rip, with no further warning. But what is likely to happen is nothing. Or nothing further, shall we say. things will probably just calm down and dissipate to nothing. That's what almost always happens, and it will probably happen here. Probably.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Watching GEE....

See something at the 04:33 mark... but I am an amateur in reading that thing

Anybody to give me a crash course on GEE or is there a better program?... I like GEE, fairly simple to use

EDIT: another spike at 0442. I assume these are small after shocks... too small for USGS maybe?

edit on R462016-01-17T22:46:24-06:00k461Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa
Watching GEE....

See something at the 04:33 mark... but I am an amateur in reading that thing

No worries, Rick. while I am an amateur too, I am a very experienced amateur, and not to sound snobbish or whatever... but GEE is a toy compared to what I am looking at. Trust me, anything of note I will report- and not sure what station you are looking at, but things are quiet for the immediate moment.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   

San Juan BH1,2 and BZ

Santa Domingo BHZ

You got me started on watching GEE, TA back from the Yellowstone swarm a couple of years ago.... I still load it up from time to time...fascinating to watch, I just wish I understood what the data means a little better.

edit on R502016-01-17T22:50:04-06:00k501Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R512016-01-17T22:51:48-06:00k511Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Little my arsh
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Lets watch the aftershocks.

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

Oh, you're watching local small seismicity in the PR area then, and there is plenty of it. Pull up network CU, and load stations GTBY, SDDR and MTDJ. That's Guantanamo Bay, Santo Domingo and Jamaica, respectively. Still all quiet for the moment (and by that I mean relative to this thread- local seismicity on a small level still gonna happen, like in PR.)

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   

I added Santa Domingo because I figured if it shows up on all of them, then it would be a decent quake... lots of little ones in PR....

Life is good,,, drinking beer.... watching War of the Worlds (1953) a classic, and occasionllay glancing at GEE lol

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Good night all, thanks for the excitement, I pray all will blow over and this turns out to be a bad case of gas on Mother earth.

TA, check your in box ok?

posted on Jan, 17 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: antar

No, check yours- already answered you!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch... the fault has cranked up again a bit- a 3.0 followed by a 3.5 or so just now.
edit on Sun Jan 17th 2016 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Now another just hit, looks to be in the 4.4 to 4.6 range. USGS might report on it. Stay tuned...

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 01:29 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican
Four earthquakes have occurred within a short time off the Cuban southern coast- a 4.8, 4.6, 5.1, 5.1- in that order:

These are occurring in an escalating fashion. When the second 4.6 hit, I thought "That's pretty close in magnitude to the first one, and could be foreshocks." Well it turned out they were- foreshocks to the next 5.1 which occurred within hours.

Well now a second 5.1 has hit in the same area. And with that being identical in magnitude to the first 5.1, now I am concerned for the same reason that these all could be foreshocks to a bigger one.

A large quake in that area could have devastating consequences for much of the Caribbean, especially if a tsunami is involved. And while the island of Cuba might shield the western side of a tsunami from Florida, the wave would still likely go around the eastern side and nail the Bahamas and Miami- as well as Haiti and Jamaica too.

Therefore a watch alert is in order here, considering how these quakes are manifesting, with a tendency to escalate and breaking the 1.5 magnitude separation statistic that usually occurs between main shock and largest aftershock. These quakes are not operating under those rules- and this could mean trouble.

CUBA SINK HOLES
www.google.com.au...

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   
We are waiting a huge earthquake near the Prince Islands in Istanbul - Turkey since 18 years. It already passed the estimated 10 year line by probably 8 years. Do you guys think this can trigger that line as well?

I hope those earthquakes are releasing the stress slowly rather than at once. I wish the best for you.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 01:50 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Have Cuba been miss behaving....as in not playing ball over some political agenda recently? I recall Obama was in 'negotiations' with them the second half of last year.....just musing....

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

And also add the missle crisis which was carried over with a commercial plane to cuba "mistakenly" .

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 02:54 AM
link   
If there is a big quake to cause a tsunami, I won't be able to get out of here in time....I am in the lower keys and it takes 2 1/2 hour to get to key largo....or 3 1/2 to south Miami ....so.....my house is 15 feet off the ground...and I do have water and lots of food in the house . I just hope I am in the house and not working if that happens ! ....and I'm alittle freaked right now !

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 04:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Meldionne1
If there is a big quake to cause a tsunami, I won't be able to get out of here in time....I am in the lower keys and it takes 2 1/2 hour to get to key largo....or 3 1/2 to south Miami ....so.....my house is 15 feet off the ground...and I do have water and lots of food in the house . I just hope I am in the house and not working if that happens ! ....and I'm alittle freaked right now !

Then have a spot picked out in the lower keys that:
1) is closest to you and has the biggest land mass from south to north
2) and which you can get to the furthest NORTH point on the island you can go without being too close to ANY water body at all. And ESPECIALLY away from any inlets or bays, as they will concentrate the water and it will go higher.

Keep in mind that the wave would likely be coming from the southeast (if the quake is near these other quakes), and will go around the island of Cuba. But it would still pose a threat, and especially to the lower Keys, as it will likely wrap around Cuba first, but will still come at you- albeit with less force. That could still be enough to travel over a km inland though, so if I were you, I'd get out a map of the lower keys and choose wisely (or look it up online).

Latest seismic update: the fault is still restless, delivering intermittent, small quakes.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Latest seismic update: the fault is still restless, delivering intermittent, small quakes.

I am sure every tension point is slightly different from the next, however, in your opinion how long can "foreshocks" last?
edit on 18-1-2016 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-1-2016 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join