It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquakes Are Escalating Off Cuba Coast- Could Be Foreshocks

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 04:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate

Latest seismic update: the fault is still restless, delivering intermittent, small quakes.

I am sure every tension point is slightly different from the next, however, in your opinion how long can "foreshocks" last?

There is no answer to that. They could last for days being small, and then all of a sudden, WHAM. Take Japan in 2011 as an example. Two or three days before the big one, there was like a 7.2, with its own set of associated aftershocks. And that mainshock was like over a hundred km away from the big one. At the time, everyone thought it was over, because the 7.2 had its own set of aftershocks. Case closed, right? WRONG. VERY WRONG. The rest is history as we now know. There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to quakes. Best we can do is be prepared.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 04:24 AM
link   
TA, long time no see! < waves >

I spotted those 5's yesterday and have been trying to get the CU network to load in GEE ever since, but the stations will not load/show. Do I need to tweak something in it? I've been assuming something's borked in the program somewhere, but it also could just be something I'm doing or not doing, too.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Yeah, I tried in GEE 2.2.0 to open up several networks including CU and they would not load. Sorry, I have no idea why. the developers haven't updated it in over a year. Sorry.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Yeah, I tried in GEE 2.2.0 to open up several networks including CU and they would not load. Sorry, I have no idea why. the developers haven't updated it in over a year. Sorry.

I might be able to help with the software conflicts. What OS you got? Hope its debian or arch based linux or windows and that it's under the GNU.

ETA: Well the developer page is 404 and i need to find the url of the new servers and track down the current source code as well. fun....
edit on 18-1-2016 by freemanwalking because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   
If memory serves me correctly ... The only tidal wave to hit the U.S. Hit the Florida Keys... But that was from a hurricane . Of course tsunami and tidal wave are different ... But... just saying ....Cuba is only 90 miles away . It's too
Close to be able to get out of any thing happened ...The big joke in the lower keys is " we are closer to Cuba then ANY Walmart".
edit on 18-1-2016 by Meldionne1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   
So TA what is the deal with Oklahoma?

It seems to going off like popcorn, small but frequent.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
So TA what is the deal with Oklahoma?

It seems to going off like popcorn, small but frequent.

fracking.
fortunately they're all small.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Meldionne1
If memory serves me correctly ... The only tidal wave to hit the U.S. Hit the Florida Keys... But that was from a hurricane . Of course tsunami and tidal wave are different ... But... just saying ....Cuba is only 90 miles away . It's too
Close to be able to get out of any thing happened ...The big joke in the lower keys is " we are closer to Cuba then ANY Walmart".

There was a tsunami that hit Hilo, Hawaii in 1960. An 8.5 earthquake struck Chile and sent a wave 400 mph to Hilo. Caused around 60 deaths.

I have a friend in Key West. Should I be concerned?

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   
This is interesting:

www.digplanet.com...

Seems there's a history of significant earthquakes in Santiago de Cuba. A lot of them registering 6.0 or higher with quite a few 6.7, 6.8 and one even 7.6.

It could be ramping up so be alert!
edit on 18-1-2016 by texasgirl because: corrected a number

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero
I suspected as much, but does it make the earthquakes they trigger any less likely to trigger something bigger?

I thought it is something like an Avalanche. It can be just as destructive whether the mountain comes down by nature, or by an accidental act generated by man.

I don't know how this all works, that is why I am asking. Logic doesn't always translate to fact. It just seems to me if a device can register the vibrations of an earthquake, then the whole area between the quake to the registering device, has the possibility of being affected by the quake. So any areas along that space that are fragile could be affected?

My logic may be flawed and I be way off on this, but since we don't know where all the fragile areas are, then maybe we don't want to go stirring up potential trouble. But if fracking quakes are innocuous, then maybe they shouldn't be listed.

I don't know. My wheels are just spinning, so I am just asking for helping understanding.

edit on 18-1-2016 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Word correction.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Will continue to monitor this thread, thank you everyone

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Maybe North Korea is testing another 'hydrogen bomb" in Cuban Waters.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
a reply to: ElGoobero
I suspected as much, but does it make the earthquakes they trigger any less likely to trigger something bigger?

my understanding is that fracking takes place at a shallow depth layer of crust, and true quakes take place much, much deeper.
fracking will not affect or create 'real' quakes, no more than a kid popping up a baseball will interfere with a satellite.
it's definitely good to be aware of these things!

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Could this be seamount?

oceanexplorer.noaa.gov...

Is it anything like the pattern of seamount activity we've seen off the coast of California/Oregon? I defer to those with greater knowledge.

BTW, webpages on submarine landslides seem to be down at the moment. Overloaded?

People in Florida should take a look at the image of the Puerto Rico Trench here, for clarity.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

edit on 18-1-2016 by Barker because: Added for clarity

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Here, we investigate the impact of three possible earthquake scenarios, consistent with the regional seismotectonic setting, on northern Haiti through inundation by tsunami waves. These scenarios simulate the effect of a M8.0 earthquake on the Septentrional strike-slip fault (possibly similar to the 1842 earthquake), a M8.1 earthquake on the offshore thrust fault system north of Haiti, and an earthquake rupturing a large portion of the offshore thrust fault system north of Haiti and the Dominican Republic.

Tsunami scenarios and hazard assessment along the northern coast of Haiti

While not in the exact area where the current activity is, it is quite close to the region and thus might have some bearing on the current discussion.

The talk of fracking, while interesting, is somewhat off topic to the thread. There are quite a few other relevant threads in which the topic of induced seismicity could be discussed.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The Puerto Rico Trench is the site of the world's most negative gravity anomaly.

I hope someone, somewhere is keeping an eye on the Trench whenever seismicity picks up in the area. It is my understanding that there are gravitational changes when the density of the earth's crust changes. So gravity may be an indicator of future movement in places like the Puerto Rico Trench. Gravitational changes predate subduction, but by how long? I expect scientists are already aiming the satellites to this region.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Uri ten Brink of the USGS on foreshocks along strike-slip fault lines in the area, tsunamigenic earthquakes and submarine landslides:

compasscayman.com...

Also helpful, these historical accounts of the earth opening up in 20 places in 1849, and how Grand Cayman "sank".

www.caymanprepared.ky...
edit on 18-1-2016 by Barker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I am no expert in Earthquakes, but it would seem as two plates rub against one another, a series of smaller quakes would be a good thing? relieving tension and force rather than one large snap/crack/jolt?

That said...I know from the debate around global warming and rising seas that Miami is highly vulnerable to any change in sea levels, one of the most vulnerable places in the USA, so it would seem to follow that they are very vulnerable to tsunami events ...aka...flat and near sea level.

Fingers crossed no tragedy is in the making.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Hmmmm. Wondering if this could be related to the joint naval-air force operation ongoing southern Gulf of Mexico. My understanding is they are firing an experimental "device" into the upper atmosphere.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
There are some excellent images of hydrothermal vents in the Cayman trough here:

www.tumblr.com...

These vents are a recent discovery. The Cayman Trough is said to be undergoing thermal expansion. I'm not sure of the exact location of the vents, but there are probably more awaiting discovery.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join