It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU shock as 'out' vote sweeps 6% ahead!

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: 83Liberty

Makes me wonder how anyone can actually believe that it is better

for the UK to stay in!!??

This latest piece of news that the daughter in law of terrorist

Abu Hanza cannot be deported from UK despite a criminal past.

because of *human rights* laws an EU Law Chief has ruled.

Where does that leave the *human rights* of ALL the law abiding

citizens of the UK

We need to have the right to control our own borders.....

David Cameron's *renegotiations* (LOL!! if there ever was a misnomer)

have not touched on the powers of EU Justice over British Law

MP's and campaigners said the only way to ensure an end to such farces

is to LEAVE THE EU.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

Only it won't be Britain if the UK votes to leave. The Scottish are very pro-EU. If the UK leaves the EU then they will demand a second referendum and the pro-independence movement must just win it this time. I'm not even sure that there's an anti-EU movement in Wales. When it comes to the vote I'm voting no to leaving the EU.

Just to deviate on a matter of pedantry, Britain = England & Wales, Great Britain = Britain + Scotland.

So it would still be Britain, even if Scotland left.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: Soloprotocol
I don't recognize the design though, so I'll always refuse Scottish banknotes.
I also hope you get your independence wish as well fella.

Scottish banknotes aren't even legal tender in Scotland!

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

I think a lot of people forget that 'Britain' is the historic name of the island, not the political name for the wider internationally recognised nation.
Even in the Welsh language it is 'Prydain' and I'm surprised AngryCymraeg wouldn't know that, 'Cymraeg' being the Welsh word for Welsh.

I sometimes wonder what the political name would change to after any Scots independence though, the SNP have said they would like to keep the queen as head of state, and as 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain' refers to the united Crown from 1707, if they keep the queen then the UK would seem to still be relevant.

It's a trivial issue though to be fair and I couldn't give a toss if the Scots leave, however I am concerned that nationalist Scots will vote 'in' at the EU referendum tactically so if the majority in England vote 'leave the EU' they can demand another Scottish referendum.
If that's the case then so be it, bit messy, but we'll get there in the end. Either way my self employed life will be unaffected (people will still need their properties maintained) and if we leave the EU there will be less Eastern Europeans competing for my work undercutting day rates because they live 4 to a room in house shares sending money back to their homelands.

***VOTE LEAVE PEOPLE***

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
Pardon my ignorance...

But who is this Boris person? I'd Google him, but it's more fun this way.

I've always been kind of surprised the British joined the EU...

So were the British.

Back in 1972, everyone thought they were signing up for something that would just increase trade and make travel easier.

Then the court cases started (DAMN YOU TO HELL, FACTORTAME) and we realised - oh f**k...

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob

Bank of England notes are not legal tender in Scotland, only England and Wales, but we still do the right thing and accept them.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

Bank of England notes are not legal tender in Scotland, only England and Wales, but we still do the right thing and accept them.

Do what you like Solo, I won't touch Scottish notes for the reasons I stated earlier, I don't recognise the designs and have no way of knowing if they are fake or not. Many places down here accept them from the tourists but I refuse them every time, because I can.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   

a reply to: ForteanOrg
Bull#, the UK is a net contributor. You really are are making it up now.

At least if he/she was Dutch, you could blame it on them being permanently stoned.

As it stands, Britain would need to take action to reposition itself if leaving the EU. If the UK sat idle and waited for stuff to happen then we would end up getting screwed in short order. I think the UK might be surprisingly well-positioned to develop an alternate free-trade area without the nonsense that the EU has dragged into the process. In fact, Britain already successfully manages a members-only club through the Commonwealth - which represents nearly one third of the world's population and is responsible for nearly 15% of the world's GDP.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Oh for sure the UK could reposition itself quite nicely independent with the return of its seat in the WTO.
Trade tariffs could easily be haggled, along with corporation tax rates etc for foreign business investment.
The transition period would of course be challenging but the sky most certainly will not fall.

...to use a certain Scottish members choice of words when they were considering independence, The Naw-bags are full of #e lol
edit on 6.2.2016 by grainofsand because: typo

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   

I sometimes wonder what the political name would change to after any Scots independence though, the SNP have said they would like to keep the queen as head of state, and as 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain' refers to the united Crown from 1707, if they keep the queen then the UK would seem to still be relevant.

LOL!! That's akin to getting a divorce and keeping the

house and name!

I am concerned that nationalist Scots will vote 'in' at the EU referendum tactically so if the majority in England vote 'leave the EU' they can demand another Scottish referendum.

Like they were SO SURE they would get a majority for

Scottish independence?

***VOTE LEAVE PEOPLE***

YES...YES... YES...

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ForteanOrg
As a Dutchman I'm very aware of the need to cooperate with other nations. Your entire notion of "sovereignty" is a thing of the past: no nation, nowhere, can be really "sovereign"...

And this is why you'll find yourself banging your head against a wall in this thread. You come from a very different background. Unlike the Netherlands, the UK has never had to roll over to any and every occupying force that wanders past. We've never needed to integrate Stockholm Syndrome into our national psyche just to let us sleep at night.

Our notion of sovereignty is built on a thousand contiguous years as a nation state when everyone else was falling around us. We (and to be clear I include Scotland in this, because their social, intellectual, and scientific contributions to the Union have always been far greater than their size would suggest) built empires, defined a concept of law and democracy that even now underpins the lives of billions of people around the globe, and kickstarted an industrial revolution that changed the world as we know it. History is full of our scientists, our authors, our innovators, and our inventors. Plenty of Dutch ones on the list as well, but always pushing forward when others have been content to sit on what they have... that's OUR way.

That's us. Great Britain. It might not look like it at the moment, but it's still us. That piddly little island off the coast of France... well, that piddly little island is full of the same guys that brought the might of Nazi Germany to a crashing halt and then held them. We didn't need to. Germany was prepared to negotiate and avert further war.

We did it because we take our nationality and our country seriously, defending ours - and yours - even when you guys didn't seem to give a toss. Sound familiar? Because that increasingly sounds like the EU to me. Same old faces, same old story.

If you've been raised on a steady diet of cannabis, clog-carving, and surrending to every army that wanders past, you will never ever understand what sovereignty means to us.

Cry "God for Elizabeth, England, and St. George!"

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   

You do know St George was a Syrian Refugee from Lydda dont you..I wonder how many Swedish and German Schoolgirls he molested in his day.?

edit on 6-2-2016 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Syrian, Christian, officer in the Roman army apparently, but refugee? Nope, no writings anywhere indicate that, aside from your post on ATS of course lol.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

And this is why you'll find yourself banging your head against a wall in this thread. You come from a very different background. Unlike the Netherlands, the UK has never had to roll over to any and every occupying force that wanders past. We've never needed to integrate Stockholm Syndrome into our national psyche just to let us sleep at night.

Our notion of sovereignty is built on a thousand contiguous years as a nation state when everyone else was falling around us. We (and to be clear I include Scotland in this, because their social, intellectual, and scientific contributions to the Union have always been far greater than their size would suggest) built empires, defined a concept of law and democracy that even now underpins the lives of billions of people around the globe, and kickstarted an industrial revolution that changed the world as we know it. History is full of our scientists, our authors, our innovators, and our inventors.

Great points!...

Its time the ditherers took note ^^^^^^ though I gather history

is no longer taught like it used to be.

That's us. Great Britain. It might not look like it at the moment, but it's still us. That piddly little island off the coast of France... well, that piddly little island is full of the same guys that brought the might of Nazi Germany to a crashing halt and then held them. We didn't need to. Germany was prepared to negotiate and avert further war.

TWICE in the space of less than 50 yrs. I might add!!

LOL!!

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Exactly.

European countrys are used to turmoil and rolling over and surrendering there sovereignty every other decade to who ever the invader of the month is.

Britain isn't. We have held sovereignty for nearly a thousand years and (excluding a few blips) have held one of, if not the most stable society in the world.

We are almost a diffrent breed society wise to mainland Europe.

We are much closer to Australia /canada /new Zealand and our wayward EMO child the USA than we are France, spain and Germany.
edit on 6-2-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

You do know St George was a Syrian Refugee from Lydda dont you..I wonder how many Swedish and German Schoolgirls he molested in his day.?

And St. Andrew is also the patron saint of fishmongers, gout, singers, sore throats, spinsters, maidens, old maids and women wishing to become mothers.

Our patron saints aren't always as cool as we'd like them to be, so we ignore the inconvenient bits and focus on the awesome bits!

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
We are much closer to Australia /canada /new Zealand and our wayward EMO child the USA than we are France, spain and Germany.

Well lets face it .... They all come from good stock? Most of their

ancestors are *Brits*
LOL!!

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
An interesting article from Saturday's Express

Britain appears to be marching towards an EU exit, after a poll for
the express.co.uk. The poll reveals a big lead for the Out campaign
It is a crushing blow for David Cameron who claims he has negotiated an
excellent (?) deal. The yougov poll shows voters are unimpressed and
unpersuaded.

The on line poll of more than 82.000 people revealed that 92% of
them want to exit the EU.

David Cameron has repeatedly insisted reform documents from his
*renegotiations* will be a legal instrument if they are agreed by fellow
EU leaders at a summit in Brussels later this month. Telling MP's the records
would be deposited at the 'United Nations' and *will have legal force*

HOWEVER...

EU Parliament boss Mr Martin Schulz suggests, Any deal could be undone
at a later stage.

So why this farce of a performance by David Cameron doing a whistle stop

tour of negotiations between other EU leaders for thin gruel?

Mr Schulz went on to say "Nothing in life is irreversible" therefore
legally binding decisions are also reversible. He said the risk of democracy
was that the details of the deal could be changed by the European Parliament.

So I say again Why this farcical performance by David Cameron? There is

NOTHING he can do .... The UK needs to be OUT of the EU.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Wayward, huh?

We've been called worse...
USA. USA. USA. (sorry, it's genetic.)

Let's assume for the moment that this referendum passes, and England, et al leaves the EU. What does this mean for the average work-a-day Londoner who has to buy groceries, pay the power bill, etc... Does life truly get better for him/her in the short run...let's be honest here, most of us care not a whit about long run improvements.

Now if it improves for that Londoner, can the same be said for the guy/gal living a bit further north towards Hadrian's Wall?

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Oh behave with your concerns for the Scots and Northern England, I live in the far south west of England and we are just as forgotten about as the far north.
I'm voting out because I believe the whole UK will be better off leaving the EU.
...we don't bleat like victims here in the south west as much though, perhaps we should start doing it though as so many folk cry tears for NW England and Scotland.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join