It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the 'Book of Revelation' originally a Jewish Text that was later doctored by 'Christians' ?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gnosisisfaith
a reply to: Sigismundus

You basically confirmed what I was saying. Why would you define a word for me if I used it properly? I know they merged all the gods into Yahweh, that was my point. But thanks for telling me even though I already knew

Hey, I love ready this stuff.

But, I really like the detailed explanations, etc.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Fair enough, I thought you were trying to contradict me. Everyone else does. Sorry

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Or I thought he was sorry. I get people heated up with facts about the bible that contradict there opinion because they don't research history and just rely on the bible.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Or I thought he was sorry. I get people heated up with facts about the bible that contradict there opinion because they don't research history and just rely on the bible.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Gnosisisfaith

You wrote: QUOTE "You basically confirmed what I was saying. Why would you define a word for me if I used it properly? I know they merged all the gods into Yahweh, that was my point. But thanks for telling me even though I already knew..." UNQUOTE

I believe the word you are looking for is 'Syncretism' which seemed to have made its first appearance some time around 1618. It derives from Latin word syncretismus, drawing on Greek συγκρητισμός (synkretismos), originally meaning "Cretan federation".

Theologically speaking, Syncretism is the merging of two different gods into one single god e.g. the Roman god Serapis from 2 Egyptian gods Wuzir and Hapi (Gk: Osiris + Apis = Serapis).

A primitive syncretism occurs in Exodus 6:3 where El Shaddai is syncretistically equivalent to YHWH, one of the rare times this is spelled out in the text we read:

וָאֵרָא, אֶל-אַבְרָהָם אֶל-יִצְחָק וְאֶל-יַעֲקֹב--בְּאֵל שַׁדָּי; וּשְׁמִי יְהוָה, לֹא נוֹדַעְתִּי לָהֶם

"[Although] I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob as El Shaddai, by my name YHWH I did not make myself known to them..."

This appears to be an editorial 'gloss' possibly by a scribe to smooth over the fact that there were occurrences of El Shaddai ('God Almighty' ? 'God of the Mountain' ? 'God the Destroyer' ?) in the Torah text referring to one of the pre-Exilic names for the Divine besides YHWH that had to be dealt with. Other syncretistic names include El Elyon (i.e. 'God Most High' ? which occurs in Genesis 14.18–20 as the clan-god whose priest was Melchizedek king of Salem) and Eloah (in the poetical sections to the book of Job, chapters 3-40)

Etymological background comments such as these (above) are merely for clarification for those on this thread, and are not aimed at any one individual who may or may not have all the information.

edit on 18-1-2016 by Sigismundus because: stutterringg computerrr keyyboarddd

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gnosisisfaith

Honestly, I have a little trouble following what you are saying.

I'm trying - - but, you seem to mix opinion with what you believe to be fact IMO

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Sigismundus

Henotheist describes the first part of my comment syncreticism the last. I don't mind learning new things but don't correct me if I'm not wrong. I don't need a dictionary lesson if I use a word Ikknow what it means.

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   
ANNEE: your entitled to your opinion. But I'm just repeating stuff I learned, an opinion is bound to happen

posted on Jan, 18 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   

I've been studying the bible since I was 16

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Gnosisisfaith

FACTS!! Ha! you haven't presented one fact all you have presented is personal opinion.

(post by Gnosisisfaith removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Your mad because two people talking about something and you don't understand it so you just dismiss it

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn
God forbid, someone studied ancient Israelites and found out that they were Henotheists until the Persians freed them from Babylonian captivity. If you made an attempt, you could easily confirm this. Research history, it's not hard. The Jews were never in Egypt, and Israeli scholars and archeologists readily admit it. Christianity is to stubborn because to the simple minded, one error negates the rest of the book. Which is from weak faith.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 02:16 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

After Paul created the new religion. Before then they were 'just' Jewish 'Jesus Cults' that were more or less tolerated by the Jewish establishment - mostly 'less'.

After Paul started converting Gentiles to Judaism, and the establishment would not let him convert uncircumsized males, he went off on his own. By that time of course, the word had already spread to various gentile populations and there were various competing gentile Jesus Cults. Paul's branch won out because he headed for the seat of earthly power and established a Christian orthodoxy. The others headed for the hills - literally. It took more than a thousand years to kill off some of those competing cults altogether - Gnostic traditions proved to be very tenacious in resisting the imposition of orthodoxy.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Cauliflower

Sir Isaac Newton put his 190 IQ

Hey that is way cool! I didn't realize Sir Isaac had done an IQ test.

Did he build the time machine or did some time traveler from our future go back and get him?

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 02:20 AM
link   
a reply to: rnaa

that's because the early "church" was created by Paul...

the founder of his "religion"

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon
[off topic]
One of these days someone needs to start a thread about the Apostle Paul.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 02:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Punisher75

Theres plenty bro...

pretty sure I even have a few

edit on 19-1-2016 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 02:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

Theres plenty bro...

pretty sure I even have a few

I am certain of it as this conspiracy theory as been around for awhile, however thread necromancy is generally frowned upon. I only suggest it cause it seems to be bleeding into threads that have nothing to do with, that peculiar understanding of the early christian church.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Well... the resurrection of threads can be touchy...

especially in the religion section

Though its not against the rules as long as its on topic...

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join