It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun ‘Seizure’ (Democrats) That Will Likely Send a Chill Down the Spines of Georgia Gun Owners

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

** Title of thread had to be shortened to fit / post **

Gun ‘Seizure’ Bill Introduced by Democrats That Will Likely Send a Chill Down the Spines of Georgia Gun Owners

Six Democrats in Georgia’s state House of Representatives unveiled a bill on Jan. 11 that would “require seizure” of “certain weaponry and ammunition” that is deemed as contraband, effectively banning “assault weapons” and “large-capacity magazines.”
In this photo illustration, a Rock River Arms AR-15 rifle is seen with ammunition on December 18, 2012 in Miami, Florida. The weapon is similar in style to the Bushmaster AR-15 rifle that was used during a massacre at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut. Firearm sales have surged recently as speculation of stricter gun laws and a re-instatement of the assault weapons ban following the mass shooting. (Credit: Getty Images)

Getty Images

HB 731, which is sponsored by Mary Margaret Oliver, Carolyn Hugley, Pat Gardiner, Stacey Abrams, Dar’shun Kendrick and Dee Dawkins-Haigler, would amend current law to “prohibit the possession, sale, transport, distribution or use of certain assault weapons, large capacity magazines, armor-piercing bullets, and incendiary .50 caliber bullets.”

The text of the bill goes on to say that certain weapons would be required to be seized by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, with increased penalties for use and possession of machine guns, among other related regulations.

Information posted to sponsor Oliver’s website clearly notes that HB 731, which was introduced on the first day of the 2016 session, would “ban assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.”

In the same statement, the Democratic representative made her stance on the sale of certain guns more than clear.

“Georgia needs debate about these weapons which are only used for rapidly killing people,” the statement read. “Assault weapons are not necessary for deer hunting.”

The text of HB 731 proclaims that the sale, possession or distribution of “any assault weapon” will come at a profound cost.

“No person shall possess, distribute, transport, transfer, or sell any assault weapon,” it reads. “Any person who distributes, transports, or imports an assault weapon into this state shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two nor more than ten years.”

The proposed bill goes on for almost two pages, explaining and specifically naming the types of guns that are included in the sponsors’ definition of an “assault weapon.” Here’s just a portion of that section of the bill:

Click link for remainder of article...

So it begins.. Part of me wonders if this is a test balloon for the white house. Introduce a gun confiscation bill in a southern state to see if it passes and see how its received by the people.

I think it wont be received well nor do I think it will pass. The text of the bill and the language used by the democrats when talking about the bill are curious. Using terms like we need a debate on the topic when it comes to guns that are used only to kill people. An interesting choice considering hunting in Georgia is like football in Texas.

I am curious to see what other executive actions will be taken by Obama on this topic since he knows gun control bills wont see the light of day. Push the agenda at the state level to bypass the federal congress...

Thoughts?
edit on 14-1-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-1-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Should start in Chicago because they don't have any because they are already illegal there. Georgia will be a tough sell too.

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
And I thought people were saying that no one is coming for our firearms.

The bill won't pass. But it is a clear reminder that there are forces in the country that do want gun confiscation. It's a reminder to remain vigilant in the face of those who want to further erode the 2nd amendment. Obama and Hillary will never come right out and say they'd support confiscation measures, but there's no doubt they'll do whatever they can behind the scenes to affect such a thing.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
As a Georgian, I can tell you this will never ever fly. We even have a number of statewide organizations such as Georgia Carry that use membership dues to actively fight legislation such as this.

I, for one, will not abide this law even if by some stupidly small chance it is passed.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Could be a "test" to measure reactions.

Obama is drooling with jealousy !!!!

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Where is the "They aren't trying to take your guns" crowd again? "Democrats just want sensible laws on the books" according to many. What a joke! The goal has been obvious to those paying attention, but the naysayers swear it's for the greater good, the children, crime prevention, yada yada BS.
It was, is, and always has been about incremental disarmament of the public by the left plain and simple. This bill proves that fact.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Keep poking that dog. I don't want to hear any crying when it snaps.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

The term "assault weapon" is too broad and unclear to allow that law to remain even if passed and signed by the governor.

So here is another bill that is written by those that don't really know their, excuse me, target. True, they may be out after all guns, but this is an inane way of going about it. This is a very common but not insignificant part of the problem in this argument over firearms.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
seeing as how the text used is the ignorant terminology that those who have no clue use, I doubt it will gain any traction at all.

They should have replaced "assault weapon" with "scary black rifle", at least then it would be technically accurate.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
This isn't going to pass. Anyone that lives in Ga knows this. The people who proposed the bill knows it's not going to pass.

What they do know is that a majority of the democrats in Ga want such a ban, so they're pandering to their voter base with a bill they know won't ever get passed. They can say "Look, I tried! It's those dirty republicans keeping this from happening. Just vote for me and I'll keep pushing the issue."

This state is gerrymandered out the ass to keep it a republican state, so democrats know they can submit laws like this with no hope of it pass just so they look good to the voters.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Six democrats.

Hardly a movement, is it?

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Six democrats.

if these are 6 random democrats from the state, then no, it's just more of a joke, but if these 6 are of the 14 state representatives from Georgia, then you would have to admit, this is at least important to the party in the state affected.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Six democrats.

its a bowel movement.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Democrats trying to ban something?

Color me surprised.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I have been around fire arms most of my life and have never seen a gun jump up and kill anyone. Most of the mass shootings that they use as an excuse to try and ban guns have more to the story(False Flag, mental illness,drug induced psychosis etc. This is ATS ya'll know what I mean.) . It's easier to control people that have no means of defense. Seems that through all this anti gun legislation that they're trying to pass that TPTB figure the more people they can get to voluntarily give up their guns, the less will have to be taken by force. It's a means of passive control. If that wont work they are willing to get aggressive. The things that are going on now are bigger than GA or US, this is global and affects humanity as a whole. Been in the works seemingly since before any of us were even here. Classic divide and conquer. What to do about it, that's the big

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Just more "liberals" trying to remove rights.

Yawn

Move along. . . . . .

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Gun ‘Seizure’ (Democrats) That Will Likely Send a Chill Down the Spines of Georgia Gun Owners

Good luck on that, besides that if such a bill was past it would turn into a blood bath when the first round of confiscations started. People round here are crazy!!!!

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

A lot of people want stuff. Me? I'd like to pierce the veil and storm the black city, but there is no such thing as magic.

In other words, just because 6 people want something doesn't mean they will get it. And even if they somehow did, where would they get the money to fund the confiscation teams? There are 10 million people in Georgia and over 8 million guns. There are likely 3.5 million households with guns in the state.

How many officers would it take to safely staff a seizure team? 12? 20? 30? How many homes can be searched by the average team in an average working day? Assuming these forces were somehow gathered and trained, how long would it take them to search every registered gun owner in Atlanta. let alone the rest of the state? How many decades, just to confiscate something that likely won't be there when you go looking for it?

The 6 are grandstanding. This is fantasy role-playing for gomers who were too dorky to geek out on something productive. There is no possibility -- short of divine intervention, or ET invasion -- that anyone can forcibly seize guns in Conyers, let alone the rest of the state.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Ha ha ha ha ha ha. Good luck with that one. Even if it does pass and makes it through the courts then you still gotta go door to door. Ha ha ha ha ha. Couple of homemade hand grenades or pipe bombs would make short work of a swat team coming in your door single file. Or they would get to a few neighborhoods then once word got out they were rounding up the guns the militias would form and start fighting. Wouldn't take long before any police force would be quickly overwhelmed and eliminated. They would need the UN for this and even they don't stand a chance.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

It doesn't matter whether it's only six people or whether they have the means to actually pull it off. The fact is they're trying. Whether it's grandstanding, political posturing, or a legitimate effort, they're using a real government process. It's a serious thing no matter how unlikely it is to pass.

It's by not taking the little stuff they try to pass seriously that you see magazine limits, no folding stocks, or no detachable magazines.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join