It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rumors Are Flying That We Finally Found Gravitational Waves

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: OneGoal

whenever i thought about wavelength, i thought it must be measured in km.

The shortest gravitational waves have wavelengths measured in kilometres. Thousands of kilometres.

You can see a diagram here.

That page, by the way, is a good, easy summary of the topic, much better than the Wikipedia entry on gravitational waves.

edit on 11/1/16 by Astyanax because: of thousands.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: MteWamp

LOL, I was being sarcastic. Yes typing on the phone is always a pleasure.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: buddha

How can they mesure gravity untill this?

Drop something dense whose mass m you know from a height h. Measure the time t it takes to fall to the ground. Use Newton’s formula

s = gt^2/2

to measure the acceleration g due to gravity.

Then use the formula

F = mg

(also Newton’s) to find the force of gravity.

Alternatively, measure the distance from the object of mass m to the centre of Earth. Call this distance r. Then the force of gravity is given by

F = GmM/r^2

where M is Earth’s mass and G is a numerical value known as the Gravitational Constant.

edit on 11/1/16 by Astyanax because: I thought everybody learned this stuff in school.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

As yet, no one has managed to show Einstein wrong.

Sir, I give you:

Niels Bohr
Wolfgang Pauli
Werner Heisenberg
Louis de Broglie
Erwin Schrödinger

‘God does not play dice.’

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Context. That being relativity and gravitation

But that was not a formal claim based on theory. More an expression of his distaste for the reliance of quantum mechanics on probabilities.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Cheers thanks for the link

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
a reply to: MteWamp

LOL, I was being sarcastic. Yes typing on the phone is always a pleasure.

Ahh. Understood. Sometimes it's hard to tell nowadays,

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   

But that was not a formal claim based on theory. More an expression of his distaste for the reliance of quantum mechanics on probabilities.

True, because Einstein was an honest man and an unyieldingly rigorous scientist.

Following the development of General Relativity, he spent the rest of his life trying to find a unified theory of physics that would eliminate quantum uncertainty. He never got anywhere with this — more fundamental forces and particles were being discovered as he grew older, making the quest increasingly futile — but he never let go of his conviction that the quantum mechanists were wrong. But they weren’t — he was.

You are quite right that relativity (both theories) have never been proved wrong, neither has (to my knowledge) any of his other published work.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   

The thought of spacetime being massless matter makes my head hurt.

Damn you gravitons!

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: grey580

What practical applications can be made out of this discover?

Other than, once again, showing that Einstein was right?
Gnarly barrels dude!

Meh, he is overated.

The real discoveries in science is happening on youtube but the establishment refuses to watch the videos.

Einstein couldn't get passed the law of physics,math and science , these guys on youtube don't let themselves be constraints by math ,science or physics.

An awful lot of YouTube "science" topics are just silly.

Generally, if someone states that something they can demonstrate is unexplained by science or not accepted by scientists, it indicates only that they don't know what is happening or are telling porkies or are in denial about the mundane nature of the phenomenon.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

As yet, no one has managed to show Einstein wrong.

Sir, I give you:

Niels Bohr
Wolfgang Pauli
Werner Heisenberg
Louis de Broglie
Erwin Schrödinger

‘God does not play dice.’

You forgot Einstein himself. All that mess about the cosmological constant.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   

You need an anti gravity bubble that is both repelled and pulled along at the same time so as to ride the wave so to speak...
Then if you can amplify the strength of your anti gravity bubble you will have the means for acceleration...
At the same time you would be immune to the g forces which impose boundaries for human bodies...
What's more you would have a greater then light speed capable time travelling machine...

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 04:13 AM
link   

The shortest gravitational waves have wavelengths measured in kilometres.

You keep taling about the properties of gravitational waves when they haven't even been proven to exist yet.

Can anyone explain how these waves keep me from foating of into space?

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 04:21 AM
link   
there's no such thing as gravity, or gravity waves

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Gravitational waves have a very large wavelength. You need something big to find them.

Right. I would say you have to find them first before you can make statements about their properties. What exactly are you basing your claims on about these waves that are yet to be proven to exist?

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 04:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
a reply to: mazzroth

Wow, for someone professing to be an electrical technician, you should re-read your manuals.
Tesla was a great engineer who perfected the mechanisms for domestic AC power distribution, however he certainly did not invent AC, no more than Edison invented DC.

I'm sure someone back in the stone age found a relationship between a spinning magnet and some ironstone ? but to build a machine to harness it for use is a totally different story. Don't be confused with discovered and invented ok.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: smurfy

Second hand gravity waves, and other stuff..perhaps.

A common misconception. Gravity waves are atmospheric waves. Unrelated to gravitational waves.

Correct!

Mind you, I liked the old term of Gravitational Radiation for Gravitational waves, much more scarrrrrry.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Granite
...including gravity being a freemason hoax on humanity.

Another of our nefarious plots exposed due to science. Curses, you pesky kids, get back in your van and leave us alone.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: mazzroth
I'm sure someone back in the stone age found a relationship between a spinning magnet and some ironstone ? but to build a machine to harness it for use is a totally different story. Don't be confused with discovered and invented ok.

Right!!!

That is why we should be thankful for Galileo Ferraris who had a working AC motor almost two years before Tesla.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Is the em drive tapping into this?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join