It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baboons Used Part Of Ancient Police Force:

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 02:30 AM
link   

No this is not a bow to the planet of the Apes but to the year of the Monkey, apparently the ancient Kemites made use of the Baboon as part of their police force, above is an ancient cop on the beat with his partner sizing the one that didn't get away.

It was thought that baboons were the first creatures to pay proper religious observances. There was a belief reported by some Classical writers that the most learned Egyptian priests understood the secret language of baboons, the natural language of true religion. It has been suggested that the Egyptians saw the shape of a baboon in the lunar disk in a manner similar to our “Man in the Moon.”

Due to its high intelligence, the Olive Baboon was associated with the god of wisdom, Thoth. Thoth himself was often represented as a baboon, and colossal statues of baboons flanked the entrance to Thoth's greatest temple at Hermopolis. Sacred baboons were kept in his temples and were worshiped as a form of the god. By the Late Period, titles such as “Priest of the Living Baboon” were held by individuals who served Thoth in his sanctuaries. These temple baboons often had individual names, and the baboons of the Ptolemaic Period buried at Saqqara had their genealogies inscribed on their coffins, along with their dates of birth and death.
cowofgold.wikispaces.com...

Analysis of mummified baboons in the British Museum has revealed the location of the land of Punt as the area between Ethiopia and Eritrea. To the Egyptians, Punt was a place of fragrances, giraffes, electrum and other exotic goods, and was sometimes referred to as Ta-netjer, or 'God’s land'.

There are several ancient Egyptian texts that record trade voyages to the Land of Punt, dating up until the end of the New Kingdom, 3,000 years ago. But until now scholars did not know where Punt was. Ancient texts offer only vague allusions to its location and no 'Puntite' civilization has been discovered. Somalia, Ethiopia, Yemen and even Mozambique have all been offered as possible locations.

However, it appears that the search for Punt may have come to an end according to new research which claims to prove that it was located in Eritrea/East Ethiopia. Live baboons were among the goods that we know the Egyptians got from Punt. The research team included Professor Salima Ikram from the Egyptian Museum, Cairo, and Professor Nathaniel Dominy and graduate student Gillian Leigh Moritz, both from the University of California, Santa Cruz.
www.independent.co.uk... ml

Welcome to the year of the Monkey.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 02:50 AM
link   
That's pretty interesting

I can only imagine the horrors of being chased down by an authoritative baboon.

Saw Gillian Leigh's name in there, if it's the same person, she also contributed to Primate Communication in the Ultrasound which is pretty interesting stuff if you're into primates.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 02:59 AM
link   
a reply to: twitchy

Yes she is the same person.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: twitchy
That's pretty interesting

I can only imagine the horrors of being chased down by an authoritative baboon.

Saw Gillian Leigh's name in there, if it's the same person, she also contributed to Primate Communication in the Ultrasound which is pretty interesting stuff if you're into primates.

Being a primatologist myself I know very well Gills work (and also aknowledge) the effort she has put into primate research over the years.

However... I am calling out on poppycock and poodlepoo to the original OP theory ((although I respect and understand your position) for the simple reason that I have studied baboon and primate (in general) behavioural patterns for over 27 years now and have collaborated on an international basis with many leading primatologists and not once is it possible to "tame" so to speak a baboon...(No matter what you may read in the MSM) in order that said primate will follow a humans orders to "police"...

Please do not ask me for my real name as I will not give... However, I can provide information via scientific databases if needed (but not right now as stuck for time)... PM me if required.

You can maintain an animal in place with environmental enrichment such as treats and games... BUT... they get quickly bored and revert back to their basic instinct of fighting and foraging...

You can rear a baboon from infancy, but it will always turn around one day and bite the hand of the so called "master"

To be continued once I have gone through all of my notes and stuff.

Kindest

Lags
edit on 7-1-2016 by Lagomorphe because: Terribly crap spelling...

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

i wonder what "doctor " deagle would say about this

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

Who is Doctor Deagle for us new members please? (Please don't feel obliged to respond as I am a new member here and I know that us new members are fairly frowned upon until we can show that we are worthy... but your response would be very much appreciated and respected as you are a respected contributing member?...)

Thank you in advance.

Kindest

Lags
edit on 7-1-2016 by Lagomorphe because: Crap editing... I am crap...

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Being a primatologist myself I know very well Gills work (and also aknowledge) the effort she has put into primate research over the years.

However... I am calling out on poppycock and poodlepoo to the original OP theory ((although I respect and understand your position) for the simple reason that I have studied baboon and primate (in general) behavioural patterns for over 27 years now and have collaborated on an international basis with many leading primatologists and not once is it possible to "tame" so to speak a baboon...(No matter what you may read in the MSM) in order that said primate will follow a humans orders to "police"

Hi Lagomorphe I know little or nothing about primates much less their behavior, and being that this is your field or expertise I am not prepared to challenge you on the above, however the wall is from Saqqara that clearly shows a female with infant and a male grabbing a thief this was meant to be part of the average day in ancient Kemet , and nothing exotic about Gods and such, however the below show a modern parallel but on the opposite side of the law.
Police arrest baboon owner for robbery

A man and his 10-year-old baboon were arrested by operatives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) of the Lagos State Police Command for robbery penultimate Monday. Twenty-seven-year-old Mohammed Nafiu and the ape named Miowu were arrested for conspiring with two others to snatch the sum of N230, 000 from a man on his way from a branch of a first generation bank in Ogba, Lagos. The suspects were said to have ridden in an unregistered Nisan Prima to a point beside the bank where they laid an ambush for the bank’s customers. Upon sighting the victim, who was said to have kept the said sum in a nylon bag, they brought out the baboon and walked towards him. As the victim advanced, Nafiu allegedly directed it to attack him and collect the money from him.

Terrified by the sight of the approaching ape, the victim was said to have abandoned the nylon bag containing the money and ran for dear life. The baboon was said to have handed the money over to Nura and both of them ran towards their vehicle. Unfortunately for Nura, some people who were watching the scene gave Nura and his ape a hot chase. Sensing danger, the two other suspects drove off and left them behind. Fearing that he might be attacked by the irate mob, Nura reportedly ordered his baboon to attack them. Scared by the baboon’s cry, the crowd dispersed. They however blocked all the escape routes open to Nura and his ape. As Nura contemplated the next thing to do, operatives of SARS arrived and ordered him to chain the baboon, after which both of them were arrested and taken to SARS headquarters in Lagos.
atqnews.com...

So if this guy can do it perhaps you are missing something.
edit on 7-1-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 04:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe

Who is Doctor Deagle for us new members please? (Please don't feel obliged to respond as I am a new member here and I know that us new members are fairly frowned upon until we can show that we are worthy... but your response would be very much appreciated and respected as you are a respected contributing member?...)

Thank you in advance.

Kindest

Lags

Didn't realize you were new... Welcome here. But I felt obligated to give you stars. Sorry about your flu. Did you use that Chipmunk in the last thread I was on, as part of getting to places to observe primates?
edit on 7-1-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Absolutely fascinating and also informing us where Punt probably was.

I like the difference between the Policeman's kilt and the robber seeming to be naked in the fresco, says a lot.

Those teeth! Imagine if one of those latched onto you - could they contribute to the origin of the fang myths I wonder?

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 04:57 AM
link   

I’m not sure a Nigerian newspaper is a reliable source of information. For that matter, I wouldn’t give credence to many Western newspapers. Anyway, the baboon in that report does not, reading between the lines, to have been very tame. It sounds like a scared part-domesticated animal reacting aggressively to a perceived threat (the angry bystanders).

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Police arrested said baboon under local culture... NOT to be confused with what WE in the Western society may "think" is right.

Kindest

Lags

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

originally posted by: Lagomorphe

Thank you in advance.

Kindest

Lags

Didn't realize you were new... Welcome here. But I felt obligated to give you stars. Sorry about your flu. Did you use that Chipmunk in the last thread I was on, as part of getting to places to observe primates?

No problems Bigs... may I call you Biggles ;-)

Unfortunately I didn't use the Chippy for primate studies... that was when I was part of the ATC 58th squadron in Harrogate, North Yorkshire wat back in the early 80s and training to be a wannabee RAF Pilot (that I never became by the way...)

Kindest

Lags
edit on 7-1-2016 by Lagomorphe because: Crap editing

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 05:05 AM
link   

"dr " deagle is an infamous walt who made hillarious claims of :

cyber baboon super soldiers with " nano " armour

you really cannot make this crap up - err ....................

ooops deagle can

i cannot locate one article that does his idiocy true justice - so just google :

" dr deagle " " cyber baboons "

exactly as typed above and be prepared for bat # crazyness

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 05:08 AM
link   
So if this is the Year of the Monkey, could this be the Year of Knowledge where Thoth calls out to his followers to take control of this ruined world and to make it better again ?

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Welcome to ATS, my leporine friend. If baboons can’t be tamed, what do you make of this?

The center’s private preserve is home to more than 400 baboons, according to its Web site. Some arrived as orphans or with injuries, and some wandered by as wild baboons attracted by their own kind. The center says the wild and tame baboons live together peacefully, which some people did not think possible.

And this?

In town, tame baboons are often kept, made fast to a pole...

What about this?

Before concluding these rough notes on natural history, I must add a few lines to describe our only pets, two tame baboons, named respectively Jack and Jenny...

Then, there’s this:

Tame baboons have often been deployed as shepherds, for example. Bushmanland poet and magistrate W C Scully came across a baboon that carried trays in a bar and “helped himself to drinks every now and then”.

Then there was the famous baboon signalman of Uitenhage. The stationmaster had lost both his legs and trained his pet baboon to man the points.

The baboon invariably pulled the right levers, then caught offerings thrown to him from train passengers (he adored candles). The ape worked as a signalman for nine years until he died in 1890.

I eagerly await your response. I shall be expecting cited sources for your claims. I should like to see them in the thread, not sent to me as personal messages. And don’t worry about your identity. We’re not curious.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

I’m not sure a Nigerian newspaper is a reliable source of information. For that matter, I wouldn’t give credence to many Western newspapers. Anyway, the baboon in that report does not, reading between the lines, to have been very tame. It sounds like a scared part-domesticated animal reacting aggressively to a perceived threat (the angry bystanders).

I donno he claimed he had it since it was 18 months old and raised it for 10yrs, also there seemed to be another Baboon thief

He said he had bought the baboon when it was only 18 months old with the aim of making more money by entertaining potential customers with it. But he later hit on the idea of robbing people by harassing them with the ape. Continuing, he said: “I later met a friend who also had a baboon and we started robbing people with the two baboons. We had earlier used a snake to rob a man of N2, 000 in Ogba and he did not resist
atqnews.com...

I am not sure if I would call the paper a National Enquirer type rag though, the story seemed pretty straight laced.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   

"dr " deagle is an infamous walt who made hillarious claims of :

cyber baboon super soldiers with " nano " armour

you really cannot make this crap up - err ....................

ooops deagle can

i cannot locate one article that does his idiocy true justice - so just google :

" dr deagle " " cyber baboons "

exactly as typed above and be prepared for bat # crazyness

Thanks my primate friend...

Much appreciated.

Kindest

Lags

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Nice...

I was awaiting a reply such as yours... for which I understand and respect...

However...

You are citing MSM articles and basic links aimed at the general public...

I am just discussing personal experience and if you ever have the possibility to take some time off to join me in a baboon pen this year or in the coming years (or even joining Baboons in the wild (I also work (ed) at Kruger National park)... then I think you would change your mind... Please feel free to PM me and I will invite you.

a reply to: Astyanax

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 05:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rapha
So if this is the Year of the Monkey, could this be the Year of Knowledge where Thoth calls out to his followers to take control of this ruined world and to make it better again ?

Could be wait for a year to see if anything changes.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 05:44 AM
link   

That won’t do, I’m afraid. To begin with, I live in South Asia, not South Africa. I was hoping you had something more solid for me than an appeal to personal experience.

On this site we have members who have ‘personal experience’ of government mind control, alien abduction, visitation by ghosts and demons, devices that produce more energy than they consume and many other prodigies and marvels.

You may well be right that in your own experience baboons cannot be tamed. How do we know that your personal experience applies to everyone? I know people that are good with dogs and people who can’t seem to do anything with them. Perhaps — who knows? — it is the same with baboons, and you’re one of those who simply lack the gift.

I confess I am rather surprised that anyone presenting themselves as a primatologist could make so dogmatic — and unprovable — a statement as ‘baboons cannot be tamed.’ First of all, it is an unfalsifiable statement and therefore an unscientific one. Second, ethology is a new and very uncertain science. I edited a book written by a cetologist a couple of years ago and was astonished by how little was really known about cetaceans. Admittedly primates are a little easier to study. Still, you ought to know better than anyone how very little reliable work exists in any field of ethology.

You have not succeeded in convincing me that baboons cannot be tamed.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join