It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baboons Used Part Of Ancient Police Force:

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Look in the right side upper corner. You will see an envelope that has turned white.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Please see the same one that has turned white on your side Bigs.

Kindest

Lags

a reply to: Bigburgh

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I was not insinuating that you came from South Asia or South Africa and don't understand why you are being so hostile?

But never mind... I understand that this is a culture thing and maybe a misunderstanding, so to avoid any embarrasement to both, I will send you a U2U to clear up the situation.

Kindest

Lags

a reply to: Astyanax

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   
personally I think even if you could tame the occasional babboon I doubt could tame enough of them to utilize them like k9 police force.

cyber babboons!!! holy crap. they finally completed secret govt. project 211. the "steel reserve" of the military. also, the technogy has migrated to the detroit police dept. they call them robobabboon. "eeiikk aikk akk!!!*" (buries fangs 2 inches into fleeing perps leg.)

* "Stop! You have the right to remain silent, before I show you some Detroit violence" in babboonese. ... according to ancient Egyptian manuscripts.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   

You can rear a baboon from infancy, but it will always turn around one day and bite the hand of the so-called "master"

When I read the OP, I was curious as to how they would train such a wild animal. Then, I read your post and the rest of the information provided, and I have a few questions I thought best directed at you.

What about conditioning a behavioural response in Baboons? such as Pavlovian conditioning.

If the ancients could, then could the baboons be used as a tool like is seen with most war animals of the past.

Let's not confuse the pet like relationships of Cops and Dogs today and understand that these animals were keep caged and the "masters" knew that if they were not careful they were dead meat.

I do understand what you are saying, Baboons are never going to be tame enough to be someone's pets. But, I think all animals can be conditioned to some degree.

Respectfully

Hubs

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: hubrisinxs

You can rear a baboon from infancy, but it will always turn around one day and bite the hand of the so-called "master"

When I read the OP, I was curious as to how they would train such a wild animal. Then, I read your post and the rest of the information provided, and I have a few questions I thought best directed at you.

What about conditioning a behavioural response in Baboons? such as Pavlovian conditioning.

If the ancients could, then could the baboons be used as a tool like is seen with most war animals of the past.

Let's not confuse the pet like relationships of Cops and Dogs today and understand that these animals were keep caged and the "masters" knew that if they were not careful they were dead meat.

I do understand what you are saying, Baboons are never going to be tame enough to be someone's pets. But, I think all animals can be conditioned to some degree.

Respectfully

Hubs

Pavlovian conditioning often associates training vs an environmental enrichment reward such as food/treats or toys.

Once the owner becomes "bored" so to speak of doing so (Which is often the case when the owner "thinks" the animal is trained and after the animal is no longer considered as "juvenile"), the animal will become bored and look for other types of environmental enrichment... often going back to primitive hunting/foraging instincts...

I have witnessed over the years, quite a few occasions leading to severe bite injuries in unsuspecting disrespectful "owners".

Baboons are not meant to be kept... Like any wild animal.

Kindest

Lags

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   

I am not sure if you caught my point. I am saying this is not an owner/pet relationship but zookeeper/caged wild animal.

I am not sure if I fall for the idea of policing baboons, but baboons could be used on occasions of war while the rest of the time kept in a zoo like environment where expendable slaves are used to feed the baboons. Could this be possible? We know they used lion's in some wars, so it's not a stretch to see them use other violent animals is a similar way.

and to note Baboons from that part of the world are kept in modern zoos all over the world

Example

Respectfully

Hubs

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   

but baboons could be used on occasions of war while the rest of the time kept in a zoo like environment where expendable slaves are used to feed the baboons. Could this be possible? We know they used lion's in some wars, so it's not a stretch to see them use other violent animals is a similar way.

Yes Hubs.

Baboons could probably be used as trained explosive/message carrying animals but however, as they are so unpredictable (compared to dolphins for example who are fairly placid animals) this would not be the preferred solution as things could "backfire" so to speak.

The attention level of a baboon (even after intensive training and left alone is estimated at roughly 10 to 30 minutes)

Kindest

Lags

edit on 7-1-2016 by Lagomorphe because: Crap editing

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
What about Jack the Signalman

Baboons certainly can be tamed. Even taught to run the signals on a railroad.

ETA some eye candy:

Jack was the pet and assistant of paraplegic signalman James Wide, who worked for the Cape Town-Port Elizabeth Railway service. James "Jumper" Wide had been known for jumping between railcars prior to an accident where he fell and lost both of his legs.[2] To assist in performing his duties, Wide purchased the baboon named "Jack" and trained him to push his wheelchair and to operate the railways signals under supervision.

An official investigation was initiated after a concerned member of the public reported that a baboon was observed changing railway signals at Uitenhage near Port Elizabeth.[3]

After initial skepticism, the railway decided to officially employ Jack once his job competency was verified. The baboon was paid twenty cents a day, and a half-bottle of beer each week. It is widely reported that in his nine years of employment with the railroad, Jack never made a mistake.

After nine years of duty, Jack died of tuberculosis in 1890.[3] His skull is in the collection of the Albany Museum in Grahamstown.

edit on 1/7/2016 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
What about Jack the Signalman

Baboons certainly can be tamed. Even taught to run the signals on a railroad.

Apart from the odd animal from time to time I agree with you large pilous primate :-)

Well spotted.

Kindest

Lags

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Year of the monkey - all hail ! :-)

They are seriously amazing...

They kidnap dogs to keep as pets - hard to watch at first but it gets better:

Some of these stories are hard to read -

But that’s because most people never met Jackie, the South African baboon. This little guy lived with a farmer named Albert Marr near the capital city of Pretoria. In 1915, Marr joined up with the Third South African Infantry Regiment to do his part in World War I, only he didn’t want to leave his pet at home. When Marr shipped out, he brought Jackie along with him, and the monkey quickly became the regimental mascot. Jackie was given his own uniform, received rations, and was even given his own pay book.

Jackie was pretty much the perfect soldier. He was trained to salute superior officers and learned how to stand at ease. On patrol, Jackie was an excellent watch monkey, and Albert often relied on his buddy’s eyes and ears.

This little rascal was some poor sailor’s pet, and evidently, he felt sorry for all those monkeys caged up below deck. Wanting to free his primate brothers, the baboon slipped down into the cargo hold and opened up the cages. With the door wide open, all 400 monkeys stormed the deck and took control of the ship. Like any good mutineers, the monkeys knew they needed weapons so they stole the ship’s belaying pins, scrambled up the rigging, and hurled the pins at any sailor who stuck his head outside his cabin.

Source

Was just looking for a story that I read a few years ago, but no luck so far. It's a kind of a tall tale - but I've heard similar stories before, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was true

It was told by a guy hunting baboons - who survived to tell his story (I have mixed feelings about that). He was following some baboons into some trees while they kept just ahead of him, leading him into a very dense part of the forest. Suddenly they became silent and were sitting just above watching him - and something - when he was charged by a leopard. They set him up

The internet is overflowing with baboon stories :-)

I'll stop here

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   

that is how you would domesticate a species, though. Find a few that are willing to get along with humans, and start a breeding program to isolate that tolerance.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   

I was not insinuating that you came from South Asia or South Africa and don't understand why you are being so hostile?

I am not being in the least hostile, I am merely disagreeing with your statement. I mentioned that I live in South Asia because it is the reason why I cannot come to Kruger National Park and have you show me how untameable baboons are.

Thank you for your U2Us. I now know who you are, but am no closer to being convinced that baboons are untameable.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   

that is how you would domesticate a species, though. Find a few that are willing to get along with humans, and start a breeding program to isolate that tolerance.

Some of the new world primates such as the Capuchin are actually used for working with handicapped people and can, if trained correctly, get along quite well with us.

www.spiegel.de...

I would not suggest trying to do the same thing with a larger old world primate such as the Baboon.

Kindest

Lags

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

I am not being in the least hostile, I am merely disagreeing with your statement. I mentioned that I live in South Asia because it is the reason why I cannot come to Kruger National Park and have you show me how untameable baboons are.

Thank you for your U2Us. I now know who you are, but am no closer to being convinced that baboons are untameable.

Dugghhhh.. my apologies for not understanding.

Kindest

Lags

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

One word..WOW!

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Well I've never seen no baboon moon!

SnF

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

yeah, im not likely to be trying to tame any primates beyond my own children any time soon.

That is hazardous enough, actually.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   

yeah, im not likely to be trying to tame any primates beyond my own children any time soon.

That is hazardous enough, actually.

Oh cripes... Tell me about it... Savages....

Kindest

Lags

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe

Some of the new world primates such as the Capuchin are actually used for working with handicapped people and can, if trained correctly, get along quite well with us.

www.spiegel.de...

I would not suggest trying to do the same thing with a larger old world primate such as the Baboon.

Kindest

Lags

I am still waiting for you to provide evidence that Baboons are are untrainable.

Oh and OP fascinating mural relief I never knew that Egyptians had Baboons in any sort of capacity...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join