It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump campaign says proposed UK ban over Muslim remarks 'a dangerous precedent'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Donald Trump’s campaign fired back Tuesday against a scheduled debate in the British parliament to discuss whether the Republican contender should be banned from entering the United Kingdom. British lawmakers will debate later this month whether Trump’s call for a temporary ban on Muslims entering the United States is a reason to prevent him from coming to Britain. “Westminster would create a dangerous precedent and send a terrible message to the world that the United Kingdom opposes free speech,” George Sorial, executive vice president and counsel for the Trump Organization, told Fox News in a statement.

Several British officials blasted Trump’s proposal following the Dec. 2 terror attack in San Bernardino, Calif., with Prime Minister David Cameron calling the idea “divisive, unhelpful and quite simply wrong" in a break from the convention that British officials keep their opinions about U.S. presidential candidates to themselves. Since Trump's remarks, two petitions have been circulated regarding his potential travel to the U.K. The first, with more than 560,000 signatures, calls for Trump to be banned from entering Britain. A rival petition with nearly 40,000 signatures, calls on officials to refrain from imposing a ban.

The House of Commons Petitions Committee said Tuesday that both petitions would be debated Jan. 18. Chairwoman Helen Jones said the debate "will allow a range of views to be expressed," and did not mean the committee supported a ban. The debate will not result in a binding vote. In response to the petitions, the British government said in a statement that while they don’t normally comment on individual exclusion decisions, Home Secretary Teresa May could ban someone if she “considers their presence in the UK to be non-conducive to the public good”.

www.foxnews.com...

I agree with Mr. Trump and do not see why the UK should become involved with American politics. It is clear there are many in the UK that do not like TRUMP well I don't care for royalty of any means. There was a time in history where a monarchy had its purpose but is no longer required when countries have a ruling government. Today it is nothing more than a tax burden on its citizens. Most monarchies including UK'S monarchy have violated as many humanitarian laws and genocide upon its own people and those from other lands and were never held responsible. Today the Queen of England and its royals have land that does not belong to them.... previous royals have stolen the land by murdering innocent civilians meanwhile the Queen of England lives in a 775 room building called the Buckingham palace, not counting the numerous palaces and homes around the world. I could think of a thousand ways to get better use of the Buckingham palace than for what it is currently being used for.

To me this much worse than anything TRUMP said BUT I don't interfere with UK politics or bring up UK's ugly past which is just as bad as any other dictator and lets not forget how long the many king's and queens have ruled over England in its past.

So how about this......UK citizens concern yourself with your own politics and issues (and you have just as many troubling issues as any other country) and we will keep our nose out of yours.

What do you think?

edit on 6-1-2016 by DeathSlayer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Whatever the rights or wrongs of the proposed banning, I don't see that it would require a Parliamentary vote.
Surely a decision by the Home Secretary would be enough?
So giving it a Commons debate turns it into another publicity gesture.

P.S. Now that I look at the link, I see that it's about debating petitions. That's a kind of rationale. But debating online petitions is a new development, so it doesn't entirely remove the grounds for my first reaction.
edit on 6-1-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Just remember that the vast majority of Britons did NOT sign that idiotic petition.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Like a lot of things in the UK. Most of the people who signed that simply signed it because it was the "Cool" thing to do that week.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
Just remember that the vast majority of Britons did NOT sign that idiotic petition.

Of course they didn't

BUT over 500,000 did and to me that is one large petition! I wonder what is the driving force?

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer
As Brace22 said, lots probably because they thought it was cool, some just to be mischievous and some are just brainwashed by the whole cultural Marxist thing that seems to swamp education and the media these days.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Politically, we (UK) should not be involved in your (US) politics, and vice versa. There will always be crossover but poking noses into other country's b'niss is always going to cause friction. You ain't us, we ain't you. Let's just leave it there.

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer

What do you think?

What do I think ?Our borders OUR rules.

Were are not taking your freedumb away to vote for any of the Buffoon on offer in your next election. So no we are not interfering. Just excising our own border control rights.

I would think you Trumpeters would be supportive seeing as there main platform is border control.

Ironic....Trumps wants a unrealistic ban of a entire religion from US entry and that’s ok.....we discuss banning one person you lose your #

edit on 6-1-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer
Most monarchies including UK'S monarchy have violated as many humanitarian laws and genocide upon its own people and those from other lands and were never held responsible. Today the Queen of England and its royals have land that does not belong to them.... previous royals have stolen the land by murdering innocent civilians meanwhile the Queen of England lives in a 775 room building called the Buckingham palace, not counting the numerous palaces and homes around the world.

The USA cant speak.....Not when George W Bush and Dick Cheney are wandering around free, living on there huge ranches paid for by blood money

UK monarchy has been a puppet and powerless figure head for over 250 years.
They haven’t done anything, it been our elected parliament that has made past decisions.

Thats the great thing about a constitutional monachy. The PM can be a right twat, but instead of him and the people that voted him in that get blamed the monacrch who has the power of a wet fart gets the flack.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I have to agree with the irony in this.

Trump talked about banning millions from the US and that is fine, the UK looks at banning one person and he gets all upset about it.

As to involvement in US politics I do not think this the case, banning him from the UK would not affect his ability to be President so I fail to see how it is relavant.

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:40 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

We do not permit hate preaching in our nation, from any sphere. We spend years, and quite a bit of money and other resources, ensuring that anyone who preaches hate gets deported to wherever they came from, and also try to prevent their arrival if possible. Our definition of what constitutes hate speech may differ from that of our friends across the pond and clearly differs between people here in Britain.

However, if the people wish to see this issue debated in parliament, then it damned well ought to be.

In my opinion, I would rather drink acid, and eat raw uranium than have that awful bloody economic thug in my nation. The man is an oxygen thief, not to mention bordering on being a mobster. To hell with him, and his entire misbegotten campaign.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

I have to agree with the irony in this.

Trump talked about banning millions from the US and that is fine, the UK looks at banning one person and he gets all upset about it.

As to involvement in US politics I do not think this the case, banning him from the UK would not affect his ability to be President so I fail to see how it is relavant.

Doesnt affect his free speech either.

We are not saying he cant do his mad rantings, we are not saying we will censor them. Just he cant do it within our borders.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Quite frankly I would happily ban all American politicans from UK soil.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:48 AM
link   
It is probably also worth mentioning that the UK is probably the most Politically Correct country on the planet now. So one slight word out of line, by anyone, anywhere... Then all the middle class stay at home dads and mums and students and bored rich people will shoot you down because it offended someone that doesn't even care.

Sorry if that is a little harsh. But political correctness over here has become a joke. And the whole PC band wagon is probably what stemmed this petition that has absolutely no business with even existing.

If an MP over here said something like that, then yes, I would probably sign the thing, but it's not our business to interfere.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: brace22

Not sure how it is "interfering".

No one is saying trump can’t spout his views, no one sayings Americans can vote for thr moron. We are not supporting any US candidate.

We are just saying he can enter UK borders.

That doesnt stop gullible dip#s in the USA voteing for him does it if they want to?

Entry to the UK is a privilege not a right for non UK citizens and can be revoked at any time for any reason.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

I'd rather ban most of ours , it would do more good

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Not to mention the free speech of over half a million UK voters.

I think that our government actually taking it on board is a refreshing change.

It is just a shame they do not listen to the people they are paid to represent more often.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:55 AM
link   

I agree we are not withholding his freedom of speech. But think about it...

This guy has said something that yeah, was IMHO pretty stupid, but why waste time in Westminster discussing this guy when there are far more important things to be discussing.

People all over the world say much worse things than what Trump said on a daily basis, shall we stop them from entering to?

I am not trying to argue with you, I just think he isn't worth the time

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: brace22

I agree we are not withholding his freedom of speech. But think about it...

This guy has said something that yeah, was IMHO pretty stupid, but why waste time in Westminster discussing this guy when there are far more important things to be discussing.

People all over the world say much worse things than what Trump said on a daily basis, shall we stop them from entering to?

I am not trying to argue with you, I just think he isn't worth the time

It could be seen as a preventative measure.

What would happen if he said something while over here and was arrested and charged?

That would be arqward

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

originally posted by: crazyewok

I'd rather ban most of ours , it would do more good

Unfortunatly they are UK citizens so have rights

<<   2  3  4 >>

join