It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel bans novel on Arab-Jewish love story

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Israel's Ministry of Education has banned a novel that portrays a romantic relationship between an Israeli woman and a Palestinian man on the grounds that it "threatens Jewish identity" and encouraged "miscegenation."

The book was supposed to be taught in advanced literature classes in secondary schools across the country, following a recommendation by a professional committee of academics and educators.

It is the first time in the country's history that the ministry disqualifies a book despite the decision of the official responsible for literature instruction in secular state schools.

"Intimate relations between Jews and non-Jews threaten the separate identity of each sector," the Education Ministry said in a statement.

Israel bans novel on Arab-Jewish love story

I not surprised at this news but it saddens me. Government censorship of freedom of expression in education.

The ministry's letter contained some points in favor of adding the book to the curriculum but it was felt that the book would cause the opposite of its intended aim.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Know your place gentile.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I'm confused have they banned the book in Israel or just in the classrooms ?

There's quite a difference

grounds that it "threatens Jewish identity" and encouraged "miscegenation."

If I wanted to be labelled anti-semetic I'd say that sounds like racism

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech
I'm confused have they banned the book in Israel or just in the classrooms ?

There's quite a difference

grounds that it "threatens Jewish identity" and encouraged "miscegenation."

If I wanted to be labelled anti-semetic I'd say that sounds like racism

Because it is.....

But holocaust, persecution, everyone hates us, therefore WE CAN DO WHATEVER WE WANT didn't you know?

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   

The book, "Borderlife," by the Israeli author Dorit Rabinyan, tells the story of Liat, an Israeli translator, and Hilmi, a Palestinian artist, who meet in New York and fall in love.

Well, they most likely made the author very rich. Now everyone will buy it since it is only banned in the classroom! Yeayyyyyy freedom.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: deliberator

Fifty Shades of Oy-Vey?

edit on 31/12/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

WOW - some individuals need to understand that the instinctual love between 2 people is not governed by the laws of men but the laws of attraction.

These same individuals need to also build a bridge and get over it already and come join the 21st century.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Israel has banned Palestinians from the land of Palestine, so this is hardly shocking.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

WOW - some individuals need to understand that the instinctual love between 2 people is not governed by the laws of men but the laws of attraction.

These same individuals need to also build a bridge and get over it already and come join the 21st century.

Can the same argument be used for gay marriage?

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Remember that one time books were burnt? What followed led to "never forget". Pretty f'd up when it comes full circle eh? Some of us truly will never forget. This is coming from an ex JDL contributor. I only wish I knew and saw then what I see and understand now... I for one will never forget that I was sucked in to the chosen people bull as a kid....

And I will rectify that period of my life hopefully soon. By teaching my daughter the meaning of genocide and apartheid.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Banning a book will get israelis and Palestinians to stop knockin boots?
Im confused.
at least its great advertising?

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Thats about as idiotic as Hamas canceling new year festivities...

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Reminds me of a movie, Hanna K., which has all but disappeared.

Its about an Israeli lawyer who is trying to defend Palestinian's right of return to his family's home and ancestral property.

IMDB: Hanna K.

Hanna K.

One Chicago distributor commented off-the-record that while it could not be proven that the film was pulled because of political pressure, distributors “understood” that the film was unacceptable to supporters of Israel, who have many friends and are themselves important in the entertainment industry.

The director’s wife commented: “in the United States, a Universal tour that was to have encompassed New York, Boston, Washington, Chicago, and San Francisco was dropped at the last moment and a two-week run in New York substituted.

Costa-Gavras gave scores of interviews to journalists and critics and began to notice a common thread. ‘They would come in and say that while they didn’t have political objections, a friend or relative had seen the film and thought it was anti-Israeli.

edit on 1-1-2016 by gladtobehere because: typo

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   

The only reason to ban a book is because one might be afraid of its content.
Miscegenation is a threat to the jewish identity as of the far-right zionist perspective and the fact the book is being targeted is another sign of fascism going mainstream in the Israeli society.

Here is a collection of actions carried by anti-miscegenation groups in recent times :

Jewish anti-miscegenation groups distribute racist, sexist flyers

Court to allow anti-Arab protest outside Jewish-Palestinian wedding

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: theultimatebelgianjoke

The second link you gave is interesting. Publishing it on Facebook with details of the venue and date is an invasion of privacy. I wonder how many actually turned up?

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Typical Israeli anti-semitism, from the statre guilty of the highest volume of anti-semitic acts.

Israel is the worst Anti-Semitic offender in the Middle East, and quite possibly the world.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
So the promoters of people being equal among races and says it's good for everyone else to mix with other races are the ones who like to segregate and forbid any type of race mixing in their culture..... Interesting, not surprising...

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: DuckforcoveR
Remember that one time books were burnt? What followed led to "never forget". Pretty f'd up when it comes full circle eh? Some of us truly will never forget. This is coming from an ex JDL contributor. I only wish I knew and saw then what I see and understand now... I for one will never forget that I was sucked in to the chosen people bull as a kid....

And I will rectify that period of my life hopefully soon. By teaching my daughter the meaning of genocide and apartheid.

I went to a book burning that my parents took me to around 1980 or so when I was about five years old in Honolulu. They also burned a lot of records of "secular" music, especially rock music. They were following a scripture or story in the Bible in the New Testament where a bunch of Christians burned their magical scrolls after they converted.

People were throwing their books and records in a big fire in the parking lot of the Assembly of God church we went to.

I asked my mom why they were doing it, and she said, "Those books are records are bad. They are from The Devil, so they have to get rid of them."

On the book banning, what a bunch of BS. Israelis and Palestinians falling and love and having kids together could be a major factor in solving the crisis.

posted on Jan, 1 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist
Typical Israeli anti-semitism, from the statre guilty of the highest volume of anti-semitic acts.

Israel is the worst Anti-Semitic offender in the Middle East, and quite possibly the world.

Good point. Jews are not the only Semites.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   
who would doubt, for them it is a great abomination than the cartoons of the Prophet and charlie hebdo which should be in each house

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join