It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to announce new executive action on guns

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
This

his new gun control announcement will include new funding for government agencies to better enforce existing gun laws.

Is the only thing he needs to do. More words on a page are not going to fix anything.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Yea...and he's gonna shat if he eats regular. Obama is a waste of an American President.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
And, just as any law which the SCOTUS deems unconstitional will be invalidated, so can executive orders.

Executive orders, like other rules issued by the federal government, are subject to judicial review. A significant example of the Supreme Court striking down a president's executive order came about in 1952. In Youngstown Sheet & Tube Co. v. Sawyer, the court held struck down Executive Order 10340, issued by President Harry Truman, which ordered Secretary of Commerce Charles Sawyer to seize control of a majority of the nation's steel mills in anticipation of a steelworker strike during the Korean War. The court held that President Truman lacked the constitutional or statutory power to seize private property.

jurist.org...

So, before going and putting a cart in front of a horse and assuming we know the content of the order, be assured that it will be ruled upon by the Court. Because that is their job.

From your link:

On July 30, 2014, the US House of Representatives approved a resolution that allowed Speaker John Boehner to sue President Barack Obama over an executive order the president issued altering the timing requirements for implementation of the Affordable Care Act (ACA). The order delayed implementation of certain aspects of the ACA, notably a mandate on employers who did not provide health care coverage. The suit claimed that President Obama's executive powers did not authorize the changing of such a provision. To date, however, the Supreme Court is yet to hear a challenge to any executive order made by President Obama.

My bolding.

So we see how that is going.

I doubt his EO will have NAY (yes, NAY) effect on gun crimes in his home state or any of the killing sprees committed by the insane monsters that seem to be multiplying like rabbits. But like the CNN article says,

"The fact is, the President's gun control agenda will only make it harder for law-abiding citizens to exercise their right to self-defense," NRA spokeswoman Jennifer Baker.

edit on 31-12-2015 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

ETA:

I wonder why the above was in the article. Because here, I see that is a false statement.

Supreme Court Strikes Down Obama's Unconstitutional Executive Overreach 9–0

Jun. 26, 2014 10:55 am

reason.com...

Researching.

AAAAAaaaaaaaand, it was not a false statement. Wasn't an EO. Hmmmm.

In the case concerning the National Labor Relations Board, for example, the issue was the president’s power to make appointments. There was no executive order issued that named individuals to positions to the board.
www.politifact.com...

So, back to my original statement on your post:

So we see how that is going.

edit on 31-12-2015 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
If I had to guess, I'd say that the Obama admin will try to make private sales between individuals illegal.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

And yet, it still will not stop private individuals from selling to each other, and people will still be shooting people next year, and the year after, and the year after that, and so on and so on.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

They could simply just ask if you are a criminal.

They also have to ask if you if you are crazy

If they just make it illegal to possess a firearm if you are a felon should do it.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

a reply to: Iamnotadoctor

I'm wondering if you read the article I linked.

I did. There is no explanation of what that means. There actually seems to be nothing but speculation about the content of the order.

It's not an 'order' my friend. It's an 'action'.
I made that very clear from the start.
Look into that parameter...

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: openyourmind1262
Yea...and he's gonna shat if he eats regular. Obama is a waste of an American President.

He has definitely not lived up to his expectations. Seems quite corrupt as usual to be honest. Pfthhh, this is always the case it seems.

The only option left is to stop voting. We have seen that no matter who gets into power, its the same #e every time.

To change it we need to be extreme, if enough people abstain from the voting process, they will have to change their ways. Politics seems to be a divide and conquer tactic, nothing more. Voting is just participation in their stupid corrupt system and just legitimises it. We need to stop playing their games. Not just the US but most countries. We need to get our planet back and these current world leaders are destroying it, whoever we vote for.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist

And yet, it still will not stop private individuals from selling to each other, and people will still be shooting people next year, and the year after, and the year after that, and so on and so on.

Oh, I know. It would do absolutely nothing to curb gun violence, but it would remove more freedoms from people who followed the law.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
You're correct. And there is a difference.

Executive actions are any informal proposals or moves by the president. The term executive action itself is vague and can be used to describe almost anything the president calls on Congress or his administration to do.

But most executive actions carry no legal weight. Those that do actually set policy can be invalidated by the courts or undone by legislation passed by Congress.

uspolitics.about.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

You're correct. And there is a difference.

Executive actions are any informal proposals or moves by the president. The term executive action itself is vague and can be used to describe almost anything the president calls on Congress or his administration to do.

But most executive actions carry no legal weight. Those that do actually set policy can be invalidated by the courts or undone by legislation passed by Congress.

uspolitics.about.com...

Congratulations.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Executive action: a fancy name for the president's opinion.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Executive action: a fancy name for the president's opinion.

Exactly.

It's freaking words about words about words that haven't even been uttered yet. Who gives a crap?

ETA - though I will point out the article, and others I've seen, continually refer to the coming "statements" as executive orders. And quote a White House spokesman as saying Dear Leader wanted "a list of steps he can take on his own" in relation to gun control by the beginning of 2016. So I think we'll be seeing actual executive orders, as opposed to pure opinion pieces.

Something I'm confident the OP is aware of but chose to go down the whole "it's just an action, that's different" route.
edit on 31-12-2015 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

Whatever you feel about the 2nd amendment and the gun debate this is still king Obama issuing commands to his serfs. Maybe we should let our elected representatives vote instead of executive orders

Do you understand why the second amendment was created ?

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   

part of the problem seems to be is that Congress isn't voting on anything important as to direction to fix the country. Mostly just helping the payers get more money.

All their talk of changes for the betterment of the American citizen, it's just hot air.
edit on 12/31/2015 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
How many more months does obama have left to get your guns, king obama lol.

Obama has been the biggest seller of guns since for ever, man thats the funniest thing ive read in years.

Hes pandering to his team, just like the right cry about abortions.

Can wait for the day that emperor lol obama leaves offices, alot of people will have to find new excuses.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Good news for gun manufacturers and gun shop owners, sales are expected to rise yet again with this new executive order!

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamnotadoctor
Destined to strike fear into gun toting citizens.
I personally agree with any new legislation that curbs deaths.
Background checks as a pre-requisite are so ridiculously logical and NEEDED.
I find it hard for anyone to disagree with such actions.
Any thoughts?

President Barack Obama is expected to announce in the coming days a new executive action with the goal of expanding background checks on gun sales, people familiar with White House planning said. Described as "imminent," the set of executive actions would fulfill a promise by the President to take further unilateral steps the White House says could help curb gun deaths.

edition.cnn.com...

Um...background checks already happen.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Obama has almost everything handed to him and the DNC on a platter via Congress.

Many people call the Repubs "Obstructionists". Truth is, all the major bills that the Dems wanted, have been passed with the help of GOP enablers in record fashion.

And yet, Obama still injects "Executive Privilege" when he can't get ENTIRELY what he wants.

May the next President strike down every EO since Eisenhower and start over. I'm sick of living in a country where Executive Decree is used so blatantly. Obama even touts it as de facto method in itself of 'fixing the nation'.

posted on Dec, 31 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: brancolinoxx
being British I dont understand the gun culture you have there. But, I have to admit , the govt. there seem to have a serious agenda. Something is up. I honestly believe they are not trying to take your guns for the reasons they are stating. If you trust your govt. then there is no problem, but they are not to be trusted, what govt is?. This has been proven many times with the current admin. Gun free is great, but in the US it is totally different from here. Your culture is more aggressive than other countries and although I believe guns are not good, I also believe the US govt are deceptive (as are most govts.)

Just be careful what you agree to. I love americans as I know most are just good people trying to support their families. But you are different to most other countries....be careful. Thats all I have to say.

Happy new year anyway. I hope you all have a great 2016.

The right to bear arms, which is covered in the second amendment to the Constitution, is still under debate for clarity and scope. However, it has it's roots in the rather huge skirmish we had with you guys back in the 18th century.

And no, governments cannot be trusted in many aspects that concern the well-being of their citizens. We both know that all to well in history, especially between our two great countries. There is nothing that can suit all of the people all of the time and political and private biased interests will always be a detriment to our true freedom.

Personally, I support the decision for any qualified adult citizen to own a weapon, for their personal protection as well as their families, as long as strict safety measures are maintained in their storage. Qualified means no felony records, no history of severe mental illness, passing a background check that would clear them of membership in subversive organizations and of course, any links to known terrorist organizations or personnel.

In addition, assault class weapons that are primarily designed for military applications should not be own-able by any private citizen, irregardless of who they are. I think it only makes common sense.

So , happy New Year to you as well, and yes, I hope for a much more peaceful 2016.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join