It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remedy for Acid Reflux

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I am one of those persons who hates taking medications for my ailments.

I like many when we lay down at night tend to get a little Acid Reflux in our throats. Even modifying my diet didn't seem to remedy the situation.

I was speaking to my Naturalpathic Doctor and she suggested something she said works well for a number of her clients.

She said when people lay down they tend to just prop their head with a pillow this does not allow the lower esophageal sphincter to close properly. She suggested to place the pillow just under the shoulders when laying on your back. (I don't have the problem when on my side). So as I laid down on my back pillow only supporting my head up came the acid reflux. I quickly scooted up so the pillow was under the top part of my shoulders and instantly the reflux stopped. It seems this pillow position helps the lower esophageal sphincter to close all the way and she said in some clients it helped them not to snore as well.

I no longer need to take Zantac or other natural antiacid treatments.

edit on 23-12-2015 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
A ghost pepper whole just before bed helps too.
I only get it when I eat late at night so that is there too.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Stay away from political forums.....

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Bicarbonate of soda.

Ive been using it for years.
Borwicks is best.

Ive tried gaviscon when my mrs was pregnant
it was only a short fix.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

cannabis - it cures EVERYTHING* .

* except terminal sarcasm

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
A spoonful of sodium bicarbonate in a half glass of water. Chug it down. A minute or so later you'll rip a burp and your stomach will be at ease.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Ismynameimportant

Baking Soda is one of the natural ways but even then I would be refluxing baking soda.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
TUMS work as well as anything over-the-counter.
I was involved with a creative session with one of the pharmaceutical companies that produce a well-known acid reflux product.
Corporate secret: their advertising people all know Tums does exactly the same thing as their product...at a fraction of the cost.
edit on 23-12-2015 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Have you read of Barrets disease.

Barrett's esophagus is a serious complication of GERD, which stands for gastroesophageal reflux disease. In Barrett's esophagus, normal tissue lining the esophagus -- the tube that carries food from the mouth to the stomach -- changes to tissue that resembles the lining of the intestine

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Acid reflux is not caused by acidic foods it is caused by a physical condition that does not allow the lower esophageal sphincter to close properly.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

yeah they work but you don't want to have to take them for years and years.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ismynameimportant
Bicarbonate of soda.

Ive been using it for years.
Borwicks is best.

Ive tried gaviscon when my mrs was pregnant
it was only a short fix.

Yeppers.
Baking soda.
I use a teaspoonful in a drinking glass full of water, then BUUUUUUUURP! Heartburn is gone.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Could be a stomach ulcer

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Ismynameimportant

It has already been determined I don't suffer from GERD's. I have a friend who does and even with the pillow adjustment he still need to take medications.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

nope no ulcer. I can eat Habenaro Chilies no problem

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

again this issue is not about heartburn a much as it is the position of the body that allows the closing of the lower esophageal sphincter. If it closed properly it wont develop into GERD's

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Cook with natural fats (butter, lard, etc.) instead of margarine. My Mother had stomach reduction surgery and was told by her doctor to do this. She lived with me at the time and did the cooking. Before she changed, I used to eat Pepcids like they were candy.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
Cook with natural fats (butter, lard, etc.) instead of margarine. My Mother had stomach reduction surgery and was told by her doctor to do this. She lived with me at the time and did the cooking. Before she changed, I used to eat Pepcids like they were candy.

we are butter cookers too. Definitely don't cook with Soybean, Corn or Safflower oil as recent studies show they create toxins. Canola or Coconut seems to be the oils of choice today.

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Place two 8 inch by 6 inch by 6 inch wooden blocks under the headboard posts. This will elevate your head enough to keep the stomach acid from rising. A doctor told me to do this and it eliminated my reflux. YMMV...

posted on Dec, 23 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
The problem with acid reflux is if you have been having it for a while the acid damages the lower esophageal sphincter which usually keeps the acid from leaking upwards from the stomach. so short term temporary remedies never cure the problem long term.

What you need is a course of strong proton pump inhibitors to reduce the overall amount of stomach acid for up to a month so the lower esophageal sphincter has time to heal. You also have to alter your diet during this time to help things along. A lot of people start taking them and after 1 week think they are cured and start eating all the wrong foods again and stop the healing process. Also a lot of people refuse to give up smoking during the course which will increase acid and get in the way of the healing.

You can only take these meds for 1 month because after that the stomach will start to compensate and produce even more acid. This is why sporadically taking weaker ant-acids or baking soda never work long term either. They don't reduce acid enough for 24hrs to allow the healing.

edit on 23-12-2015 by MrMasterMinder because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join