It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think people are confusing PC with manners

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

From what I've seen and experienced, it's those who think they are being PC (and therefore forcing their own views on others because of PC) that are the rudest and ill-mannered.

can you give us an example?

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I'm thankful that there are people that recognize the difference between common decency and mandatory political correctness. Nowadays, if I mildly speak out against the rampant use of racial slurs or blatant rudeness, I get called PC, liberal, social justice warrior, and the like. It's like so many people are proud to be programmed by the media, and have forgotten to look at the big picture or feel some connection to anything outside of their own egos.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: OpenMindedRealist
Does a free society shun people who don't exercise "good manners?" Should such people be shouted down, or silenced by force? Should they be villified by the MSM and SJW's to the point that they lose their jobs or their businesses fail?

Because that is what modern political correctness has become, and that's why it flies in the face of the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

I assume that's also why everyone I talk to in the real world is sick of the PC nonsense.

Not forced. But shunned? Yes. Shouted down? Sure. Told they are jerks? I hope so.

If they are high profile, they should know even better the consequences of what they publicly say that is offensive.

So, calling out people who are jerks is suddenly 'flying in the face of the 1st Amendment'? You have it backwards.

The 1st Amendment is does not say anything about calling out jerks. It is about the protection of all speech, offensive or not, from government infringement. My point was that free speech laws are superficial if society does not tolerate potentially offensive speech. Keep in mind, all speech is potentially offensive to someone.

Instead of attacking a person who shares bad ideas, why not prove them wrong with facts? If that's too difficult, ignore them.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
There seems to me to be a huge confusion on politically correctness and just plain manners.

However there is manners and bending over backwards. When the informed talk about political correctness, its normally regarding seeing our freedoms disappear from below our feet. It is not generalization, that only comes from those misinformed but with good intentions, however not knowing the ins and outs of a problem (as not everyone has enough time to sit down and study each and every religion and race) they tend to get things a little wrong. Just like a homeless person, you may be annoyed when you see them go on about being on the street, the question should be asked, why in earth is one of the richest countries in the world suffering from mass loss of faith in the country they was born.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I suffer from white guilt.

Every time I have to point out to a black person who wants slave reparations, that as descendant of Irish origin, I am all for slave reparations since so many more white Irish were held as slaves/indentured servants than blacks ever were.

Still waiting on that check.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

You're dead on about that one.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

Thier are historical reports that typically very dangerous work was always given to Irish indentured servants becuase if and when it killed them it was less a set back than to lose a black slave becuase the black slave was actual property and you wouldn't want to damage or destroy something of value, whereas Irish were eminently replaceable therefore worth less. Also this ownership of slave grievance by black people has to end. Every people on the planet suffer slavery at some point. Slavery was not a phenomenon restricted to the Americas or practiced only by europeans. Nothing is more dangerous than people who think they are victims, have a grievance and beleive you are some how personally responsible and need to answer up for it or take a beating for it.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

NET- a bag or other contrivance of strong thread or cord worked into an open, meshed fabric, for catching fish, birds, or other animals: Unfortunately humans are the other animals- anything you do or say can and will be held against you----never for you.

WEB- a network of fine threads constructed by a spider from fluid secreted by its spinnerets, used to catch its prey. a complex system of interconnected elements, especially one perceived as a trap or danger.

net FRAME work or FRAME- a structure for admitting or enclosing something- form, constitution, or structure in general; system; order. to contrive, devise, or compose, as a plan, law, Informal: to incriminate (an innocent person) through the use of false evidence, information, etc

Fkem
We saving them for last.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
[P]olitical [C]orrectness… [P]ressure to [C]onform, by the majority.

Its not law, just "correct", i.e., coercion.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I work with the disabled and some of them have the largest hearts I've ever encountered. Its not them that are disabled but the larger portion of the human race that thinks they aren't.

I would applaud your thread if I knew how.

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   

I have to say that I agree with the OP. I would pretty much define PC the way you do. Some people are assholes, and absolutely believe they should be free to BE assholes, but if you ARE being an asshole, you should be prepared to be called on it, and be prepared for any repercussions.

Some other things that I vehemently disagree with, and would consider PC:

Participation trophies in children's sports, "Because all children should Win!"
Not keeping score in sports, because "All kids are winners".

No. all kids are NOT winners. Some kids SUCK at sports, welcome to the real world.
Also, doing either of the above to keep children's FEELINGS from being hurt. No. Children NEED to experience hurt feelings, because sometimes adult life can be REALLY hard, and RARELY fair, and you know what these "Special Llittle Snowflakes" (or SLSs as I like to call them) that don't know how to deal with those feelings grow up to be? MORE PC whining ADULTS.

That's why they want "Safe Spaces" and why they don't understand how important the 1st amendment is, and that sometimes you HAVE to deal with "Hurtful Speech" because in order to curb "Hurtful Speech", then you also have to curb other types of speech that MUST be allowed in a free society.

Another example of out of control political correctness is OFFENSE. Freedom from being offended is NOT an inalienable human right. I'm very sorry to break such heart wrenching news, but it's the truth. If I say something that offends you, maybe you are too easily offended. Demonstrate a little backbone, chill out a bit, and consider the possibility that maybe you were one of those kids that received way too many participation trophies when you were young, and maybe you just have a serious lack of emotional fortitude.

Political Correctness and "Good Manners", or "Just being courteous" are in NO way synonymous.

Hard-core Political Correctness is dangerous and is absolute POISON to a Free Society.

That does NOT mean you can't be nice to people. Or at least civil.

Freedom really does mean FREEDOM, folks. My Grandfather's generation fought and died for it, and we should be ASHAMED of how we've treated it. We are simply just pissing it away like it means nothing.

I really didn't intend to go into streaming consciousness rant mode, but the idea of freedom tends to churn up some deep feelings for me.

edit on 20-12-2015 by MteWamp because: frakked up spell checker

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   

The hygiene hypothesis posits that a lack of exposure to infectious agents and parasites increases susceptibility to allergies by suppressing the natural development of the body's immune system.

I see a parallel in the social realm.

This generations lack of exposure to truly systemic racism, sexism, etc. has increased their sensitivity to the slightest of perceived discriminatory acts.

People of previous generations (perhaps parents & grandparents) fought for Civil Rights etc etc. - this generation are left asking "What have I done?" -

People who have perhaps the best of intentions, can attack and destroy pretty innocuous aspects of culture.

So our immune system (aka social justice warriors) are destroying healthy body tissue by mistake.

The P.C. Auto-immune disease. An otherwise healthy and essential process ...... hyper-sensitive and run amok.

edit on 145067196012bSun, 20 Dec 2015 22:26:00 -0600pmth0000001200000000 by UmbraSumus because: sp

posted on Dec, 20 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   
When I read the title of this thread, I thought I was going to disagree, but you make a great case by bringing in some examples of real PC situations and comparing them to people who you consider to be simply rude. S&F

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   
PC kind of reminds me of Modern Day Feminism.

In the past, it was a great thing, completely useful, and it changed society for the better. Now it's just this disgusting tool used to bully others for the right to progress one's own self superiority on others around them.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 02:06 AM
link   

To sum it up. You are right. Trump and others like him who behave that way in life lack any filter and good manners. It's not about political correctness with most of them. But sometimes people do call things out for what they are and the PC crowd get all upset because they are overly sensitive and start the name calling and labeling like calling people bigots and racists etc. It cuts both ways.

Unless an individual possesses critical thought and a basic core of human understanding and common sense then they won't differentiate these things though. That is the saddest aspect of where America is culturally speaking and it's far more mainstream than anyone wants to acknowledge.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 04:06 AM
link   

They are indeed the same thing - one man's political correctness is another's good manners.

And each person makes a judgement call as to when they are being polite for goodness sake and when they're being good for political reasons.

One thing that does seem empirically intransigent to me is that the former has meaning and the latter is meaningless.

Another way to look at it is to say that a sociopath knows WHEN to be 'good' and the rest of us (hopefully) know WHY we should be good.

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   
PC as I see it is nothing more than self interest groups attempting to promote themselves and their ilk above all others, and even then, from personal observation, there are those within those groups who seem to find a need to be the "special" ones, above their fellows.

Typical of this idiocy is a little thing I noticed at work a couple of years ago. The company line is that everyone is treated equally, irrespective of sexual orientation, colour, ethnicity etc. Then one day I arrived at the office to find posters had gone up in each building overnight promoting the company "diversity and inclusion" week. A quick scan of the posters then revealed email addresses and contact info for the LGBTQ123XYZ group, the Latino group, the African American group, the womens group and a couple of other internal groups.
I immediately found it rather ironic that on the one hand we are all told that we are equal, while at the same time, the company feels it needs to be seen to be promoting it's diversity and inclusion credentials by allowing these internal cliques!

That's one thing I find so funny about it all these days. It's not enough to foster a feeling of equality, they then feel the need to promote, and to be seen to support, their equality credentials by allowing cliques to operate within the organization and to push their separate lines of political correctness and points of view, above those of others. I have no doubt that, as a heterosexual white male, applying to join any of those groups would have been frowned upon!

Again, from personal observation, it's often people from outside these cliques / groups (whatever you want to call them) that are the ones pushing the PC crap on others, while those supposedly in need of protection from such harrowing and insulting phrases such as "Merry Christmas", for instance, really don't give a hoot about it. Another example is every year as we approach St. Georges Day, the rags like The Sun and others start publishing stories of outrage after some council idiot bans flying of the flag, so as not to offend Johnny Foreigner! Meanwhile Johnny Foreigner doesn't really care a bit and wonders what all the fuss is about.

The way things have morphed though, you don't even have to be directly addressed or targeted by the offending phrase or action in order to claim offence. I mean, seriously, what the hell? People used to have thick skins and if someone was spouting stuff they didn't agree with or found offensive, they'd simply walk away or change the channel, not call the police and take it to the courts.

These days, groupthink is the order of the day. Anyone having an opinion on something contrary to the promoted narrative is now considered a "hater" (another phrase that makes me chuckle!) and, according to some, are suffering from mental disorders and must be medicated. I'd rather stay on the outside and not part of the herd mentality that now prevails.

Sorry for the rant... too much coffee I think!

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   

a youtube channel that i frequent made a good video on the subject recently

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

White guilt is the individual or collective guilt felt by some white people for harm resulting from racist treatment of ethnic minorities by whites both historically and currently.

Race Together with Starbucks... AKA, let me tell you about your white guilt.

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...

posted on Dec, 21 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Necrobile

"They were so anti-racism, that it made me feel they were very racist."

There it is, right there... A lot of people openly support the president because that's their way of saying they're not racist. Nothing but cowards.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join