It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geminids "Asteroid" Meteor Shower 2015

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
As usual, TN is blanketed under clouds!

So, for the usual viewing places on the internet:
Space.com

Now, most of you probably know that but, just in case some member out there does not...

It is at it's peak (the shower) tonight.
Time and Date

Radiating from near the bright stars Castor and Pollux in the constellation Gemini the Twins, the Geminid meteor shower is one of the finest meteors showers visible in either the Northern or the Southern Hemisphere. Best yet, in 2015, there is no moon to obscure this shower. The meteors are plentiful, rivaling the August Perseids. They are often bold, white and bright. The zenithal hourly rate for the Geminids is up to 120 meteors per hour, after some good displays in recent years. That is the predicted best rate of the shower, which you might see if you’re watching in a dark country sky on the night of the peak, around 2 a.m. local time (the time on your clock no matter where you are on Earth), when the radiant point is highest in the sky. In 2015, the slender waxing crescent moon will set soon after the sun, providing a wonderful cover of darkness for the Geminid meteor shower. Your best bet is to watch on the night of December 13 (morning of December 14) from mid-evening (9 to 10 p.m.) until dawn.

There will be a live "tweet" session on Marshall Space Flight Center's Twitter.
Twitter

The Geminids are slow moving and some of the most easily viewed (unless you're in TN with cloud cover
)

The shower is thought to be intensifying every year and recent showers have seen 120–160 meteors per hour under optimal conditions

If anyone else knows of any other locations (internet) for live viewing, please let me know!
Thanks in advance!

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Awesome! I always greatly appreciate when ATS members give reminders of cool events like this. Thanks very much!

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Myself and Mrsnonspecific were looking to head out to Avebury stone circle and watch them.

As is often the way the UK is covered in cloud and pissing down.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Well, if you aren't able to see the shower perhaps you can visit The Red Lion Pub. If I am correct in it's location and it's supposed hauntings. Maybe you will see a ghost instead!

a reply to: Ghost147

You are more than welcome!

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

I'm in TN. the sky is partly cloudy out my way. I'm still going to watch and hopefully get lucky!

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   

This is the second one I'm missing due to cloud cover. I live in an International Dark Sky Park so I've really been looking forward to seeing one since I moved here. Not much hope of it clearing for this one.

Thanks for pointing it out for those who may have clear skies!

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
It's cloudy on the KY/TN border too. I've been waiting for this since the last shower was clouded out. I try to watch all of them each month.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: spartanwarrior

It is a shame!
This is the MOST spectacular of all the showers...

I went out and there is a lot of sporadic cloud cover still.
It is windy too!

I will keep looking until the rains come...

Good luck!

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

There is only one that I know of in TN.
Pickett State Park. not too awful far from me...

I hope it clears for you!

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Staroth

Wishing you luck neighbor!

Hoping the rains hold off!

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Here over by Bonnaroo land and yep it is pretty off and on cloudy. Hoping might get a few chances to see something.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I'll be sure to keep a look out. I saw some clouds. Hopefully they thin out. It seems like any time something cool happens like this it's cloudy.

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark
Story of my life!
LOL

a reply to: OzManHero
Bonnaroo!!!!
My nephew worked it this year...you wouldn't believe the money he made OR the stuff he got...

Or maybe you would!
Went outside again...still can't see crap!
I bundled up and everything (wussy here!) set in for a long spell...nothing.

On the space.com link they were seeing all sorts of stuff in Dubai! Why am I NOT in Dubai? OR...the canary islands!?
Oh, yeah, I know the answer.
edit on 13-12-2015 by TNMockingbird because: more specific

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I got to see ten meteors over a short period of time in the livestream. Pretty cool
Thanks for the heads up.
edit on 13-12-2015 by DarkestConspiracyMoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: DarkestConspiracyMoon

I'm pretty sure when I go outside (usually during the musical interlude on livestream) they are seen on the link.
Then I come in and nothing...just can't catch a break OR sit still...LOL!

Glad you are enjoying!

posted on Dec, 13 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I just came inside. It was cloudy, of course. Maybe next time.

posted on Feb, 25 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I saw this it was spectacular. I wish I had my canon sure shot. Too bad it was broke in the move
Anyone have any good stills of these?
edit on 25-2-2016 by stankarkutnyby because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join