It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it wrong to distrust absolutley everything and pretty much everybody in the whole world?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:06 AM
link   
The other day I was speaking to someone who has installed a new system in his house that means he can use his smart phone to alter the settings of his central heating and turn it on or off from anywhere in the world, Sounds pretty cool right?

Not to me, my first comment was that I could not trust the gas company to pop the heating on for an hour in the middle of the night.

This may sound pointless but imagine even half an hour across 8 million homes, that would definatley increase the shareholders dividend at the end of the financial year! My friend looked at me in disarray an said "Why do you have to distrust everything in the world", The truth is I don't know why.

Maybe it is because every goverment we have ever had, every business I have ever worked for and every company I have ever bought something from has only had their own interests at heart and will lie cheat and steal for financial gain.

I used to be an optimist but nearly 40 years of this has made me distrustfull, cynical and pessamistic about pretty much everything.

Does anyone else feel this way or am I just turning into Goerge Carlin?

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Wrong and right don't come into it. It is a survival skill that reflects the climate of the modern age.

I am exactly the same in this regard. Even my closest family have proved to be totally untrustworthy when the chips were down.

I trust nobody except myself. I keep my honour and honesty despite the way that others have treated me. I keep all my transactions, social and financial to a minimum.

Even so, in the last three weeks I have had more problems of being let down. It is hard to avoid unless one hides in a cave. Even then Mama Nature will let you down, hah!

Keep squinty discerning Clint Eastwood snake eyes cynicism and you will not have had false expectations at least.

Lol, do you trust Mrs Nonspecific? I hope so. Yet there again I would not even trust a partner because the two I had before could not be trusted.

That is one thing Tupac and I have in common:

T R U S T N O B O D Y

Yes, I heard all the times people said "I am there for you", but those times I needed someone nobody was ever there, not even baby Jesus!

edit on 10-12-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific I all depends there are some people you should put your trust in like doctors and brain surgeons, if you don't trust these people to look out for your best interests you could potentially harm your health. There are plenty of people who don't have much faith in the medical industry, who would rather trust alternative medical gurus than well trained medical physicians. I guess it all depends on who you are putting your trust into and do your own homework about them, if that makes you feel more comfortable. I tend to be quite trusting. Very rarely have I been let down by those I have put my trust in, sometimes the risk of trusting some people is so small that it doesn't matter if your trust is betrayed. I don't trust my brother or some of my friends, but still go with them because the risk is not worth the potential falling out. You live and learn.
I put my trust in the universe it's been around for eternity and made few mistakes

edit on 10-12-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Sounds like common sense when your dealing with massive profit-driven corporations. Just look at their track record.

A report came out recently here in Canada about Ontario's Hydro One service price gouging it's customers for over 8 years. If these companies can find a way to make a buck, they'll do it.

Ontario residents paid $37-billion above market for electricity over eight years
edit on 10-12-2015 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

Wrong and right don't come into it. It is a survival skill that reflects the climate of the modern age.

I am exactly the same in this regard. Even my closest family have proved to be totally untrustworthy when the chips were down.

I trust nobody except myself. I keep my honour and honesty despite the way that others have treated me. I keep all my transactions, social and financial to a minimum.

Even so, in the last three weeks I have had more problems of being let down. It is hard to avoid unless one hides in a cave. Even then Mama Nature will let you down, hah!

Keep squinty discerning Clint Eastwood snake eyes cynicism and you will not have had false expectations at least.

Lol, do you trust Mrs Nonspecific? I hope so. Yet there again I would not even trust a partner because the two I had before could not be trusted.

Yes I trust Mrsnonspecific! And maybe 3 other people in the world as well but I am very wary of strangers and it takes an aful lot of time to trust new people these days, It's sad but statistically they are more likley to be an arsehole than not,

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: nonspecific I all depends there are some people you should put your trust in like doctors and brain surgeons, if you don't trust these people to look out for your best interests you could potentially harm your health. There are plenty of people who don't have much faith in the medical industry, who would rather trust alternative medical gurus than well trained medical physicians. I guess it all depends on who you are putting your trust into and do your own homework about them, if that makes you feel more comfortable. I tend to be quite trusting. Very rarely have I been let down by those I have put my trust in, sometimes the risk of trusting some people is so small that it doesn't matter if your trust is betrayed. I don't trust my brother or some of my friends, but still go with them because the risk is not worth the potential falling out. You live and learn.
I put my trust in the universe it's been around for eternity and made few mistakes

As we have a national health service then yes I trust doctors with my health but if I lived in a country that had a private healthcare system then I would expect them to do what was good for the shareholders regardless if it was good for me.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:43 AM
link   
No. It's called intelligence

Being cautionary is nothing to be ashamed of. However, you still want to manage it to the extent that it doesn't control you entirely.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   

I can only nod in agreement. I am glad you have some people who you can count on.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Fair point but all physicians do make the Hippocratic oath

The Hippocratic Oath is an oath historically taken by physicians. It is one of the most widely known of Greek medical texts. In its original form, it requires a new physician to swear, by a number of healing gods, to uphold specific ethical standards.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
Fair point but all physicians do make the Hippocratic oath

The Hippocratic Oath is an oath historically taken by physicians. It is one of the most widely known of Greek medical texts. In its original form, it requires a new physician to swear, by a number of healing gods, to uphold specific ethical standards.

I am still not sure I would trust them if money was involved, I used to be an account manager for a petfood wholesaler and a brand leading petfood manufacturer started selling certain foods through vetinary surgorys only, not available in the shops. The ammount of vets all of a sudden "prescribing" these foods at around 30% more than the shop bought versions was enough to alter profits for the company even though the Vets only food was almost identical.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Nonspecific,

I think it is unhelpful to couch the question in such terms, to approach the subject from the angle you appear to have approached it from.

Let me ask you a different question. Should trust be given automatically, or earned over time?

Einstein once defined insanity as "doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results." Trusting a government which has consistently proven itself incapable of telling the truth about its motivations, trusting banks which have consistently shown their unwillingness to do right by their customers, trusting businesses, departments, institutions, to do what they say they are doing, for the money they quote, for the reasons they state, is madness, insanity.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Nonspecific,

I think it is unhelpful to couch the question in such terms, to approach the subject from the angle you appear to have approached it from.

Let me ask you a different question. Should trust be given automatically, or earned over time?

Einstein once defined insanity as "doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results." Trusting a government which has consistently proven itself incapable of telling the truth about its motivations, trusting banks which have consistently shown their unwillingness to do right by their customers, trusting businesses, departments, institutions, to do what they say they are doing, for the money they quote, for the reasons they state, is madness, insanity.

If you had asked me that question 10 years ago I would have said that trust should be given automatically, A very innocent until proven guilty attitude to life.

The examples you give however coupled with false promises by previous employers and individuals given only to extract as much effort from me as possible whilst giving as little back in return as possible has placed me in the unfortunate position of distrusting just about everything even when it appears to be genuine.

Many years ago I worked for a company at we all got a letter saying that due to a bad year we would not recive our usual christmas bonus, the next day the MD turned up in a spanking new £75k Porche. At the time I was ouraged but if it happened now I would not be at all suprised or even bothered, It's just the way things are.

On a side note however he did find his beleved new toy had been givin some rather nice go faster stripes in red gloss paint and a rather rude word painted on the bonnet. A random act of mindless violence i think and nothing to do with the lack of christmas bonus.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 06:37 AM
link   
It's because money makes the wheels go round and people only care about more money, most morons will do anything for an extra buck.

The more you distrust the closer to the truth you are. Keep up the good work

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I learned not to trust people very early in life and have found no reason to change my opinion of them. People may do a good deed here and there, but on the whole, if they think they can get an advantage, they'll take it.
Trust is earned.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Delicious!

I think it is worth mentioning that one has to go with ones gut, rather than simply operating by rote. It is true that the world will offer you countless reasons to be distrustful, but identifying those moments and people in which you can place a measure of trust is important. It is necessary to be capable of trusting those who strike you as worthy within the first moments of meeting, in the event that you are lucky enough to meet such people.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Most people view the world with a "What's in it for me attitude." That is a natural human trait, good for the continuing of the species or at least that dab of it. But the pitfalls of that single-minded, short-sightedness are huge. The most defensive move is to always ask yourself what is in this deal for the other person. When you learn to correctly, rationally and logically deduce that factor, then you can bear your breast to the world without being found to be, in hindsight, an idiot having should have known better in the first place.

Everybody has an agenda, even you. Expect it. And some people can spot a sucker a mile away.

My views on this issue come not so much from experiences with other people, but with natural phenomena that I've experienced at an early age that taught a strong, lasting message that truly, nothing is as it seems.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Trust some people and dont trust others. Its not rocket science.

Also, i might be wrng, but the phone controlling your heater is independant from the gas company. Plus, you already trust them enough to chanrge you correctly, install the heater correctly etc... so you not trusting them over one thing is totally moot.

Keep up like this and you are on a fast track to becoming one of those weirdos nobody invites to parties. But on the other hand, you will fit in great on ATS.

I know which option id choose.
edit on 10-12-2015 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014

Also, i might be wrng, but the phone controlling your heater is independant from the gas company. Plus, you already trust them enough to chanrge you correctly, install the heater correctly etc... so you not trusting them over one thing is totally moot.

Keep up like this and you are on a fast track to becoming one of those weirds nobody invited to parties. But on the other hand, you will fit in great on ATS.

Yes the app is seperate but who is to know there is no back door or hack for the utility company to exploit? Just look at Vw and the emmsions scandal.

I don't like going to parties, they are full of boring people talking about TV, sports and the impending threat of Sharia law and muslamic ray guns.

I'd much rather stay at home with ATS and a few beers
edit on 10/12/2015 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

Keep up like this and you are on a fast track to becoming one of those weirds nobody invited to parties. But on the other hand, you will fit in great on ATS.

Yes the app is seperate but who is to know there is no back door or hack for the utility company to exploit? Just look at Vw and the emmsions scandal.

I don't like going to parties, they are full of boring people talking about TV, sports and the impending threat of Sharia law and muslamic ray guns.

Id suggest you get new friends then. Those parties sounds horrible. Parties with mine are nothing like that. Also, i would suggest that spending too long on ATS is very bad for your mental well being. Im seing serious.

posted on Dec, 10 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

Also, what you are suggestign isnt worth worrying about. Unless you want to waste your whole life. Your call. Good luck

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join