It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Orrin Hatch wants to tear down the wall of separation between church and state

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

In a biting editorial, written for the conservative Washington Times, long-time Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT) suggests a novel and literal approach to the First Amendment, arguing that the wall of separation between the state and the church is non-existent despite what the Supreme Court has to say about it.

Hatch notes that Thomas Jefferson’s position on religious freedom was embodied in his Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom, but that his approach to keeping the state and the church separate was a minority opinion at the time. The more dominant view, according to Hatch, was John Adams’ model, which instituted a “mild and equitable establishment of religion” that enshrined “Christian piety and virtue.”

Sen. Orin, there's a lot of people in the US that really don't want a theocracy. I know that sound odd but it true.

According to Hatch “denying religious organizations the same opportunities afforded to secular counterparts”is unconstitutional.

“It tells the religious believer that in order to participate fully in public life, he should cabin and hide his religious devotion,” he concludes.

Careful Mr. Hatch there a bunch of voodoo heathens that would like nothing more than to run outside nekked beatin drums. We can't allow that!!!

Or does your ideas only apply the the religion you profess and subscribe to. Or can we decide for ourselves how we want to express our devotion?

edit on 30-11-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

What does a senator do?

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: rajas

What does a senator do?

Mostly they drink alcohol, play golf and eat in fancy restaurants with their girl friends.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Do they have a saying about anything?

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

I think the old good senator is a bit behind times.

“It tells the religious believer that in order to participate fully in public life, he should cabin and hide his religious devotion,” he concludes.

Somebody needs to tell the old senator that is not so much about "devotion" but fanatic believes, we all know what fanatics can do in the name of their right to worship and make sure that their believes are understood by everybody no only the people that subscribe to them.

long-time Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT) is becoming senile, time to retired.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: rajas

Do they have a saying about anything?

Not by themselves but get a bunch of them together and they can make laws so you can't drive fast or pee in public.

And send people off to war....

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I am not surprised nor should we be shocked by such.

Sen. Hatch would love it if church's could get involved in politics. And why not, after all there are a few with money to spend on political movements. So would he be happy if the church's were audited and forced to pay taxes, losing their tax exempt status? And that is just the beginning. I wonder what he would say if some groups got their way, how he would be willing to justify the out right genocide and mass murder cause church groups do not like homosexuals? Could he stomach the rise of Nazi like laws and Jim Crow again? And can you think of any group that would love to have this ability? I can think of at least 3 or 4 who would jump at this. And like all bad laws, they never affect for the good and harm the majority.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Not by themselves but get a bunch of them together and they can make laws so you can't drive fast or pee in public.

Screw them, I often do both.

At the same time.

link   

Sen. Orin, there's a lot of people in the US that really don't want a theocracy. I know that sound odd but it true.

You already live in a theocracy. Right now you, your friends, your family, your children are being held accountable to divine law and yet the government doesn't require church attendance. And yet many homeless are there because they willfully refuse to follow simple Biblical law, rules that aren't that hard to follow and PROVIDE HAPPINESS and meaning.

The government needs to be changed to reflect that. I agree with Orrin Hatch and admire how many Mormons live their lives.

link   

The First Amendment says, quite simply, that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.” On its face, this language affects only one actor, Congress, not states and local governments, and not individual citizens.

This statement stood out to me for obvious reasons.

He is injecting the idea that the push for theocracy can be implemented at a local level and still remain within the confines of the constitution.

This is dangerous territory.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Miracula2

And yet many homeless are there because they willfully refuse to follow simple Biblical law, rules that aren't that hard to follow and PROVIDE HAPPINESS and meaning.

Which 'Biblical laws' should we be following?

I like the one where I get to chuck rocks at other people's coconuts. Can we use that one?

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

TMI.

I really didn't need to know that... Why do I have an image of Ceasar speedin' down the interstate, peein' out the window as State Police chase him?

that's just disturbing...

Sen. Hatch, being from Utah, can perhaps be forgiven for thinking that this is what people are yearning for...

Not so much, Senator. Not so much.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
Why do I have an image of Ceasar speedin' down the interstate, peein' out the window as State Police chase him?

that's just disturbing...

You left out spewing vulgarities in Latin.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Poor old Orin. Seems he’s losing his battle with dementia.

It seems our political system in general is becoming more and more radicalized. I would think our founding fathers are probably rolling over in their graves about now. I doubt seriously that current day America is what they had in mind.

God Bless America...

PS: Something about that idea to "run outside nekked beatin drums" sounds appealing, though...

edit on 11/30/2015 by netbound because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
If I was a senator I would require all farmers to put clothes on their animals. Driving by a animal field you can see all their nasty bits plain as day.

Think of the Children, please think of the children!!

and big dogs need diapers

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   

If I was a senator I would require all farmers to put clothes on their animals. Driving by a animal field you can see all their nasty bits plain as day.

But how would some of the dear Senator's constituents experience their first instance of carnal knowledge if that were that case?

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

But how would some of the dear Senator's constituents experience their first instance of carnal knowledge if that were that case?

You mean like in...".Look Homer, some sheep...and that one on the left is kinda cute."

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Miracula2

You already live in a theocracy. Right now you, your friends, your family, your children are being held accountable to divine law and yet the government doesn't require church attendance. And yet many homeless are there because they willfully refuse to follow simple Biblical law, rules that aren't that hard to follow and PROVIDE HAPPINESS and meaning.

The government needs to be changed to reflect that. I agree with Orrin Hatch and admire how many Mormons live their lives.

Homeless people are homeless because they don't adhere to a particular cult's doctrine?

That is strange because there's that whole camel through the eye of a needle thing... are you saying that rich people are also being punished by forfeiting their chances to get into "heaven"?

Anyway, now I know I can ignore those evil leeches asking me for money. You know, the people passing around a can to collect money. Wait... that sounds an awful lot like church folk collecting tithe.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Now you just had to make it more disturbing, didn't you?

Yet, somehow, hilarious...

Adding latin vulgarities to it somehow gives it a Benny Hill'esque feel to it.

Let me know how it turns out. Assuming it isn't all over CNN/FOX.

posted on Nov, 30 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
You've got some really good ideas, olaru. I think you should run for office.

Dressing up the cattle is a real winner as long as they can have Casual Fridays. Great idea!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join